2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

It looks like Vettel isn't out of the woods yet.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 26455.html

Chrome's translation:
Auto motor and sport has learned that Todt is thinking about citing Vettel before the sports court. There, he could be at risk of a race ban for a race . A decision on whether or not to come to a negotiation should fall this week.
197 104 103 7

Vasconia

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Squid wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 21:13
And there it is. The reason why Seb still hasn't said absolutely anything publicly about the second contact. Many people are criticizing Vettel for not apologizing straight away, but if the FIA is not done with them yet, saying anything could hurt them even further. Wait until FIA closes the file on this, then make the statement.

If he publicly said it was intentional, the FIA has a confession.
If he publicly said it was accidental and the FIA decides it was intentional, they might come down even harder.

It's just better to not say anything yet.
Phil wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 14:35
PPS: I think the FIA is more limited now to do something as anything will have a bigger influence on the WDC (which no one wants). So my guess is what ever comes, a race ban will not be it. Perhaps a big fine?
Force Vettel to do cheesy road safety ads for TV.
While he is forced to write everyday on Twitter. He hates this stuff. :mrgreen:

I hope there is no additonal punishment. He got a penalti, let´s move on. Austria cant come soon enough.

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:
IMO - this is just bad. If the stewards may have come up with a more "appropriate punishment" than the 10 seconds stop-and-go (like a disqualification), this would be a thing of the past and we'd be looking forward. Because of it, we may have a bigger influence on the WDC and in a totally unrelated race which is always just bad for F1, bad for the sport etc.

If Seb had been disqualified from Baku, the WDC gap would have been down to zero which would have been a lot better (and solved by now) than potential future-race-ban that could cost way more points.

Perhaps one could say that if Vettel had taken an apologetic stance post race (instead of maintaining he was in the right and avoid the questions), he could have avoided any such potential aftermath.

PS: I still like Seb.

PPS: I think the FIA is more limited now to do something as anything will have a bigger influence on the WDC (which no one wants). So my guess is what ever comes, a race ban will not be it. Perhaps a big fine?
Well, worst case it could be a race ban. It could also just be that in the end Seb still gets DSQ'ed from the results in Baku.

iotar__

WaikeCU wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 09:05
Phil wrote:
IMO - this is just bad. If the stewards may have come up with a more "appropriate punishment" than the 10 seconds stop-and-go (like a disqualification), this would be a thing of the past and we'd be looking forward. Because of it, we may have a bigger influence on the WDC and in a totally unrelated race which is always just bad for F1, bad for the sport etc.

If Seb had been disqualified from Baku, the WDC gap would have been down to zero which would have been a lot better (and solved by now) than potential future-race-ban that could cost way more points.

Perhaps one could say that if Vettel had taken an apologetic stance post race (instead of maintaining he was in the right and avoid the questions), he could have avoided any such potential aftermath.

PS: I still like Seb.

Well, worst case it could be a race ban. It could also just be that in the end Seb still gets DSQ'ed from the results in Baku.
- They won't do anything nor should they, overreaction fuelled by BS media. It was more stupid, self inflicted, warm blooded (another lost win) than dangerous or bad. What Ocon did was worse.
- They are probably waiting for apologies and public "it's all my fault","FIA is perfect and fair" circus like in Mexico.

- "I still like Seb."
The question is do you still like Ferrari losing wins, that would what the third/fourth time this season, plus Canada 2nd place. If you like Hamilton/Mercedes that's understandable =P~ . As for me, I am loving it.

Phil

iotar__ wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 10:20
- "I still like Seb."
The question is do you still like Ferrari losing wins, that would what the third/fourth time this season, plus Canada 2nd place. If you like Hamilton/Mercedes that's understandable =P~ . As for me, I am loving it.
I just wanted to clarify that. I am pretty much a Hamilton supporter, but I do genuinely like Seb. He's fun, intelligent, witty and I do respect him a lot for his driving. I think his meltdown was very stupid and I do believe that he did deserve a DSQ for that (if only to set a precedence that such things are unsportsmanlike and have absolutely no place in motorsport). Other than that though, he's cool. I'm not going to burn him or make him seem like he is evil or something. I'm also not going to find reasons to bash him just because he made an error in judgement in the heat of the moment. If he does get an additional penalty, I do hope it will be confined to the race in Baku (like suggested; disqualify his points for that race) and nothing more.

We're all human. That includes you, me and all drivers on the grid.

Speaking of which, Zidane head-butt was an iconic moment too. He got the red card for that, but I don't think that mattered in that moment anymore. I respect him for doing that and he took it like a man too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

santos
santos

Guess that most people are asking for DSQ for Vettel is because he still finished ahead of Hamilton. But if Vettel didn't made that stupid move, he could have won the race and Hamilton would still be fifth. So in the end, Hamilton can be thankful to Vettel. :)

wickedz50
wickedz50

Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 10:44
iotar__ wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 10:20
- "I still like Seb."
I just wanted to clarify that. I am pretty much a Hamilton supporter, but I do genuinely like Seb. He's fun, intelligent, witty and I do respect him a lot for his driving. I think his meltdown was very stupid and I do believe that he did deserve a DSQ for that (if only to set a precedence that such things are unsportsmanlike and have absolutely no place in motorsport). Other than that though, he's cool. I'm not going to burn him or make him seem like he is evil or something. I'm also not going to find reasons to bash him just because he made an error in judgement in the heat of the moment. If he does get an additional penalty, I do hope it will be confined to the race in Baku (like suggested; disqualify his points for that race) and nothing more.

We're all human. That includes you, me and all drivers on the grid.

Speaking of which, Zidane head-butt was an iconic moment too. He got the red card for that, but I don't think that mattered in that moment anymore. I respect him for doing that and he took it like a man too.
Oh man! Vettel gets compared with Zidane..love it.

Phil

Who wouldnt want to be compared to Zidane? Zidane is a legend. :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Steven
Owner

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

Reopened due to the apparent consideration of further post-race penalties

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

There has to be serious thoughts about a further penalty. Not necessarily for what the action he did on track but his attitude afterwards is bring the sport into disrepute. If he's denying that he did anything wrong by deliberately ramming another competitor then it sets a terrible example for the junior formulas. I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought up before the FIA again...

F1NAC

Can we stop with this junior formulas... C'mon this kids wont suddenly ram into each other...

giantfan10
giantfan10

bonjon1979 wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 13:14
There has to be serious thoughts about a further penalty. Not necessarily for what the action he did on track but his attitude afterwards is bring the sport into disrepute. If he's denying that he did anything wrong by deliberately ramming another competitor then it sets a terrible example for the junior formulas. I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought up before the FIA again...
sheesh i mean really? i'm amazed at all the faux outrage because vettel bumped into hamilton at less than 10 miles per hour...its really nauseating to be honest.
he got a 10 second stop and go penalty which is basically 30+ seconds.
what we have here is mercedes fans angry because he finished ahead of hamilton so lets pile on and act like vettel committed murder or some such thing.
The only person that lost anything in that whole incident is vettel, a race win and a 37 point championship lead... not Hamilton so i suggest you merc fans be happy with the gift you already got and stop trying to be greedy.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

F1NAC wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 13:16
Can we stop with this junior formulas... C'mon this kids wont suddenly ram into each other...
You're so completely wrong. Kids look up to the stars of their sport and it's a terrible example. It also shows a total disregard for those who imposed the penalty upon him.

Vettel should've come out and said he made a stupid mistake and was sorry. The story would be finished. Or do you think it's acceptable for him to keep on with the 'I did nothing wrong' attitude despite the clear evidence to the contrary.

Tom145145
Tom145145

F1NAC wrote:
You may not have the same opinion but it's doesn't mean it's not worth discussing. These guys are idols, this sort of behaviour is a problem in junior formula and karting...it sets a poor example and the sport is yet again putting entertainment ahead of consistency with penalties. It should have been dealt with without consideration of the championship.

santos
santos

F1NAC wrote:
Yeah i found interesting when Hamilton said that this would be a bad example to the young guys... and i remembered about him making a vídeo or taking pictures, while riding a motorcycle...
If the FIA give another penalty to Vettel, that will be because of the presure that it is being made by the media. That's not a good sign for the president of FIA.