Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Sasha
Sasha

Re: Honda Power Unit

GB gas/hybrid will be allowed 2040+

diffuser

Right, so the devil is in the details ..What is "their" definition of a Hybrid?

My understanding of the twin turbo V6 that we keep talking about will not have a MGU-H and basically will just have regenerative braking?

Andres125sx

adrianjordan wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 20:05
Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 17:31
Honda deserve another chance because this is the first year they pass on a concept to be further developed the next year instead of starting from scratch again.
Wasn't the 2016 unit an evolution of the 2015 one??
Yes, Honda was forced to continue in 2016 with 2015 concept due to the token restrictions wich didn´t allow them to change the concept (it would have required more tokens than available), despite they knew it was a dead end road :wink:

Andres125sx

HPD wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 16:41
Soichiro wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 15:23
GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:10
Apparently Hasegawa told some Spanish jurnalist that full spec 3 can be expected in SPA.
If they can put on those 30kW as is being said, then they will reach Renault PU power (appx.).
That should put McHonda to 4th with occasional opportunity to reach for more points if front runners mess it up. IF reliability is there...
To stop the rumor of "Spa". I will explain where this comes from..
The Spanish journalist "Carlos Miquel" dines with Hasegawa.
Hasegawa said that they hope to have a better half of the year and that he has a lot of faith in the "deep and next evolution" (Hasegawa never confirmed anything in "Spa")

https://twitter.com/carlosmiquelf1/stat ... 6492962817

Also Albert Fabrega was saying that Honda is seeing good results for the next evolution.
This could be the words of Alonso "I expect other gifts, there are things moving behind the scenes"
That quote from Alonso is missing the last part, it was a reply to the journalist question asking if he gets this 7th position as a birthday gift, he said "I expect other gifts, there are things moving behind the scenes wich are not related with a 7th position".

To me that means he knows something good about next spec PU

About that comment from the spanish journalist, maybe Hasegawa didn´t confirm Spa, but he said things will be much better from now on, wich means the update is very close, so maybe not Spa confirmation, but it´s confirming the next spec will be used very soon

Great news, I´m getting exicted again after a period were my hopes had been floored

Sasha
Sasha

Just look at Alonso's last lap to see what is possible when the wick is turn up to max for this spec PU!
(and there is still a big step spec PU coming)

Fastest lap
And the closest to others top speed at all measured sections during this season

Also was keeping pace with Verstappen the last 10 laps

godlameroso

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:56
HPD wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 16:41
Soichiro wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 15:23

If they can put on those 30kW as is being said, then they will reach Renault PU power (appx.).
That should put McHonda to 4th with occasional opportunity to reach for more points if front runners mess it up. IF reliability is there...
To stop the rumor of "Spa". I will explain where this comes from..
The Spanish journalist "Carlos Miquel" dines with Hasegawa.
Hasegawa said that they hope to have a better half of the year and that he has a lot of faith in the "deep and next evolution" (Hasegawa never confirmed anything in "Spa")

https://twitter.com/carlosmiquelf1/stat ... 6492962817

Also Albert Fabrega was saying that Honda is seeing good results for the next evolution.
This could be the words of Alonso "I expect other gifts, there are things moving behind the scenes"
That quote from Alonso is missing the last part, it was a reply to the journalist question asking if he gets this 7th position as a birthday gift, he said "I expect other gifts, there are things moving behind the scenes wich are not related with a 7th position".

To me that means he knows something good about next spec PU

About that comment from the spanish journalist, maybe Hasegawa didn´t confirm Spa, but he said things will be much better from now on, wich means the update is very close, so maybe not Spa confirmation, but it´s confirming the next spec will be used very soon

Great news, I´m getting exicted again after a period were my hopes had been floored
I still don't expect any serious improvement until around Malaysia or Suzuka at the earliest, but if they can figure it out and on the car before then you won't hear me complain.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

@Wazari or @Sasha

Hasegawa told spanish jurnalist update is possible for SPA.

Can you confirm you understood that message?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Singabule
Singabule

Sasha wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:08
Just look at Alonso's last lap to see what is possible when the wick is turn up to max for this spec PU!

Fastest lap

Reliability Come first, power second. Look like they turned down power so much in order to finish race. Also thanks for pirelli to give them opportunity to validate reliability and drivability

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Singabule wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:36
Sasha wrote:

Fastest lap

Reliability Come first, power second. Look like they turned down power so much in order to finish race. Also thanks for pirelli to give them opportunity to validate reliability and drivability
MGU-H is still an issue, seems the rest isn't an (major) issue anymore.

I think they will be able to add some more power for Spa if they solve the last reliability problems in the next few weeks.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

ArcticWolfie wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:40
Singabule wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:36
Sasha wrote:

Fastest lap

MGU-H is still an issue, seems the rest isn't an (major) issue anymore.

I think they will be able to add some more power for Spa if they solve the last reliability problems in the next few weeks.
Completely agree although perhaps not turned down as much as suggested by previous comments.

damager21
damager21

What a week. Sauber cancelled their 2018 deal with Honda and now McLaren is ahead of Sauber in the Constructors championship.

Still a long way to go but if Honda can get another 40bhp in the second half, I would say game on for 2018

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 16:57
@Wazari or @Sasha

I'm sure there were be updates, but I highly doubt the big "Spec 4". Not enough time. I am beginning the wonder if we will see that update this season. "Spec 4" has the combustion process that our team was specifically working on and for selfish reasons I would like very much to see this update implemented. I know it will but when??? More power, same fuel consumption, better torque characteristics. IMO, "Spec 4" is what should have been used at season's start but wasn't with weight and COG reasons I was told. Sigh.............
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

etusch

Wazari wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:42
GoranF1 wrote:
@Wazari or @Sasha

I'm sure there were be updates, but I highly doubt the big "Spec 4". Not enough time. I am beginning the wonder if we will see that update this season. "Spec 4" has the combustion process that our team was specifically working on and for selfish reasons I would like very much to see this update implemented. I know it will but when??? More power, same fuel consumption, better torque characteristics. IMO, "Spec 4" is what should have been used at season's start but wasn't with weight and COG reasons I was told. Sigh.............
Is it the only reason delaying that update or additionally need of gaining same efficiency on mgu-h with new efficienct combustion process. You know when you get efficiency on combustion you lost generation on mgu-h as hasegawa and forumers talked about earlier.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:42
GoranF1 wrote:
@Wazari or @Sasha

Thanks for the answer....Honda has been pushed alot in the media, from Mclaren and from Alonso so maybe that spec 4 update whit new combustion has been fast forwarded a bit.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ZakB
ZakB

Well, at least they same to be on the right track. The car is absolutely amazing, good to see McLaren producing a good chassis with rapid development. Let's hope Honda will follow quickly.