2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

McLaren road car powered by dCi engine :D

Sonador
Sonador

Re: Honda Power Unit

harjan wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:23
Weird right- you deliver an engine that's unreliable and underpowered to one of the most successful teams in F1 and they start complaining after 3 years..

I'm very very happy. Hope Honda finds it feet in the more relaxed environment STR will bring and more than happy to see McLaren can start fighting for podiums again.
It is one thing to complain .

But you could do it internally, and with a lot more respect than Mclaren has done over the past 3 years!
The amount of bashing that took place was astonishing to me! Mclaren never took blame for the mistakes they made in this partnership! Bit Red Bull Renault like, but even worse.

To me that is a good example of bad leadership!

I am not a Mclaren fan anymore, i used to be a diehard mclaren fanboy for over 28 years.

ollandos
ollandos

my opinion for 2021 mclaren must build they own engine in house ...and that must start now ....

skoop
skoop

dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:08
It looks like Liberty Media played a big role in the whole swap.
What makes you think that?

DFX
DFX

etusch wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:36
Wonderful news for me because my first concern was seeing Honda in F1. With this deal Honda's F1 future guaranteed. I like to see them even if back of the grid. Of course prefer to see them winning.
Other thing that I am happy is McLaren won't benefit from Honda's possible development. I say so because I don't want to see them winning with Honda after so much insult.
I hope Honda will do their job good and also support Toro Rosso to beat McLaren with a good chassis.
For all of you wanting Mclaren to do bad, or even Honda. May I remind you that the partnership was broken by the two sides, Mclaren for wanting Honda to deliver more that they could and Honda for promising more that they could give.

I'm heartbroke that the partnership didnt work and hope the best for both parties. Toro Rosso will benefit the most from the extra money and Honda with them will have less pressure to perform.

In the end I do think that Mclaren and Alonso gone over the limits in their criticism, but I can understand the frustration. But let us all remind the criticism that Renault, who supplied them in their winning years, was given by RB when their engines didnt match their expectations, in contrast Mclaren criticism seems mild.

wesley123
wesley123

harjan wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:23
Weird right- you deliver an engine that's unreliable and underpowered to one of the most successful teams in F1 and they start complaining after 3 years..
It was fairly obvious that it needed time. These engines are very complex, which simply means you start on a back foot if you enter a year later.
The unnecessary pressure, and essentially all the blame for their misfortunes in the past three years(which is completely unreasonable when you consider the downward spiral they have had since 2013), McLaren put on Honda isn't helping much either. Of course it's not going to work if you don't actually bother to work together.
I'm very very happy. Hope Honda finds it feet in the more relaxed environment STR will bring and more than happy to see McLaren can start fighting for podiums again.
I'm calling it now; Toro Rosso will outscore McLaren in 2018. The Honda might be the worst engine, but the Renault isn't all that much better, and is actually the worst engine out of the 3 choices they had.

And McLaren has been running behind the development cycle since 2009. They always had to rely on silver bullets to be competitive since the 2009 rule change. An engine change, which also removes a whole lot of technical support as they wont be a factory team anymore, doesn't magically change that.

I don't know why it has become McLarens goal to destroy everything Dennis has (re)built.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

skoop
skoop

Mad wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:48
dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:47
Jacinto wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:12

Mclaren decline goes way back to 2007. Spygate started the chain of events that brought Mclaren to where it is today.

Until 2007, Mclaren was Mercedes "works team", and had been so for more than a decade. I believe that Mercedes was a Mclaren´s shareholder.

After that scandal, Mercedes set to establish his own team, buying Brawn GP and renaming it "Mercedes AMG Petronas"; Mclaren become just another customer and started the path to midfield trailing his former nemesis, Williams.

Honda was Mclaren´s last chance to return to greatness under current engine rules. Now, it´s clear that Mclaren decided to be midfielder, at least until 2021.
Yes, this is what I was getting at. Ironic, that the decline started the last time Fred was in the car. I remember when people thought Hamilton was crazy for jumping ship to Mercedes.
Porche seems to be heading towards Redbull, so unless Mclaren pours their own money into making their own/Cosworth engines, midfield is where they will stay.
Apparently Porsche isn't heading towards Red Bull. Christian Horner said that they have somithing to announce very soon themselfes and that it won't be Porsche or Honda. It will have to do with the car company they're working with.
Check this out: https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 9308960769

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

I'll say one thing about this whole situation. Why when it was clear midweek it was sorted did they delay it? It was well known and the info was bang on, all that happened was that we ended up with a bunch drivers having to lie with the constant line of 'I don't know' when they all obviously did. I counted up at least 7 Hulk, Sainz, Palmer, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Just announce it on Thursday instead of the pantomime we have just witnessed.

DFX
DFX

wesley123 wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:00

It was fairly obvious that it needed time. These engines are very complex, which simply means you start on a back foot if you enter a year later.
The unnecessary pressure, and essentially all the blame for their misfortunes in the past three years(which is completely unreasonable when you consider the downward spiral they have had since 2013), McLaren put on Honda isn't helping much either. Of course it's not going to work if you don't actually bother to work together.

I'm calling it now; Toro Rosso will outscore McLaren in 2018. The Honda might be the worst engine, but the Renault isn't all that much better, and is actually the worst engine out of the 3 choices they had.

And McLaren has been running behind the development cycle since 2009. They always had to rely on silver bullets to be competitive since the 2009 rule change. An engine change, which also removes a whole lot of technical support as they wont be a factory team anymore, doesn't magically change that.

I don't know why it has become McLarens goal to destroy everything Dennis has (re)built.
This is the most flawed argument possible.

1- They need time, but that's not how F1 works. Honda fell victim of its own promises, I doubt Mclaren would be ditching them if they told they would need 4 years to be competitive and Mclaren agreed with that. Both Mclaren e Honda didnt met their targets in this partnership.

2- F1 is always moving, the argument that 'since one team gone bad they can never go back' is absurd. Since the time cited, Mclaren have gone through a huge reestructuring and although last year chassis didnt impressed me too much, the Mcl 32 looks solid, needs work too do but has being praised as being one of the best.

3- Following that, it's very unlikely, even if Honda match Renault in 2018, that TR will be ahead of Mclaren. I would like to believe that Mclaren is taking a very calculated move. They know Honda plans for 2018, they have the numbers, even so they have gone with Renault. I dont think that is much of a gamble. TR can be great with extra cash to develop their car, but they are nowhere near Mclaren right now.

RS200E

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:12
I'll say one thing about this whole situation. Why when it was clear midweek it was sorted did they delay it? It was well known and the info was bang on, all that happened was that we ended up with a bunch drivers having to lie with the constant line of 'I don't know' when they all obviously did. I counted up at least 7 Hulk, Sainz, Palmer, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Just announce it on Thursday instead of the pantomime we have just witnessed.
Because they don't announce it when you or I feel it's necessary, they announce it when it suits them as it's their business, literally.

The question we should ask ourselves is why we are so impatient.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

marvin78
marvin78

.. and why we feel things like this ar sooo important...

RS200E

dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:42
I know what happened. I've followed the team ever since Button joined them.
By your last post you came across like you do not know what happened as did the poster you quoted. A very inaccurate conversation was going on between you two.

dren

There was nothing inaccurate about it. I posted an opinion.
Honda!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

RS200E wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:29
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:12
Because they don't announce it when you or I feel it's necessary, they announce it when it suits them as it's their business, literally.

The question we should ask ourselves is why we are so impatient.
It has nothing to do about when I feel it's necessary. It's about a lack of logic.
Literally almost EVERYONE in and interested in F1 knew about it. All that happened was a bunch of drivers having to lie. It wasn't a secret as everybody knew. If there was a 'surprise' in it then fine, but there wasn't.
Instead of it being announced at the start of the weekend so their news is front and centre they squeeze it in between FP1 and FP2. The Renault boss admitted it was signed days ago. Yet they all left it until the racing starts. Bonkers.

RS200E

dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:34
There was nothing inaccurate about it. I posted an opinion.

Your opinion os innacurate and I corrected it. Learn from it and move on.