Can someone tell me what is this car?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ciro Pabón

Re: Can someone tell me what is this car?

I agree with Belatti and Timbo. Actually, when I posted before, I wrote something really long and boring about how you don't change accident rates unless you change the road and how I do not see the radical differences between F1 cars safety measures and regular ones, but I thought that would be OOT... :)

What have really changed in the cars? What touts FIA about in its page about safety? Collapsible steer column, harder chassis and HANS. That's it.

The cars still fly when they make wheel contact, for heaven's sake. Tracks like Catalunya still have improvised barriers. Even NASCAR has aerodynamic devices designed to avoid that, FIA has not found what to do yet. Discussing the new Concorde agreement they are worried about the teams getting more money.... from racing fees they charge to track owners. Way to go.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote: What have really changed in the cars? What touts FIA about in its page about safety? Collapsible steer column, harder chassis and HANS. That's it.
with all due respect Ciro, you are a bit biased there. of course track safety plays a major role in keeping driver alive and unhurt but there was a lot more done to the cars and driver equipment than you want to see.
  • three upgrades in fuel tank safety
  • two upgrades in Helmet safety
  • three upgrades in cockpit design for driver protection incl. raised side walls, bigger mirrors, foam padding, extractable seats, wider cockpit openings
  • three front impact crash absortion upgrades
  • two or three side impact crash absorbtion upgrades
  • two rear crash absorbtion upgrades
  • mandatory data loggers for continuous crash research
  • tethered wheels with two upgrades of specification
  • rollhoop specification upgrade
  • various tighning of anti flex wing rules
  • external engine cut device for marshalls
  • speed limiter in the pit lane
  • in car flag signalling by lights
  • mandatory sling points at roll hoop for quick car removal
  • four power cuts to avoid dangerous cornering speeds
  • medical signal monitoring
  • precision GPS monitoring of vehicle positions
This much from the top of my head and there would be a lot more that I do not care to research at the moment in addition to the HANS and safety cell specifications that you mentioned.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote:
[*]three upgrades in cockpit design for driver protection incl. raised side walls, bigger mirrors, foam padding, extractable seats, wider cockpit openings
This one is a bit over the top, IMHO. The old static X dynamic security compromise.

Cockpit walls are too high and drivers have no peripheral vision this year. This is creating David Coulthard effect. Soon it will make a big mess.

Ciro Pabón

WhiteBlue wrote:with all due respect Ciro, you are a bit biased there...
That's not my opinion, it's a professional opinion, and a bitter and critic one. It's not cheap to improve roads, it's much cheaper (and profitable) to allege that it's enough to improve cars.

Most safety measures by FIA seem to me like safety belts in planes or filters in cigarrettes.

I repeat we should open a thread if the issue is of interest to someone, I'm not arguing about your points, I'm asking everybody to keep it on thread.
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Wow people, I love how a miscelaneous thread converted into a safety one :)

Many street accidents happen because of bad designed roads. For example, there is a highway entering Buenos Aires from the north that is famous to have a curve with negative banking. I can barely take that at 140kph with my car using the 5 lanes, but newbie truck drivers sh*ts on their pants when they reach there at 90kph for the first time with a 40 ton charged truck and traffic all arround. There were dozens of accidents there, nothing was done to correct the issue.

I´m interested in the opening of the thread, so anyone, go on!
Ciro Pabón wrote: harder chassis
=
WhiteBlue wrote:
  • three front impact crash absortion upgrades
  • two or three side impact crash absorbtion upgrades
  • two rear crash absorbtion upgrades
And BTW:
WhiteBlue wrote:four power cuts to avoid dangerous cornering speeds
Power "cutting" doesn´t avoid dangerous cornering speeds, Aero cutting does.
(please sory for being so pedantic :lol: )
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

timbo
timbo

I also would like to see thread on safety!
I think that some of the car upgrades (especially aero cutting) do not really work for safety. Say we reduce cornering speed by 30% so high speed corners taken with, say, 210 kph on apex would be taken at 140 is that automatically make a corner safe? That's rhetorics, but I believe that it is track safety where we have the biggest possibility for improve now. And it doesn't automatically cost more in perspective. There's info that Magny-Cours need $50 million for a massive revamp and who knows how many teams spent on adopting to all the aero changes? Thre's gotta be some points from TV revenue aimed on improving track safety. GPDA must decide what circuit needs that.

Tifoso

Looking at the Nordschleife webcam I came across this rare car, I don't know what is it. Any guess?

WhiteBlue

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)