Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Red Bull RB5

alelanza wrote:Cool, thanks for all supah quick replies, my soul is at rest now :D
oh to answer your question.... it is mounted to the top of the gearbox at the same spot because it is a pull rod, and some have speculated that they placved the upper wishbone so that it was aerodynamicall in line with the lower rear wing profile.

Check here

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/626.html

Conceptual
Conceptual

Funny that the RB5 is now sporting a shark fin that mounts directly to the rear wing... Especially when I was laughed at last year for suggesting the exact same thing.

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Well Renault seem to be suggesting they will use KERS in Melbs..but it kind of looks like RBR will not use it.

Can anyone shed sosme light on why they think this is the case? RBR have been testing with KERS bolted in to the car the whole time, they have also been using it very sparingly from what i understand.

If Renault deem it reliable what could be the reason RBR feel otherwise?

zgred

Unusual angle of pictures.

Unfortunately no picture for diffuser.

Callum

I never knew the front part of the under tray was so thick...they must be keeping something in there.

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Ballast

Sawtooth-spike

New Redbull... Same problems!

They always have issues with Hydraulics, I think its a newey thing, at Mclaren they always had the same problem, he left, problem gone.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

zgred

Sawtooth-spike wrote:New Redbull... Same problems!

They always have issues with Hydraulics, I think its a newey thing, at Mclaren they always had the same problem, he left, problem gone.
Maybe he is so stubborn with the aerodynamic as a top priority that he convinced them to exchange oil to air and the optimise flow there.

myurr
myurr

So what is it with Newey and fragile cars? Is it packaging enduced compromises? Is it lack of focus on the mechanical side of things? There does seem to be a running trait in the cars he is responsible for.

Roger the knife

Interesting to see the Red Bull hanging nose down. I've done a few quick calcs based of side view photos showing the crane pick up attachment, and if I guess the angle off horizontal is about 15 degrees, I get a 50/50 weight distribution.

Hope we get to see more pictures of cars on the crane...practice only of course

ISLAMATRON

Roger the knife wrote:Interesting to see the Red Bull hanging nose down. I've done a few quick calcs based of side view photos showing the crane pick up attachment, and if I guess the angle off horizontal is about 15 degrees, I get a 50/50 weight distribution.

And how much fuel is on board? and did you calculate the drivers weight? Which one? the Heavier Webber or super skinny Vettel?

Shaddock

From autosport

Although Red Bull Racing is set to join Ferrari and Renault in appealing against the decision by the Australian Grand Prix stewards to reject their protest about the diffuser designs, Horner confirmed his team was already evaluating copying the concept – in case the FIA confirms the legality.

"You cannot afford to wait," he said. "So effectively we have already had to start looking at alternative solutions."

Horner admitted, however, that using one of the diffuser designs on the RB5 was not straightforward because of the concept of its car – which includes the rear pull-rod suspension.

"It is feasible, but it depends how far you want go with it," he said. "Potentially it involves significant amounts of time if you were to really optimise to an extreme point – and potentially it involves half of the car. So it is not a quick or cheap solution."

Roger the knife

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Roger the knife wrote:Interesting to see the Red Bull hanging nose down. I've done a few quick calcs based of side view photos showing the crane pick up attachment, and if I guess the angle off horizontal is about 15 degrees, I get a 50/50 weight distribution.

And how much fuel is on board? and did you calculate the drivers weight? Which one? the Heavier Webber or super skinny Vettel?
I was trying to keep it simple, but certainly the fuel tank CG is behind the main CG, so it will change with fuel load, and as for the driver, I think the driver CG is probably very close, or maybe just ahead of the car CG, so yes, the weight of the the driver will have a small static effect on the %weight, so, even allowing for those two factors, I find it interesting to see a car with what is almost definitely a 50% front weight balance

rjsa
rjsa

Did anyone see a shot of the car without the nose cone?

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

well it seems the RB5 will be able to incorporate some form of double decker, however it may not be as extensive as those already on show.

The car does seem pretty resonable pace wise as it is though....but 3 mechanical issues in 2 sessions is not so good!!!

SUrley a hole in the exhaust can have noting to do with Neweys design, that must have been a fabrication issue right??