2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
komninosm
komninosm

Re: 2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

beelsebob wrote:So, I finally got the highlights watched. All I can say is... WTF stewards.

Why on earth were Hamilton and Hulkenberg penalised for being pushed off the circuit?

I can half understand it in Hamilton's case, as he was trying to pass – he wasn't in front at the start of the move, unlike Hulkenberg. But Hamilton did then drop back behind and made a completely separate move. I don't understand why either were made to give the place back. What's the FIA trying to encourage, that you stay on track at all costs, and end up having collisions instead?
Exactly.
It's especially jarring that they gave penalties for pushing cars out in previous cases like Alonso-Vettel incident and others.
My theory is Massa/FIARARI whined to Charlie (as usual) about the first incident and then they had to do the other one to cover it up.

turbof1

Driver of the day, I have to say Vettel. He had the best car out there, but he still had to extract the maximum out of it to avoid any possible scenario where he might not end up on top. Top class performance, and the team actually pushed him instead of calming him down. Perfect cooperation between car, driver and team. If not for the safety car, he would have probably doubled everyone except maybe the top 5.

This was also one of those dominant drives that are fun to watch. When a driver doesn't stop commiting and gives himself all race long the fullest even though he really doesn't have to, then it stops being boring. Like Hamilton on Silverstone in 2008.
#AeroFrodo

ecapox

komninosm wrote:Exactly.
It's especially jarring that they gave penalties for pushing cars out in previous cases like Alonso-Vettel incident and others.
My theory is Massa/FIARARI whined to Charlie (as usual) about the first incident and then they had to do the other one to cover it up.
Really?! THAT'S your theory?! How about the FIA stewards are inept and the stewarding process in general has been plagued with inconsistencies for many many years....many of which do not involve Ferrari. :roll:

Hopefully you dont take the same liberties when making "theories" in your real life profession of choice.

Juzh

New CCTV footage of alo/web taxi incident

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BByzQBCSXE[/youtube]

Gotta say this wasn't the smartest thing ever.

Unc1e_M0nty

I honestly can't see what the problem was, this kind of stuff is great for the viewers and fans, some retarded punishments handed out this weekend.

Stopped watching as soon as they crossed the line so didn't see them on the podium, did vettel really get booed again ?

I'm no fan of his but I really don't like to see this.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:I honestly can't see what the problem was,
The problem was that if Rosberg had been 5 seconds earlier, or Hamilton 10 seconds earlier, either of them would have knocked Webber down. And in that situation, it's likely that one or other, or both, drivers would be severely injured or killed.
this kind of stuff is great for the viewers and fans, some retarded punishments handed out this weekend.
What's great about it for the fans? Why do they care if a driver gets a lift back on an F1 car or on a scooter?

Bomber_Pilot

I've posted some video links of previous "incidents" like this here

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... c6#p454292

These rides have been around for a while, and I wish to see this kind of gestures in the future, but now the FIA is slowly stepping in. This is a quote from Autosport :"The FIA is set to advise Formula 1 drivers not to offer 'taxi rides' to their rivals from now on".

Bomber_Pilot

this kind of stuff is great for the viewers and fans, some retarded punishments handed out this weekend.
What's great about it for the fans? Why do they care if a driver gets a lift back on an F1 car or on a scooter?
I see people riding scooters every day. I don't see people sitting on a sidepod of an F1 car, doing 100km/h quite that often.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:I honestly can't see what the problem was, this kind of stuff is great for the viewers and fans, some retarded punishments handed out this weekend.
end of the day its there for Webber's safety (and anyone else who thinks its ok for them to wonder on the track). It looks not that bad, but for Hamilton and Rosberg they would of been just going by reactions and could easily hit webber if he was in the way

no one would care less about the reprimand any other time, just this time its means as Webber was on his third and his getting a grid drop.

rules are rules and Webber has been vocal in the past about drivers following other rules

i'm all up for the driver lifts, but safety comes first

Unc1e_M0nty

Some nice images there Bomber_Pilot

Maybe I have a nostalgic view of F1 but I love to see stuff like this, drivers pushing cars over the finish line, punch up's in the pit lane, it's just all so stale these days.

Motor racing is a dangerous game, I don't think giving a driver a lift on a warm down lap warrents such a penalty, ask any pit lane mechnic, this stuff is meat & drink to them.

turbof1

Webber should have known better, but to be fair alonso parked it foolishly on the track. If he parked it 2 meters further to the right, on the run off, nobody would have ever made a point of it.

IMO, a reprimand was too lenient in this situation. I have nothing against a driver giving an other one a lift, provided reasonable assurances are made to avoid unnecessary risks, but:
- Alonso parked his car on the track, at the racing line, right after a corner. Drivers coming out of the corner have roughly 15-20 metres to react while driving 100km/h. Imagine yourself in a similar situation in daily traffic where suddenly an obstacle appears on the road. Can you react that fast to make avoiding actions?
- Webber appeared on the track. Similar story as above, but in the case of a hit, he would be 100% guaranteed dead. Those wings are razor sharp. Imagine also what that would have done mentally to the driver who made döner kebab out of Webber. Those are things that end careers.

Definitely worth a penalty on its own. Now Webber atleast has a reset on the counter.
Last edited by turbof1 on 23 Sep 2013, 14:57, edited 2 times in total.
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

Ok, that was silly (not evil Warwick).

For all nostalgia fans - come on, even stupid lift on a F1 car can be achieved with more sense, and it's not like it was happening all the time, this one looked forced and Webber I think knows it. The only argument for - "he's only endangering himself" is a bit silly too. What about pilot/driver who'd have to take Webber to hospital (stretching but you know what I mean)?

ced381

World class drive by Vettel! This guy can drive fast, I cannot believe it! Also an incredible start by Alonso, 7 to 3?! Wow!!

And I'm always glad to see Kimi on the podium! Go boy!
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Kiril Varbanov

Oh, Webber just got the invoice. Quite pricey ride :)

astracrazy
astracrazy

to note as well, the FIA do not ban these taxi rides although they do discourage it on safety grounds

according to autosport, an fia source confirmed that had alonso stopped off track and webber had asked the stewards permission to re-enter the track there would of been no issue