Belgian GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SMP
SMP

Re: Belgian GP 2008

How many ppl who thought the incident deserved investigation on watching it live? Well, me for one. I was outraged he did that but whether the punishment fits the crime - i think somebody here put it best when they said
"17 pages of chicken/egg/chicken/egg"

(i apologize for not able to quote ppl specifically as i am travelling and am writing on a mobile device).

Seriously guys, is there any point in continuing this argument?? Most have given their opinions and almost all have agreed not to agree. :)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's amazing at times SMP. Funny how two different people can watch exactly the same thing on TV, and walk away with two vastly different opinions of what they have witnessed. We all saw it happen at the bus stop at Spa, that's a given. Some people have concluded one thing, while others have come to different conclusions. That's human nature, and I respect each person's viewpoint. It's not that one answer is the correct one and all the others are rubbish, it's that we all have opinions. So far this thread has run 32 pages, and I'm sure all the different opinions and conclusions have been voiced. Now it's time to see what the appeal will bring, and then we can begin another round of exchanging opinions. #-o
But I hope that we the fans can look back on Spa '08 and not only remember the controversy, but most important, the absolutely fantastic race.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

lebesset
lebesset

well , I was beginning to think I must be seeing things , but finally I find someone who saw what I saw.... kimi was going faster but braked early for the next corner , and hamilton just wandered past ...he wasn't even going very fast and turned easily

who am I quoting ? pat symonds ! doesn't the telemetry show the braking points ?
if kimi had to go slower around the next corner why did hamilton have to wait ?

the fact of the matter was that , if you look , hamilton had his nose ahead going into the first corner , he had to miss the chicane or have a collision , dropped behind kimi after the corner and allowed him to have a speed advantage [ 7 Km /hr apparently ] but kimi breaked early and hard [ car handling like a pig in the conditions as later events showed ]

in other words hamilton was able to overtake because kimi slowed .....at the time I thought he had got the wrong gear

just what does the telemetry show ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

myurr
myurr

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 2744.shtml

Interesting that Renault has felt the need to distance itself from Pat's comments. Kinda partly reinforces my earlier suggestion that the drivers feel under pressure to support the FIA's point of view.

Shaddock

myurr wrote:http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 2744.shtml

Interesting that Renault has felt the need to distance itself from Pat's comments. Kinda partly reinforces my earlier suggestion that the drivers feel under pressure to support the FIA's point of view.
You can see why. Would you want to fall into their bad books ?

It looks like it was Alan Donnelly, the official representative of Max Mosley at grands prix, who conducted the interrogation of the McLaren driver at Spa and led the stewards' investigation.

"Speaking to the media from the sanctuary of McLaren's motorhome on Thursday, Hamilton confirmed that when he was summoned to appear in front of the stewards, "I only spoke to one person and none of the others had any questions for me."

Donnelly is the Executive Chairman of a Sovereign Strategy, a company that lists both the FIA and Formula One Management Ltd among its clients. It has previously boasted of working for Ferrari :!:

Donnelly is/was a carreer politician who served 10 years as a Labour MEP at the european parliment. Donnelly, a divorcé who has revealed he is gay, was elected as Labour MEP for Tyne and Wear in 1989. He became leader of the European parliamentary party in 1997. As such, he declared a £6,000 payment from the FIA to help with the cost of an assistant.

He became known as a Blair loyalist but embarrassed the party when it was revealed by The Sunday Times in May 1999 that he had been leased a 4-litre Daimler car at a massive discount, saving him almost £30,000, which he did not declare.

myurr
myurr

That sounds really really dodgy to me... Do you have a source?

WhiteBlue

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70526

The FIA has now changed or clarified the rules for avoiding an advantage after chicane cutting. Drivers have to wait one corner. This isn't such a good solution for close racing. on the other hand it nails a specific rule down and that must be good. in any case the rule isn't applicable retrospectively to the Spa incident.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

lebesset
lebesset

really flavio ? more F1 politics !
anyone care to guess who's opinion I would put most faith in ? flavio or pat ?

and the new rule ....pathetic !

so the car behind me misses a chicane , and then can't overtake me until after the next corner ; I slow down , and my team mate can catch up and overtake if he wants! the next corner could be a Km ahead !what sort of stupidity is this ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

pgj
pgj

mcdenife wrote:
Timbo wrote: OK, OK
Don't you think it is a bit pathetic to call the opinion of CURRENT F1 drivers (not limited to Alonso, Massa and Bourdais, you should add Trulli and Rosberg too) wrong? :roll: Or presume you are somehow better "informed" than Bourdais?
Their opinions perhaps, what they state as fact, no. My response was to Ciro's quote from Alonso:
"The FIA decided to change (the system) after several big scandals during past seasons
this was not stated as opinion but as fact and is wrong because the FIA did not change the "system". and from Massa:
He did not have the patience to wait for another corner and try again, and the rules say he should be penalised."
This is also wrong, the rules do not say he should be penalised if he does not wait another corner or indeed how long he should wait before attacking. You do not have to be a
driver (current or otherwise) to be able to read the rules. Dont forget, there is a precedent to all this from Suzuka (2005 I think) when Alonso was advised by his team to give a position back a 2nd time when he was 7 secs up the road. Was it not this very same FIA that clarified later that this was unecessary?
I am not really a fan of any driver per se but if I had to pick one it would be Kimi. With regards to teams, I am a fan of any/all teams but Ferrari mainly because of FIA and these all too frequent shenanigans. My contention in all of this is that neither team (Ferrari or Mclaren) or driver (Kimi or LH) messed up in this but rather, the FIA. A question to everyone who watched that race live; how many thought there was or would be an issue until it was announced there was an investigation and how many thought there would or should be penalty?
With regards to whether or not I am better informed than Bourdais, from his comments he a) does not appear to have read the so-called "rule book", b)he is misinnformed if he cannot see what the "mess" is about because he cannot see a difference between what happened in Spa and Magny-Cours. The only driver to say something worthwhile on this is Kimi himself, noteworthy in the sense that he makes a distinction between rules and decisions. He is vague about specific rules but focuses more on decisions (perhaps tellingly).
Regardless, the point is that the FIA did not just award a retrospective penalty, they awarded a retrospective goal, to take Myurr's analogy one step further, and this "mess is about the fact that a penalty does not always result in a goal.
Good post. I agree. Charlie tried to claim at Monza that the next corner rule was established and was challenged by Pat Symonds. He said that the second pass that Alonso was forced to allow came about because Alonso had given up his place and had retaken it before Charlie had chance to see it. Charlie insisted that Alonso should repeat the manoeuvre. In the ensuing conversation between Pat and Charlie, the suggestion was made that a driver should wait for a corner before taking a place back. It is worth pointing out that the the next corner rule is not because of slipstreaming, but to allow Race Control time to watch that the place has been given back.
Williams and proud of it.

Moanlower

If anyone is interested in Alonso's last lap at Spa, here's the onboard video.

[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HWeb4OfSv0k[/youtube]
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

WhiteBlue

bloody hell, certainly worth looking
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti
Belatti

Has this already been posted?

http://www.virginmedia.com/sport/motors ... php?ssid=1

Sorry if it has. Does anyone knows what happened with Eddie in Monza?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php

with the Max/Bernie show back on track it reminds me of the 1994 season and how that was manipulated by FIA decisions.

andartop
andartop

Sorry to open Pandora's box again, but does anyone have any news on McLaren's court appeal?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

twoshots
twoshots

BBC wrote:The verdict is due to be released on Tuesday after the three judges have decided whether or not McLaren's plea is justified.