2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

Tauri_J wrote:a lot of rain expected for sunday, but as usual the forecast could all change the next week
It's always the same.
Forget a weather prediction for a week ahead. Everything more than 3 days ahead is just untrustworthy. With the sea nearby it is even harder to predict.

f1316
f1316

I like the race but used to enjoy it more.

What ruins it these days is how the front runners lap to a delta to preserve tyres - in my opinion it's a particular issue here because it removes much of the danger of ending up in the wall.

We always knew there wasn't much chance of overtaking, but when fuel strategies are involved and you have to push on every lap to make or close a gap, the margins to the walls are much finer, skill and spectacle greater.

I watched the 2006 race again the other day and it was breathtaking to see Alonso and Raikonnen going through the swimming pool, a few feet apart, flat out. They were running just as close in, say, 2013, but it was dull because they weren't pushing at all.

Starscreamer

Prediction
1. Verstappen
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Raikkonen
6. Alonso
7. Romain
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Wehrlein

Sainz (crashed, he wants too much) (otherwise P5)
Hamilton (crashed, he wants too much) (otherwise P2)
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

F1NAC

So Toro Rosso is a threat while Ferrari isnt ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
In response to the suggestion that would be behind Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull, he said: "Ferrari, not sure. Not sure Ferrari is a threat.

"Red Bull, definitely, Toro Rosso, who have quite a good car, and Mercedes."

GoranF1
GoranF1

Looking at Ferrari traction out of BCN last corner i would take Eric more serious.

f1316
f1316

That was completely tyre dependent - Ferrari were fine (if not quite as good as Mercedes) in S3 up until qualifying.

So long as they have the tyres in the right temperature range - and they're better the softer the tyre - they'll be fine; I think they'll be with the front running pace.

GoranF1
GoranF1

f1316 wrote:That was completely tyre dependent - Ferrari were fine (if not quite as good as Mercedes) in S3 up until qualifying.

So long as they have the tyres in the right temperature range - and they're better the softer the tyre - they'll be fine; I think they'll be with the front running pace.
Up until Q? ...thats when it matters no?
Ferrari was slower in sector 3 to Redbull,Mercedes and Mclaren...tyre wise Ferrari has problems on a smooth track whit tyre temps....Monaco is the smootest of all according to Pirelli.

lebesset
lebesset

wickedz50 wrote:Whoever qualifies on pole will wrap this one up without any incidents. Hamilton will begin his 4th WDC charge from here on. Rosberg (if not broken down like 2014 after the crash incident) should be smart for the next few races and not get involved with Hamilton for the win, a few 2nd place finish wont hurt him. Chances of a superior race winning car to Hamilton will come. If he is broken down like before mentally then I am looking at a big slump in form. RBR will slip in a few second place finish in Monaco and next.
I will keep Ferrari out of my expectations. They better pull their acts together as a team (Drivers, mechanics and strategists all ) else the 2nd place will go by end of 2016. A win this season looks out of question.
on the contrary , as demonstrated at barcelona , the more races rosberg can prevent hamilton closing the gap the better his chance of being WDC
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

F1NAC

GoranF1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:That was completely tyre dependent - Ferrari were fine (if not quite as good as Mercedes) in S3 up until qualifying.

Ferrari was slower in sector 3 to Redbull,Mercedes and Mclaren...tyre wise Ferrari has problems on a smooth track whit tyre temps....Monaco is the smootest of all according to Pirelli.
They did some setup changes which basically compromised their pace in Q. That doesn't mean that they will be beaten by McLaren in Monaco. That's ridiculous.

GoranF1
GoranF1

F1NAC wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

They did some setup changes which basically compromised their pace in Q. That doesn't mean that they will be beaten by McLaren in Monaco. That's ridiculous.
I think its quite clear Mclaren has better chassis than Ferrari but i to dont think Mclaren will beat them in Monaco because even there 80bhp deficit means something.
But it will be closer than usual.
Ricciardo will win.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

F1NAC

GoranF1 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: Up until Q? ...thats when it matters no?
I think its quite clear Mclaren has better chassis than Ferrari
Based on?

GoranF1
GoranF1

F1NAC wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
F1NAC wrote: They did some setup changes which basically compromised their pace in Q. That doesn't mean that they will be beaten by McLaren in Monaco. That's ridiculous.
Based on?
S3 in Barcelona

FrukostScones

F1NAC wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
F1NAC wrote: They did some setup changes which basically compromised their pace in Q. That doesn't mean that they will be beaten by McLaren in Monaco. That's ridiculous.
Based on?
I think it is based soley on BCN S3 and some wishful thinking of british journos and EB aka the french corpo pig
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.