Mega Mac mclaren's bugatti betting new car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
lolshark
lolshark

Mega Mac mclaren's bugatti betting new car

Work is under way at McLaren on a new flagship model that is intended to eclipse every supercar to date, combining blistering performance with ultimate agility and everyday usability.

Known internally as the ‘Mega Mac’, the new car is scheduled for a 2014 launch. The production run will be limited to just 500 units. The price is expected to be between £350,000 and £400,000 in today’s money.

According to insiders, the styling of the Mega Mac will be “bigger, angrier and more functional looking” than the MP4-12C, although it will have a family resemblance to both the current car and the McLaren F1.

It will also get active aerodynamics systems that include front and rear spoilers being deployed in certain conditions, in addition to the use of a rear airbrake, as seen on the MP4-12C.

Inside, the cabin will deliver impressive all-round visibility and luxuries will be kept to a minimum, with a small luggage space behind the seats. Sources say the car will be fitted with on-board data logging and a video camera to allow the driver to film his or her own track time.

At the core of the new car will an extraordinary 799bhp 5.0-litre V8 engine — that’s 160bhp per litre — which will be developed in conjunction with Ricardo.

According to insiders, maximum power will be developed at 7500rpm and 590lb ft of torque will be delivered between 3500rpm and 6800rpm. The engine will drive a Graziano seven-speed dual-clutch ’box.

According to McLaren’s internal calculations, the Mega Mac should hit 60mph in just 2.8sec, 100mph in 5.5sec and 200mph in just 20.0sec.

Although the car’s 0-60mph time is just slower than the 2.6sec Autocar obtained with the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, the Mega Mac should eclipse the Bugatti’s 0-200mph time of 22sec.

The Mega Mac will be based on a similar carbonfibre Monocell to the MP4-12C and will use similar, although extensively retuned, aluminium pushrod suspension, hydraulic anti-roll control, adaptive dampers and a five-stage traction control system.

Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes will be standard, as will Brake Steer and electronic brake force distribution.

Insiders say McLaren is considering making it possible to turn off the ABS system on race circuits. A sat-nav link would ensure that ABS could not be disabled on public roads.

The Mega Mac (whose showroom name may include the number ‘799’) will be built within the main McLaren building, rather than at the new bespoke MP4-12C factory site, at a rate of two to three per week over a three to four-year production life.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... eyron.aspx

Muulka
Muulka

Re: Mega Mac mclaren's bugatti betting new car

Sounds good, but if it looks like that at the front then they're not going to get many customers- It's hideous!

Sounds like it would be exceedingly fast though. And one thing's for certain- Clarkson won't like it. I can tell you this now. He didn't like the 12C, and he won't like this one bit.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I don't think he didn't like it, but rather said that he preferred the 458 Italia, I may of course be mistaken though. :)

thestig84
thestig84

ajdavison2 wrote:I don't think he didn't like it, but rather said that he preferred the 458 Italia, I may of course be mistaken though. :)
I agree. He liked the Ferrari for its emotion an area he thought the 12c was lacking. Im surprised so many journalists say that when its clear Mclaren comfortable putting excellence above emotion.

wesley123
wesley123

A McLaren F1, Lotus Evora, Zenvo and Lamborghini mixed together with lots, lots of uranium makes this.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MuseF1
MuseF1

thestig84 wrote: He liked the Ferrari for its emotion an area he thought the 12c was lacking..
My car could have had fists of hatred reigning down on it while leprauchauns joyfully danced during its design and manufacture... but it wouldn't of changed the fact that its a worthless rattling peice of sh*t. A car is an inanimate object, its the way its driven that provides emotion.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

thestig84 wrote: Im surprised so many journalists say that when its clear Mclaren comfortable putting excellence above emotion.
Even better was the journo who said that supercars need to be a bit rubbish in order to be good (I paraphrase but that's the essence of his point).

In effect the problem with the 12C is that it's perfect and therefore lacks "character". "Character" was the term used to excuse the constant breaking down, bad manufacture (every second car was a "Friday car") and piss poor dealer service that typified supercar ownership over the last 30 years. Cars had "character" because that was the only way to rationalise the fact that a Ford was in everyway (other than poke or aesthetics) better than a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Another journo recently bemoaned that car buyers don't seem to buy the cars that the journos rate most highly. He was talking about 911s being bought with tiptronic boxes, soft roofs and big alloys. All of these are anathema to the typical car journo, of course, because they destroy the "purity" of the experience. But hey, the fact that most people don't get to spend their lives driving on open moors or race tracks seems lost on him.

But when journos come out with claptrap like the first one above did, is it any wonder that people don't necessarily listen to them come purchase time?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

thestig84
thestig84

Completely agree, especially your paraphrase. I was shocked when that review said I need a supercar to be crazy and hard to drive so I cant use it all week thus making weekend drives more special. Unreal!

Richied76
Richied76

"known intenally as the 'mega mac' " WTF is this jorno talking about? this is Mclaren were talking about! It'll be really called the MP4-234nfd...or something to the sorts!

"According to insiders, the styling of the Mega Mac will be “bigger, angrier and more functional looking” than the MP4-12C, although it will have a family resemblance to both the current car and the McLaren F1"
So why the bloody hell does the photoshop look like the love child of a bugatti ss and an edonis? The only bit of the car that looks remotely linked is the rounded lower front bumper as per Mc F1.

Hell he even goes on to quote power, RPM, Torque and 0-100/200 times...YET the engine isnt even been developed yet, as in his quote above!
Many of the top dogs at Mclaren probably dont even have a clue what figures there gona get let alone "insiders". You know.....the insiders that sign legally binding secrecy agreements. More likely than not its some over excited sales rep thats put a tear drop of ACTUAL info into an ocean in this jornos head. Either that or spilt the beans on what MAYBE planned and the rest has been made up by Mr Autocar.

then there comes the "extensively retuned, aluminium pushrod suspension, hydraulic anti-roll control, adaptive dampers" MAYBE...he got his words mixed up but Mclaren dont NEED "extensive" reworking on any of the road proven, quoted else where "perfect", suspension systems(ala Mp4-12c)

If you ask me the blokes pulled a story out of his backside to sell mags! Anyone could have looked at what Mclaren have acheived with the 12c....Slapped on a silly name, quoted some half belivable figures, thrown in a bugatti beating comparison and paid his mate Dave to cut and paste a few pics off google. If you ask me the only thing you've got eaten into is a Big Mac

mclaren777

I think this project is a terrible idea. Shame on you, Mclaren. :(

CHT
CHT

Anybody who think they can beat Veyron to the title of fastest production car and still make commercial sense are simply foolish thinking.

Muulka
Muulka

CHT wrote:Anybody who think they can beat Veyron to the title of fastest production car and still make commercial sense are simply foolish thinking.
But by Bugatti-beating they mean in terms of lap time, not straight-line speed.

Oh, and BTW, Koeniggsegg have made a car which they say should do 275mph. Aegera R.

(No, it hasn't been tested yet, but the Veyron SS wasn't estimated to be able to go as fast as they actually ended up going. Imagine a road car foing 280mph! :shock: :shock: )

celinaB
celinaB

I agree. Though most people have been feeling the pinch of gas prices, supercar makers have hardly noticed. Though luxury brands are beginning to release green automobiles, traditional ultra-performance vehicles are still readily available for people who have the disposable funds. The man who has the cash to buy a McLaren has the cash to spend more for gas.

nacho
nacho

Gas price isn't important for people who buy these cars, it could be 10-fold and it still wouldn't matter.