Is this a super 7?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Scania
Scania

Is this a super 7?

if not, what car it is?

Scania
Scania

Re: is this super 7?

is it westfield?

marcush.
marcush.

Re: is this super 7?

compare:Series 2 frame

or that one? a deman ...

Billzilla
Billzilla

Re: Is this a super 7?

It's a Se7en clone of some type, with an independent rear end.

Scania
Scania

do any people have the dimension of real Seven or westfield's wishbone?

flynfrog

Scania wrote:do any people have the dimension of real Seven or westfield's wishbone?
check out the locost forums there have been several posts of the real cars blue prints. I'm sure some one can help ID the above frame too. They all look to close for me to tell.

mep

Can somebody enlighten me what is going on with this car?
What is a super 7 and what is special about it?

Richard
Richard

It was the first cheap sports car, and there have been many imitations since, notably Caterham (the official successor) and Westfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Seven

machin

Its definitely not a Westfield... and doesn't look like a caterham to me... so that just leaves one of the 1000 other super 7 copies....

The book "Build your own sportscar" by Ron champion has loads of drawings and dimensions.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Scania
Scania

machin wrote:Its definitely not a Westfield... and doesn't look like a caterham to me... so that just leaves one of the 1000 other super 7 copies....

The book "Build your own sportscar" by Ron champion has loads of drawings and dimensions.....
The ex-owner was move out and there is a empty house now.
Few years ago, I was talked to him about this chassic, in my memory, he was said that it is a little bit ealier version of true lotus 7 (not caterham, westfield or other cone), but I'm not 100% sure about that or maybe I understanded what he said wrongly as he is talk English but I'm not good to listen english..

is that all the "7" and copies are using the same dimension of wishbone mounting?

Billzilla
Billzilla

mep wrote:Can somebody enlighten me what is going on with this car?
What is a super 7 and what is special about it?
Here's mine, you should recognise the shape of them as they're pretty popular in many countries.

It's a New Zealand kit-car, called a Fraser.
This one has a ~170kW two litre engine in it.

speedy
speedy

This car was called the 'Canadian Super 7'
I designed and built the first batch 5 cars with the Fejer Brothers in Oakville, Ontario Canada.
I was racing a 'real' 1963 Lotus 7 America at the time in FP CASC and had found a spare Lotus series III chassis that we copied to build the new Canadian Super 7.

We used the Toyota Corola 1600cc twincam engine and the cars front 'modified' suspension , with rear axle as the doner. The Toyota title was retained to get around the Canadian regs.

I was only involved in 2 running cars including the prototype that went to Vancouver.
My company was called Canadian Sportscars Ltd. Got screwed by the Fejers and the rest as they say is history... :evil:

'Pete' Schömer

I'm now building a new vintage race car called the Kieft-Climax
http://www.Kieft-Racing.com

autogyro
autogyro

This is the first a Lotus 6 Colin Chapmans first real production car.
One of 140 built.
We are repairing the front 'beam axle' suspension and some body panels.
Based on the Prefect E93A this one has a 100E engine and gearbox.
Yje early one had the E93A power unit with white metal bearings and non adjustable tappets. I have cast the bearings for one and rebuilt a couple of the older engines. You grind the valve seats or the ends of the valves to adjust the valve clearence.

cheapracer
cheapracer

The Lotus 6 pictured above has swing front axles made from a beam that Chapman cut in half and put(fixed)pivots on each inner end.

autogyro
autogyro

cheapracer wrote:The Lotus 6 pictured above has swing front axles made from a beam that Chapman cut in half and put(fixed)pivots on each inner end.
Indeed it does, it is a beam axle from a Ford E93A cut in half, welded, modified and used as two swing axles.
Glad you spotted this cheapracer, we wondered why it fell in half when we removed it from the car.