Front wing height

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Front wing height

I think we have now reached the end of highering the front wing, as we are at a point where the nose must be made higher and higher to keep above the wing anyway.

However, suppose we don't do that... :wink: what would we have then? I think that at the moment (eg Toyota TF105) space between front wing and nose are so small that it is unlikely to be very good for the aerodynamics.

Thinking about it, I came to the idea of reverting back to the beginning of the nineties. Lets get in mind the Williams of 92, low nose cutting the front wing in the middle. Does anyone think it would be worth finding out if such a configuration could be realised with a high nose. I mean sure you would need a rather low high nose, but if you would higher the FW at the MP4-19 you'd have what I am talking about.

Just my mind taking me away... what do you think?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

The space between the nose and the wing usually has the particularity of working more or less like a venturi tube acelerating the air flow that passes through it, whichh means the airflow over the wing, when what you want is the aceleration of the air going under the wing in order to produce downforce....this means that that area will probably make the front wing lose a small amout of downforce. (eliminating the venturi efect in between the wing supports was one of the ideas of last years Williams tusk front nose).

About the low nose configuration....when Tyrrell started using the high nose they realised that it produced slightly more lift then a lower nose....but the high nose has the advantage of giving you more wing area underneth....so it's a gamble....and it seems that it has more advantages in having a high nose. But now with the front wing being raised probably highering the nose would be a bad idea...cause it would creat more lift then it did 15 years ago with the Tyrrell.

SuperSonic
SuperSonic

I think the rules imposed by the FIA over the last years are dumb. The cars are getting very ugly... instead of rising the front wing, what about make it 150mm or even 100mm from its bottom to its top instead the current 200mm?

The same idea for the rear wing elements. Instead moving it forwards (and being ugly), just make it smaller...

Also, I don't understand why the max height of the side pod's is still that high... ban it and let the rear tyres generate drag!

I think F1 needs a complete new aero regulations.

Spencifer_Murphy

good ideas about the wings supersonic....but with regards to the sidepods they are that high as a safetly measure. The front of the sidepods form the side impact crash structure (That part that crushes on impact and absorbs energy in the process and so protecting the driver)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.