Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

n smikle wrote: Yeah that is how Schumacher got pole... he sorta "cheated" half a second by doing that alone. A very clever guy.
Only problem is that the bump is in Sector 1 and he got most of his time in Sector 2 :roll:

scuderiafan

n smikle wrote:Yeah that is how Schumacher got pole... he sorta "cheated" half a second by doing that alone. A very clever guy.
I very much doubt he gained half a second by not going around the bump.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

JMN
JMN

It's the characteristic I was alluding to earlier. The DDRS sheds downforce from the front wing allowing the WO3 to run lower front ride height and/or softer front suspension. This allows them to ride the curbs a little better than the rest of the field. I seem to recall a time when "ability to ride the curbs" was discussed at length and used as a performance differentiator but I'm unable to dig it up.

However, while the DDRS may explain performance characteristics of the front end, it does not explain why the WO3 is so good on corner exit. The W02 had similarly good traction characteristics out of corners (see Schumacher in Canada and Monza). Although not unique to Mercedes, it stands to reason interlinked suspension setups should play a part in this, mercury discussion aside.

aral
aral

JMN wrote:It's the characteristic I was alluding to earlier. The DDRS sheds downforce from the front wing allowing the WO3 to run lower front ride height and/or softer front suspension. This allows them to ride the curbs a little better than the rest of the field. I seem to recall a time when "ability to ride the curbs" was discussed at length and used as a performance differentiator but I'm unable to dig it up.

However, while the DDRS may explain performance characteristics of the front end, it does not explain why the WO3 is so good on corner exit. The W02 had similarly good traction characteristics out of corners (see Schumacher in Canada and Monza). Although not unique to Mercedes, it stands to reason interlinked suspension setups should play a part in this, mercury discussion aside.
The ddrs can only be used in quali, so your argument makes no sense. See the specific thread on this matter.

Huntresa
Huntresa

gilgen wrote:
JMN wrote:It's the characteristic I was alluding to earlier. The DDRS sheds downforce from the front wing allowing the WO3 to run lower front ride height and/or softer front suspension. This allows them to ride the curbs a little better than the rest of the field. I seem to recall a time when "ability to ride the curbs" was discussed at length and used as a performance differentiator but I'm unable to dig it up.

The ddrs can only be used in quali, so your argument makes no sense. See the specific thread on this matter.
The DDRS can be used anytime you use DRS not just Quali.

aral
aral

Huntresa wrote:
gilgen wrote:

The DDRS can be used anytime you use DRS not just Quali.
Of course it can, but in a race, the Merc has to be within 1 second of a car in front, and trying to pass. That rarely happens, and the discussion was about the handling of the car on the twisty bits, where DRS would never be in use, even in quali! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozan
Ozan

gilgen wrote:

DDRS can be used anytime but it's only useful in quali.

FrukostScones

Ozan wrote:
gilgen wrote:

DDRS can be used anytime but it's only useful in quali.
Maybe we should distinguish between DDRS and frontwing F-duct.
DDRS is indirectly operated by DRS-button/pedal. The slots which are hidden by the DRS-flap in its down position are only opened during the activation of the DRS-flap by button/pedal.
Frontwing F-duct/slots on the underside of the frontwing which also might work actively together with DDRS, (or not/are bypassed during DDRS-activation ) and could also act passively whithout DRS-activation under certain circumstances.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

Ganxxta wrote:
n smikle wrote: Yeah that is how Schumacher got pole... he sorta "cheated" half a second by doing that alone. A very clever guy.
Only problem is that the bump is in Sector 1 and he got most of his time in Sector 2 :roll:
Same thing. That is the end of sector one going into sector Two. It gave him a better run into the Hairpin.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

They had monster traction in the first Korean GP too.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Lycoming
Lycoming

There are some good points here. However, although you can use DRS anywhere in qualifying, you must keep your qualifying setup into the race, where you are not allowed to do so. I don't think it really lets them run softer suspension or ride height than other teams, though they may opt to do so anyways. Note that softer springs generally require taller ride heights to prevent bottoming out or excess skidplank wear. Monaco generally requires taller ride heights anyways, though.

If they are running relatively soft springs, it would also explain their good low speed traction. But I don't know if they have good low speed traction in race, I haven't been able to watch most of the races this year. I suspect that its just a matter of setup.

Gridlock

FrukostScones wrote: Frontwing F-duct/slots on the underside of the frontwing which also might work actively together with DDRS, (or not/are bypassed during DDRS-activation ) and could also act passively whithout DRS-activation under certain circumstances.
Using the occasionally-appearing flat rectangular silver secondary scoop on the top of the bulkhead?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

here's a "sketch someone posted on our fanpage (merc) suggesting that the Mercs have some rather revolutionary frontal airflow mechanism from around the bib area..
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Dunno if it's anything that has been mentioned here, but a brief translation is as follows.. (For the bottom half of the picture)
the air flow passes where the driver sits and it enters in the part where the engine is allotted
so that the air flow can cool it
top part is the "f-duct"

any questions.. comments?

aral
aral

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:here's a "sketch someone posted on our fanpage (merc) suggesting that the Mercs have some rather revolutionary frontal airflow mechanism from around the bib area..
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Dunno if it's anything that has been mentioned here, but a brief translation is as follows.. (For the bottom half of the picture)
the air flow passes where the driver sits and it enters in the part where the engine is allotted
so that the air flow can cool it
top part is the "f-duct"

any questions.. comments?
Nothing unusual about this. Many cars remove air from the underside, and channel it through the bodywork. Red Bull have done this for two years and Ferrari are currently doing it.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

ok.. but what i mean is that.. is this a newer, or new development?
what was the old one like