McLaren X-1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Pup
Pup

McLaren X-1

This is a one-off that was built specifically for an apparently important customer. But it's an interesting design departure to say the least. At first glance, it was a complete wtf for me - but it's growing on me very quickly. It's a lot like what I imagine a modern Citroen DS would look like. Under the skin, it's all 12c...

Since the 12c was essentially an inherited design for Frank Stephenson, I wonder if this is a signal of what he really has in mind for McLaren.

Harvey
Harvey

Re: McLaren X-1

Isn't this just some blue sky thinking? Along the lines of what Ferrari offer their loyal and super wealthy customers - see Eric Clapton's recent 512EC, and the awesome P4/5. But McLaren don't have a shelf of iconic designs from their history to plagiarise. From the article I read it seems that Customer L had an idea of the general shape, along with the items that inspired him, and Mac ran with that and had an internal competition for the final design.

To me it looks a bit like what a modern Peugeot hybrid sports car concept would look like. Think it's the lights/grille/bonnet treatment that says that to me. It also looks, from that angle at least, like it should have a significantly narrower track on the rear than the front.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Thank You. Well, I was looking for an alternative car for my old flying DS.

FANTOMAS

Belatti
Belatti

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Saribro
Saribro

Looks more like an R8 with covered rears to me.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

There is a bit of Batmobile about it too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mep

It looks horrible, what a waste of money.

Pup
Pup

Mackenzie and Design Director Frank Stephenson met with the client for three hours to discuss his ideas for the model. He said it should borrow cues from classic cars (a 1961 Facel Vega, a 1953 Chrysler D'Elegance Ghia, a 1959 Buick Electra, a 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K and a 1971 Citroën SM), a Jaeger LeCoultre clock, an Airstream trailer, a Thomas Mann Montblanc pen, a grand piano and an eggplant.
And an eggplant.

bhall
bhall

Rich people are weird, man.

The part that gets me is "...Stephenson met with the client for three hours to discuss his ideas for the model." I'd have a hell of a lot more than three hours worth of something to say about a custom car, especially one that likely cost at least a million dollars and took design cues from produce.

Pup
Pup

Three hour initial meeting. They go on to say how they had numerous meetings, a design contest, built physical models for the client, etc.

Pierce89

This is hideous. I guarantee Macca charged a bundle and then some to build something so ugly with their name on it.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall
bhall

Pup wrote:Three hour initial meeting. They go on to say how they had numerous meetings, a design contest, built physical models for the client, etc.
That makes sense. But, frankly, the result still looks like about three hours of brainstorming and little more.

Morteza

God I can't stand looking at that thing :shock: Those doors and that body simply don't blend together. McLaren, please don't let this car ruin the good images we have of your road cars in our mind [-o<
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What this car proves is that car design really isn't something that just any old person can do.

The client will have said I want X and Y and Z and it would have been the designer's job to make it work as a road legal car.

Just another example that money can't buy taste...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

Spinners...It needs spinners....better yet the spinners that don't spin,,,Floaters
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss