Engine Tuning

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
uzael
uzael

Engine Tuning

Are teams with customer engine contracts allowed to do any work on their own engines? Rebuilds, part upgrades,etc? Are customer teams allowed to change fuel maps also?
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

riff_raff
riff_raff

it's a leased engine...

uzael,

The customer engine deals in F1 usually include a crew of technicians, from the engine supplier, to oversee the engine, before, during and after the race. The engines are taken out of a shipping crate, installed in the chassis, shaken down, raced, and ultimately removed from the chassis and re-crated. They also monitor the engine performance during the race.

The race team does not have the opportunity to flog the engine on a dyno, so realistically, there is no way for them to do any ECU mapping. It's all done by the engine supplier.

Of course, there are some engine control variables that can be changed on-the-fly during a race, such as fuel mixture, traction control, shift points, etc.