“Red Glow” and “Blue glow”?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
manchild
manchild

“Red Glow” and “Blue glow”?

There are terms “Red Glow” and “Blue glow” mentioned in various technical regulations. We’ve all seen those wheel nuts, bulk heads, pipe connectors etc. in those two colors on all types of racing cars including F1.

What I’d like to know is what do these colors exactly mark/represent? I’m emphasizing this especially having in mind the fact that technical regulations in certain cases directly impose use of “Red Glow” and “Blue glow” elements.

Are those colors some kind of ISO/quality mark created in that way for easier locating/identification or something else.

Can anyone give me detail explanation about meaning of this coloration?

Thanks in advance!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Never noticed it in the regulations but have noticed it on the car....usually they diferenciate the sides (left hand side from the right hand side) where they're suposed to be used! As for nuts...probably it indicates if it has a right hand thread or a left hand thread!

manchild
manchild

They have something to do with safety, material quality or something for they are used also on hydraulic piping, brakes etc. Unfortunately I can't seam to find those reg. where I read about them :cry:

riff_raff
riff_raff

colors in F1

manchild,

The only regulations in F1 regarding colors, are the ones that say the marking for the on-board fire extinguisher must be red and white. There are no "red glow" or "blue glow" definitions.

Of course, there is the old superstition that says painting your race car green is unlucky.

As for painting plumbing systems different colors to identify what is being transported through that particular pipe, that is common practice for many different industries. I have done design work on manned space systems for NASA, and each particular system has a specific color assigned. Yellow for EVA handrails, red for caution, green for oxygen, etc. I don't know if there is an ISO or ANSI standard for colors though.

manchild
manchild

Re: colors in F1

I know they're not mentioned in F1 reg. you can find on the web. I read them in some general prescriptions for safety by FIA or something else published by FIA. I'm not making this up, I know very well what I'm talking about.