Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tim.Wright

Re: Pirelli 2013

autogyro wrote: ...TMG would then only have to ask Adrian Newey for the latest model aeroplane parts to keep up to speed on the chassis.
Not necessarily, the Pirelli car doesn't need to be legal. They can bolt on anything they want that gives the required axle loads. I often wonder why they haven't done this before.
Not the engineer at Force India

autogyro
autogyro

Not necessarily, the Pirelli car doesn't need to be legal. They can bolt on anything they want that gives the required axle loads. I often wonder why they haven't done this before.
Well it aint rocket science.

WhiteBlue

Sport 360 wrote:Michelin, though, are open to a return, according to Pascal Couasnon, who directs the manufacturers' competition unit."Our position is now known. If they are willing to talk... we are ready to do so," he said, before adding that discussions concluded before the end of October if the FIA want them to supply tyres for next season.
This is shaping up nicely. I have no doubt that Michelin can all do it in three months time. They have the technology, the expirience, the molds and the protection of a French FiA president. So it is all a question of how the power play around F1 shakes out. With Ecclestone being tied up in Germany from mid September it would be the perfect opportunity for Todt to land a big coup ahead of the elections.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FoxHound

Tim.Wright wrote:
autogyro wrote: ...TMG would then only have to ask Adrian Newey for the latest model aeroplane parts to keep up to speed on the chassis.
Second guessing what teams come up with BEFORE they come up is perhaps not as easy as you portray.
There was a reason Pirelli used a W03, and weeks before a Ferrari from 2011 to conduct their tyre tests.

The reason is the mule they had was and is not fit for purpose. And before we go down the route of blaming Pirelli again, it was the teams that could not agree which recent car should be used for Pirelli tyre tests.

Perhaps these bolt on parts may not behave in the same fashion as the real thing? It's hard enough for a team to fathom which upgrade works and which does not, now you want Pirelli to play crystal ball?
That is even more dangerous than what went before IMO.
JET set

Huntresa
Huntresa

Just give a tyre war, seeing as 10 out of 11 teams have contracts with Pirelli, Michelin could supply one team or several others if they break contract.

FW17

autogyro wrote:
Well it aint rocket science.
Pirelli are cheap *******!

They collect money from the teams and pay it to BE for the big signage around the tracks.

They could not afford the Toyota so said the car was not representative, and when they did not want to pay lotus any longer they started bitching about FIA regulations on testing.

FW17

Michelin makes contact with FIA
ESPN Staff August 26, 2013

Michelin has made contact with the FIA to confirm it could be willing to supply tyres in 2014 if changes to the regulations were made.

Rumours that Michelin was seeking a return to Formula One were growing throughout the weekend at Spa-Francorchamps, with Pirelli yet to sign a contract to continue supplying tyres beyond the end of this season. In an interview with Le Figaro, Michelin director of competition Pascal Couasnon confirmed the tyre manufacturer had made the FIA aware of its position.

"We have already sent [the FIA] messages, and the general public also," Couasnon said. "Our position is known. If they are willing to discuss, to see how we can use and present the tyre differently we are ready to do so.

"I can confirm: there is no rendezvous planned with Bernie Ecclestone ... If there should be discussions, they will lead with the FIA, with Bernie Ecclestone, but also in the company of the teams."

Having said he was surprised rumours had surfaced, Couasnon warned that the current format of rapidly degrading tyres did not interest Michelin.

"I was surprised by this announcement, but I'm starting to get used to it. Two weeks ago, I read that we should hold a press conference to announce some things. However, there is nothing going on ... Formula 1 is a world where there are many rumours. Besides, I do not know who might have interest in the launch. What is true, however, is that we are present in Rally and Endurance racing and soon Formula E. Of course we follow F1 closely but the way in which it is presented today we do not like at all. It disappoints me and even makes me almost angry. Changing a tyre after a few laps, or even a few turns, does not offer a beautiful image of an important product for the automotive industry."

Couasnon also said that one of the areas the FIA would need to compromise on would be changing the current wheel size, and admitted time was running out to do a deal for 2014.

"One of the challenges will be to bring a bigger tyre to the vehicle. If F1 is ready to move to the format of 18-inch rims, we'll go running! This is assuredly one of the conditions for a strong commitment.

"There is necessarily a time limit or it will not be possible. It has to leave us the physical time to produce tyres. Let's say the end of October; it may be too late ..."

SectorOne

WilliamsF1 wrote:MICHELIN: It disappoints me and even makes me almost angry. Changing a tyre after a few laps, or even a few turns, does not offer a beautiful image of an important product for the automotive industry."
This almost made me cry :) I beg you Michelin, please just make a deal.

Maybe a deal could be done to run 15-inch, that´s halfway for both sides.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Kiril Varbanov

Pirelli 'needs more dialogue' with F1 drivers following Spa issues - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109517
Talking to Edd Straw: "Think what Pirelli is keen on is people not jumping to conclusions publicly before the facts are in, drivers in particular."

strad

This almost made me cry I beg you Michelin, please just make a deal.
What in the world makes you think that Michelin or Goodyear or anyone else would show a different result if they were told to make the same tire? Quit blaming Pirelli and blame the FIA and Bernie.
IF they ask Pirelli to make a tire that would last the whole race they could just as easily do that.
We got what was asked for.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

rjsa
rjsa

strad wrote:
What in the world makes you think that Michelin or Goodyear or anyone else would show a different result if they were told to make the same tire? Quit blaming Pirelli and blame the FIA and Bernie.
IF they ask Pirelli to make a tire that would last the whole race they could just as easily do that.
We got what was asked for.
Being practical and making sense around here is a huge waste of time.

Richard
Richard

strad wrote:
What in the world makes you think that Michelin or Goodyear or anyone else would show a different result
As I recall Michelin have the dubious honour of being the last (only?) tyre supplier whose cars were withdrawn due to unsafe tyres, despite unlimited testing. That episode was an order worse than the current Pirelli safety concerns.

turbof1

richard_leeds wrote:
strad wrote:
What in the world makes you think that Michelin or Goodyear or anyone else would show a different result
As I recall Michelin have the dubious honour of being the last (only?) tyre supplier whose cars were withdrawn due to unsafe tyres, despite unlimited testing. That episode was an order worse than the current Pirelli safety concerns.
Then again: Pirelli never had to drive up the banking of Indianapolis. Concerning image it was more damaging.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

It would be useful to read Joe Saward on the issue of tyre supply. He has been saying since Monaco that tere is a turf war on between Ecclestone and Todt. The latest turn of events seem to confirm this. It appears to me that we cannot assume the FiA and FOM are united as in the times when Mosley ran the federation. Todt appears to be his own man. Apparently so much that certain people have now decided to have Mr. Ward run against him at the elections in December. Ward was very much Mosley's man. So it is relatively obvious where this is leading us. We are to have Michelin tyres and Pirelli signage unless deals are going down in the twenty fourth hour of he day. That can never be excluded at the end of the day.

On the issue of Pirelli vs Michelin I'm firmly in the Michelin camp. I feel they were acting with a lot more honesty in a very much more difficult situation than Pirelli had on their hand this season. I also think their business and racing philosophy is closer to what I would like a tyre supplier to do in such a situation. Pirelli did not have the stones to tell Bernie where to stick his crazy schemes. I'm convinced that it is necessary to have a tyre supplier in F1 who is not in Ecclestone's pocket. Just my two pence., really.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

LogicPro

I don't know if it was available before, but today I saw for the first time some thermal images shown during Free Practice at Monza. Di Resta's car was used to perform this experiment...

however I noticed that when cornering (especially in low-speed chicanes), the inside wheel heated up before the the outside one...just when the driver steered in corner entry. Then, in the central part of the corner, the outside wheel heats more.
I was wondering why the inside wheel heats up more just when the driver begins steering (in the very first moment)...

Here is the video of FP2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_uFFU6Npo
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.” - Bruce McLaren