Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FW17

Re: Pirelli 2013

LogicPro wrote: I was wondering why the inside wheel heats up more just when the driver begins steering (in the very first moment)...
Camber

Huntresa
Huntresa

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Javert

Well they'll have the first data on tires :mrgreen:
Or maybe second .. after .. Mercedes!

raymondu999

I find it interesting that they're using the 2011 car, and not 2010 or somesuch. Sure, 2011 is the latest car they're allowed to use (2 year old rule) but I'd surmise it'd be the heaviest on rear downforce, especially if they're allowed to use the off-throttle maps in the test, which I think they probably will be allowed to.

Perhaps Red Bull want to ensure that the 2014 tyres can handle that amount of downforce?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

All of the Red Bull´s would be quite heavy on rear downforce compared to what they will have next year.
I don´t think you can apply anything on to 2014 car other then knowing the characteristics of the tire itself.

Meaning the tires we had in the beginning of the season would still be sh*t regardless of what car you run them on.
So if the tires are rock solid that would be something they can find out.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Huntresa
Huntresa

the EDGE
the EDGE

Has there ever been any other tyre manufacturers tyres that have exploded in the manner pirelli's have?

I seem to remember lots of punctures in the past but I don't recall there ever being anything like we are seeing at present

MOWOG

Has there ever been any other tyre manufacturers tyres that have exploded in the manner pirelli's have?
Well, Michelin has some issues with tires at Indianapolis one year....... :roll:

But in general, no, not in my memory. Although I have only been paying attention to the sport since John R. Bond started publishing Road & Track. :? Back in the early days of racing, the cars carried a driver and an onboard mechanic and often has to stop to change a tire on the race course. Perhaps it was those halcyon days that Bernie had in mind when he directed Pirelli to "spice up the racing"? :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Kiril Varbanov

My personal tension against the unbalanced artificial spectacle Pirelli was trying to create is building up.
So, who do I trust now - Alonso or Paul H.? (Who, BTW, has closed his Twitter account again).

Pirelli now don't have a 2014 car to test with - which I call an excuse in advance. No one has one right now. But, in the end what really matters are the results. Are we going to see conservative Pirelli in 2014 or exploding tires once again? I can't really believe that the multi-billion dollar pinnacle of the motor sports is dominated by some pieces of rubber.

Which leads to my final point: day after day Pirelli are destroying more and more the good image they have had for years with the badly managed moves in Formula 1. Dear people at Pirelli, bring your stuff together and give us racing.
And again: I don't believe that you have been asked to produce tires that won't allow drivers to push.

bhall
bhall

Paul Hembery wrote:I think it is pretty clear. There is one team who will benefit from a change and that is [Red Bull].
Pirelli changes the tires; Hembery changes his tune.
Paul Hembery wrote:I can only suggest [Alonso] goes to ask the soon-to-be four-times champion how to get the best from the same tyres.
:lol:

notApineapple
notApineapple

bhallg2k wrote:
Paul Hembery wrote:I think it is pretty clear. There is one team who will benefit from a change and that is [Red Bull].
Pirelli changes the tires; Hembery changes his tune.
Paul Hembery wrote:I can only suggest [Alonso] goes to ask the soon-to-be four-times champion how to get the best from the same tyres.
:lol:
Pretty ironic from Paul, because half of the Red Bull camp were slamming the tyres along with Alonso after Korea.

lebesset
lebesset

the EDGE wrote:Has there ever been any other tyre manufacturers tyres that have exploded in the manner pirelli's have?

I seem to remember lots of punctures in the past but I don't recall there ever being anything like we are seeing at present
you haven't been watching long then ...of current drivers , ask kimi for example
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

notApineapple
notApineapple

the EDGE wrote:Has there ever been any other tyre manufacturers tyres that have exploded in the manner pirelli's have?

There was the Michelin debacle at Indy 2005. I remember there was the occasional delamination even during the Goodyear single supplier period and through the tyre war period but I mean occasional.

I don't remember ever seeing such a continual string of full tread delams or straight out structural failures like we have seen from this grand company.

Cuky

lebesset wrote:you haven't been watching long then ...of current drivers , ask kimi for example
I don't know if you are referring to Nurburgring 2005, but in that case it was cars right front suspension that had faild, rather than tire