Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Re: Pirelli 2013

The soft was actually also softened, leaving the supersoft as the only identical one. You get the general point though. Even the races where it was only soft/supersoft saw an average reduction of one pitstop. Singapore from 3 to 2, Canada is inapplicable because of the wet 2011 race, Monaco from 2/3 stops to 1 stop for everyone.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Huntresa
Huntresa

SatchelCharge wrote:
Autosport.com wrote:Hembery also confirmed the tyres trialed in Brazil have not been modified for the start of the season.

"No, no changes. We used last year's compound in Brazil, but the structure had feedback that was more or less in line with what we had in testing, which is positive."
I take this to mean that the eval tires seen in Brazil will be 2013's hard tire?

e: But then, what does he mean, 'We used last year's compound...' I get something different out of this quote each time I read it.
Feels like he is saying 2012 softness or w/e its actually called but 2013 or new structure of the tyre, so even if same softness as 2012 hard the 2013 hard will work different cause of more weight and diff structure. Heat different etc

Rikhart
Rikhart

I dearly hope they increase the resistance of the tyres to punctures, especially the side-wall. In 2012 those tyres were made of paper...

seinfeld
seinfeld

well they have made compounds softer, and stiffer sidewalls for 2013. I also hope the intermediate tyre will actually perform like an intermediate! last year's 2012 looked like a crappy semi slick for sport cars! and had no tread at all, and no grooves going outwards!

strad

Jersey Tom wrote:
Cam wrote:The premise of the current tyres was to make the teams work to understand them.
. To be blunt, I think they understand it's not as good a product as some previous suppliers.

Ya just really have a hard on for Pirelli don't you?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I just call it how I see it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Lurk

seinfeld wrote:well they have made compounds softer, and stiffer sidewalls for 2013. I also hope the intermediate tyre will actually perform like an intermediate! last year's 2012 looked like a crappy semi slick for sport cars! and had no tread at all, and no grooves going outwards!
I thought drivers were happy with the intermediate and that the crappy one was the full rain tyre? Each time there was a SC due to rain, drivers jumped to intermediates nearly as soon as the SC returned to pit.

Cam

Lurk wrote:
seinfeld wrote:well they have made compounds softer, and stiffer sidewalls for 2013. I also hope the intermediate tyre will actually perform like an intermediate! last year's 2012 looked like a crappy semi slick for sport cars! and had no tread at all, and no grooves going outwards!
I thought drivers were happy with the intermediate and that the crappy one was the full rain tyre? Each time there was a SC due to rain, drivers jumped to intermediates nearly as soon as the SC returned to pit.
I think you'll find that was because they ran around the track behind the safety car so long a dry line appeared. They never needed the wet tyres. :mrgreen:
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Nando
Nando

JT, we need your input here.

At first clance, looks normal then i noticed the tires are not in "order". Any idea why it´s not?
(maybe it was just my assumption they should be but maybe you have some input why it´s not)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

A good question. Bear in mind there's nothing to say that all of these tread compound formulations are all the same "base" recipe with only minor tweaks to vary the stiffness or hardness. The Super Soft & Medium may be a fundamentally much different blend than the Soft & Hard, depending on which tracks they're brought to.

To the race fan or in all likelihood many race engineers, tire compounds fall on a one dimensional sliding scale of hardness and that's all there is to it. To the tire supplier it's a 2+ dimensional design space, so these things don't all necessarily fall in one neat line.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

hollus

Lately Pirelli have tried to have tires 2 compounds apart for the same race to ensure enough lap time difference between the options available. Maybe they think that this way they'll mostly have both compounds working in the same temperature range and avoid situations where one simply does not work, resulting in some teams using it for 1 lap.
Rivals, not enemies.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:JT, we need your input here.

http://s23.postimage.org/ragy3xwhn/1231231.jpg

At first clance, looks normal then i noticed the tires are not in "order". Any idea why it´s not?
(maybe it was just my assumption they should be but maybe you have some input why it´s not)
Cause thats a temp img and they are put in order of working temps ? :D

Pirelli made these temp ranges for the different steps to make it easier for the teams i think.

So that even if they are a step between in softness they are still almost the same in terms of temp range. Not like the Hard tyre of was it 2011, the first ones that were super hard and didnt work at all until like 120+

Nando
Nando

Yea that´s true although i think some tracks run the two closest compounds. Like Monaco if i´m not mistaken.

Thanks, JT.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:Yea that´s true although i think some tracks run the two closest compounds. Like Monaco if i´m not mistaken.

Thanks, JT.
Yeah true but its more with 1 step then no step, is it Monaco and Singapore that runs SS and S?

raymondu999

No-step tyre choices are by no means a minority. Going off last year's tyre choices (as this year only 4 races have been announced)

Canada, Monaco, Singapore, Korea all go SS and S
Hungary, China, Valencia, Hockenheim, Abu Dhabi, Melbourne, Bahrain go Soft and Medium
Monza, Spa, Malaysia, Austin, Brazil go Medium and Hard

That's 16 races, out of 20 in 2012.

Note though that Pirelli have already changed the compounds in Bahrain and Melbourne for 2013.

For reference, the stepped choices:
Barcelona, Silverstone, Suzuka, India all went soft and hard
失败者找理由,成功者找方法