Renault giving wrong impression?!

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
icef1mkd
icef1mkd

Renault giving wrong impression?!

As a specific brand, besides everything else, I’ve closely followed the development of the 100% Renault car. The present results are indicating that Renault is on track to finish what he had missed 20 years ago.

But many disagree, stating that the current pace is just a “mask” to show good in qualifying under the new circumstances (rules) to give impression that they have a strong car. :twisted:

For others, Renault’s improvement is no suprice and they don’t bother themselves with how light has been Alonso or Trulli in Malaysia. :D

Gentlemen, what do You think? I really wanna hear some aruments and I hope this is a good topic for discussion. :?: :!:
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

Steven
Owner

hmmm I don't have a perfect answer to this, it's quite obvious they have a good chassis, and although it is with a light car, a light bad car is still a lot slower than a heavy Ferrari, thus stating the Renault is a bad car would be totally wrong.
Nevertheless, the really miss out a lot of topspeed from the engine, but I am quite confident they will be able to solve that during this season, and even more be ready with a top-engine at the start of next season.
Renault has proven it can build a good engine, and IF they can get the engine to produce as much power as the others at the moment, it is still the question if the other teams are able to create a competitive engine with a 'very wide angle' in a short(er) period of time.
Let's also not forget the new engine regulations that are coming next season, which may reduce the peak revs from most of the engines, where Renault I think will not have to drop (as much) revs as others. The engine is reliable and has a very low center of gravity... :wink:

Duact
Duact

Well at this time it's 90 +/- 2 degree you should have. If wider, the engine really have to rev very high to get any power.. if they can get the pistons light enough and enough heatresistive and also get rid of the vibrations so that the engine is able to rev high enough, then it will be very powerful. But engines are complex... I must say it doesn't look good regarding power from that wide vee...

Renualt's qualifying result in Malaysia is not completely artificial. They were on close to the same strategy as McLaren and others, just with a few laps less fuel. Just look at their race performances, I think they will be able to get more podiums this year without the help of attrition. If they get just a little more power they will be almost level with the top teams. So far this year they seem to be faster than Williams.

Steven
Owner

ha!!

Although everyone could see still the lack of topspeed at the end of the straight in Barcelona, there is something remarkable to state here.
The Belgian commentator was always speaking about very good aerodynamics for the Renault in the corners, but what he hasn't talked of was their engine. I can image the Renault is very well built, and is aerodynamically very good, there are still others that are probably better than Renault in that area.
you could see in qualifying where the Renaults made the difference... it's all in the mid-speed to high speed corners, which Barcelona has plenty. There exactly is where the centre of gravity is very very important, and it is just there where Renault has a big advantage on any of the other teams!
Having back JJ His, the designer of 1997's winning Renault engine, and even more importantly.. saying that they will further develop the 111° angle, is a very good sign.

Nevertheless, I think renault will have trouble following the Ferrari's on circuits like Montreal or Monza (although a lot can change before we are that far)

@icef1mkd: about your rumours of Jacques and Renault... I really hope so.. I am convinced from the start of last season that Renault is the way to go for Jacques!

icef1mkd
icef1mkd

I’ve posted this topic knowing that it should provoke interesting comments, and it did! :lol:
With the facilities and recourses they have, building an exellent chassis is obvious. Aerodynamic efficency is also obvious, but Tomba’s right – everyone sees their good performance on the aerodynamics and good choice of tyres.
Noone tried to find out how they managed to be maybe the best in the second and last sector in Barcelona and also to overcome the wind coming from aside.
The engines are huge complex. Lacking topspeed – yes, it’s speculated that they are almost 100 HP down compared to Ferrari, Williams and McLaren. :?
Their different engine philosophy could help in situations like Barca, but it will take some time to overcome the difficulties.
And what they should do? His stated that they will keep their radical concept, but now they’re aware that they’re lacking power. And that’s why they’re forcing for the new engine rules. There were some rumours that they will design a new V10, but I think it’s too late. If they get rid of the vibrations, with the wide angle causing much better balance and the rest done right....en guard! :P What they shoul really change according me is the painting of the car. It just dosen’t look like a Renault car. There are just two logos, and people are still mixing them with Benetton.
Mild Seven is “guilty”. :evil:
That’s a thing they really change besides other regarding the performance
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

Steven
Owner

I can add now that after Renault have proven to be aerodynamically well suited, they are developing new parts for only Monaco's race. A complete new bodywork will be fitter, "because any part of the car counts", Mike Gascoyne said.
They fully believe that this could be their first win since Renault came back in F1.

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

monaco special

i think renault think they are a big chance for a win at monaco. jarno has done well there in the past and fernando has driven superbly all season, except for last saturday.
the circuit should suit their car which seems to make good downforce and makes full use of its tyres.
two full days testing have just been spent making sure everything is ready for the chance to win.

wikked site tomba. ill be back here everyday.

cheers.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

After the result at the Hungarian GP....I think we can reopen this topic!

Well....Renault this year has proved that they're not in F1 to play (like Jaguar)...lol....well....at the beginning of the year Renault qualified with small fuel loads.....but this week at the Hungaroring they proved that they're not as basd as we thought!....well lets look at the resuilts!

Alonso did qualify on pole...and many of my friends told me that Renault must have been runnig with a very small fuel load in alonsos case....but....he pitted only 1/2 laps before the other top running rivals....so with the consumption charts I think that Renault only qualified with 6/7 liters more then the other top runners....well that isn't a very big margin!

So....they really proved that they are capable of developing a front runnig car....with out running it close to the weight limit! And probably would have qualified on pole even with the extra 6/7 kg of fuel

powerful_paji
powerful_paji

Well dat was an awesome race... But what dont understand is did Renault qualify on the old engine or the new one? If they did... then shouldnt it take them a while to realise the setup etc?

Persoally I think MS has lost the battle for championship... well the next race might help him a bit in terms of horse power etc... But then remmember teams like toyota got an advantage too... so they might be keen to scrap a few points here and there.... well the tests will tell the tale!

drspeed
drspeed

I dont think Renault is disadvantaged alot when considering that they also run lower downforce, run sorfter tyres, and have lower centre of gravity.

The Hungary GP proved that Renault is fully capable of outrunning other cars. Trulli proved it more so than Alonso. He kept schumacher behind him with reasonable competence.

Although they're disadvantaged in terms of engine power, the can run lower downforce than others because soft tyres and a low centre of gravity make them able to attack corners like any other machine. I suppose you saw Trulli outrun schumacher at some corners.

Steven
Owner

first of all, let's say I can imagine that low centre of gravity may have helped a terrible lot in the last two corners before start-finish. Those long corners are where their advantage is in, and why Schumacher was not able to come close enough at the start of the straight to attempt an overtake at the end of it (on Trulli).

About the fuel load.. well that wasn't an arguement now apparently, but you can always be sure Renault can do qual with little less fuel, as the engine isn't too thursty :twisted:

Knowing they are already testing the R24 in the windtunnel, I hope they will manage to build a very powerful/reliable engine next year, because then I think they might even surprise themselves :lol:

drspeed
drspeed

Assuming that Renault keeps their economic engine and low centre of gravity that is...

With a 90 degree engine, things will need time to change