Marussia MR02 (pre launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siwillems

Marussia MR02 (pre launch speculation)

We know a few things about the car

1) Williams kerrs unit
2)cosworth engine
3)The car is supposed to be an evolution of the MR01 incorporating development areas they did not have time for in 2012 and the greater understanding they say they know have.
4)The area they are reporting to be concentrating on the most this year is the aerodynamic's. With the absence of wirth and the knew approach using wind tunnel to coroberate data it will be interesting to see the results of their toil.

source - http://www.crash.net/f1/news/183354/1/m ... _2013.html

So there you go, some albeit small news about the Mr02. The team sound hopefull that they are on schedule (though this is an old article - and they have been very quite since then)

I think this years car will be a step up for them - still will not be midfield but will be mixing it up with caterham in the race this season. In short slow and sustainaable growth (just like caterham)

Over to you know, what do you guys know :wink:
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!

scarbs

Re: Marussia MR02 (pre launch speculation)

I understand the monocoque will retain the slight "V" front bulkhead shape and lowish bulkhead height. So not too dissimilar to this years car.

PlatinumZealot

Also did they get the hang of the coanda exhaust? Didn't hear them complaining...
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

siwillems

n smikle wrote:Also did they get the hang of the coanda exhaust? Didn't hear them complaining...
Their reputed to have goten to grips with the coanda effect pretty quickly - somthing which is at odds with the teams reputation fr slightly unrefined aerodynamics. I have a feeling that we will see a good evolution in next years car over this years.
Da de dum, de da da dum.

Leendert82

Marrussia with KERS for the first time will be interesting. Its an expensive option which rewards 4-5 tenths of a seconds if it maximised the performance of it. Marrussia saw that Petrov's Caterham car easily passed Pic's Marrusia car using KERS which costs them their valuable 10th spot.
First part of the season and pre-season they will spend allot of time in maximizing their KERS system.
KERS however has its dissadvantages as well as the car will have to be designed differently to fit the KERS system, which then might compramise the cars air flow and downforce.
It will be interesting to see what the 2013 car brings now its fully designed based on Windtunnel and not on pure CFD.

Willthe car be closer to Caterham in pure performance, I think they will, however only they get the max out of their new package, which we learned from other team is going to be difficult at the beginning. (takes time)

Hail22

Apologies if some people feel this video shouldn't be here,

But I guess it gives you an insight of the direction Pat Symonds would like Marussia to go?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKi903JxUHg[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

siwillems

according to this article http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2889 ... k-a-boost/, the car look promising - will be interesting to see it during testing
Da de dum, de da da dum.

AnthonyG

Leendert82 wrote:Marrussia with KERS for the first time will be interesting. Its an expensive option which rewards 4-5 tenths of a seconds if it maximised the performance of it. Marrussia saw that Petrov's Caterham car easily passed Pic's Marrusia car using KERS which costs them their valuable 10th spot.
First part of the season and pre-season they will spend allot of time in maximizing their KERS system.
KERS however has its dissadvantages as well as the car will have to be designed differently to fit the KERS system, which then might compramise the cars air flow and downforce.
It will be interesting to see what the 2013 car brings now its fully designed based on Windtunnel and not on pure CFD.

Willthe car be closer to Caterham in pure performance, I think they will, however only they get the max out of their new package, which we learned from other team is going to be difficult at the beginning. (takes time)
On the other hand, perhaps they buy more then just the system. (expertise on how to make it work as well)
That would save them time in the adaptation process.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

bill shoe

Here's an opinion with no particular evidence. Marussia is the best of the 3 (2?) new teams. They will kick Caterham's butt in 2013. They almost did it in 2012 with an inferior engine, an inferior gearbox, and no KERS.

Caterham has contented itself with the easy task of being the best of the new teams. Caterham has done his with (by far) the most budget and stability of the new teams. They have become complacent despite zero points. Marrusia has been scrappy and agressive precisely because they have been unstable and were screwed with the all-CFD approach.

Marrusia for 10th in the 2013 constructor's! Anyone want to bet against?

JayeOFarrell

bill shoe wrote:Marrusia for 10th in the 2013 constructor's! Anyone want to bet against?
I know I wouldn't want to bet against that claim :)
โ€œBe clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.โ€
โ€• Vincent van Gogh

lukeaar

Has anyone heard anything about this car yet? Cars are being un-veiled this week and I haven't heard even the slightest leak about the MR02. Will they make the first test?

Leendert82

lukeaar wrote:Has anyone heard anything about this car yet? Cars are being un-veiled this week and I haven't heard even the slightest leak about the MR02. Will they make the first test?
This is the only information I could find from http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105280

"Everyone at Banbury has worked really hard for quite some time now on the 2013 car, and we think it is going to be a big step forward.

"Everyone is still pretty excited about the coming season. The key thing is that we cannot wait to get testing and see how the car performs - and I think everyone is keen to see how we are going to do this season because we have worked really hard.

"It is a team game, everyone has put a lot of effort in, and we are quite hopeful about it."

Although Marussia has not announced the launch date of its new car, the team is still on course to run at the first test that takes place in Jerez from February 5.

Polarbear

Marussia will launch on Tuesday morning in Jerez.

They could be very dangerous this year, as they did really well last year without any testing.

They will have the full testing time to get to grips with the new car, and hopefully score points in Melbourne :)

Florio

Polarbear wrote:and hopefully score points in Melbourne :)
You're not serious are you?

Polarbear

Of course I am serious.

Bookies are giving Marussia 8-1 to score a point in the first 6 races...must be a reason for it???

Melbourne is always fairly attritional - Marussia finished 14th last year IIRC, and their car was pants at the start of last year.

If they have a good testing period, why would they not be able to climb a few places? 12th place at Singapore and Brazil showed the progress they made.

Don't understand why people dislike Marussia so much - they have made more progress than Caterham since they came into the sport, and with a fraction of the budget...