Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KATO

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

zonk wrote:we no abla espaniol

I'm not sure it's Spanish.... It's like idk not Spanish..... But if does say it has above the Sidepods a Sauber style support for the deflector.. Out of all that its the only thing I understood..

CORRECTION I don't know why I was triping out it is Spanish...

But it basically says everything we Allready know.. Nothing special only points out obvious things..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

sirexilon
sirexilon

So what do you think that hole that you can see the floor(pavement) is for?

Somebody told me could be kers but since you can see the floor I think is just air management to create some sort of ground effect??

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1263_n.png
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

stefan_
stefan_

The hole on the left of the highlited area is for cooling the KERS batteries that are under the fuel tank. On the tip of the arrow is a hole that probably resulted out of the join of the side vane with the floor bodywork. Don't know if it has a specific role.

Here is a nice video with Peter Windsor and Scarbs discussing about the launch and the E21.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeT7PYssANk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llRHGT7vzCo[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

seinfeld
seinfeld

wesley123 wrote:
RicerDude wrote:Front wing is exactly the same as last year, expecting they are hiding something like this...
There is no gain in doing that since the central "spoon" in the front wing is gone and aero neutral. The Ferrari nose hole was there to grab air from that spoon.
That would be a very useful setup to cool kers batteries, and run a tunnel to the rear diffuser so you can increase D/F

Pierce89

One can only pray that this isn't the actual livery. Gawd! It's hideous!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

f1316
f1316

Sounds from James Allison's comments that the nose is unlikely to stay the same:
“We have not done it yet because a cosmetic panel would weigh a few grammes and that’s anathema,” said Allison. “However if we find one which looks nice but more crucially which gives us a few more points of downforce we’ll put it on the car as quick as you like.”
Again, I'm surprised they didn't throw any old version on there to look pretty for their sponsors during launch, but maybe it's a little bit of psychology. As if to say "we haven't really thought much about it", when really they've thought about it a great deal!

James Allen/Mark Gillian's comment on the subject was also noteworthy:
There is an aerodynamic gain to be had from a plate which has been designed into the car, but we will have to wait to see Lotus’ solution.

Lurk

sirexilon wrote:So what do you think that hole that you can see the floor(pavement) is for?

Somebody told me could be kers but since you can see the floor I think is just air management to create some sort of ground effect??

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1263_n.png
It is one of the side crashbox.

Gaara
Gaara

Gridlock wrote:Zoom! And enhance!

Anyone got a better-res version? Crappy 150Kb JPG source (right-click>open new tab for bigness)

James Allen (with input from Mark Gillan) analysis here: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/01/a ... ts-it-like
I'm not quite sure but the pictures here are bigger.

http://www.f1zone.net/news/lotus-unveils-e21/17475/

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Exhaust solution looks similar to mclaren's, certainly no tunnel feeding air to the starter hole and the ramp doesn't go all the way down to the floor. Interesting stuff going on with the front suspension lots of different shapes and angles. Very slim airbox too in one of the images but then in another I see extra inlets for the passive DRS. Although, I've a feeling that those are CGI additions. it wouldn't surprise me if those holes underneath the sidepods actually feed the passive drs and the cgi additions to the airbox are a red herring.

Diosfenix
Diosfenix

Last edited by Diosfenix on 29 Jan 2013, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.

Coefficient
Coefficient

bonjon1979 wrote:Exhaust solution looks similar to mclaren's, certainly no tunnel feeding air to the starter hole and the ramp doesn't go all the way down to the floor. Interesting stuff going on with the front suspension lots of different shapes and angles. Very slim airbox too in one of the images but then in another I see extra inlets for the passive DRS. Although, I've a feeling that those are CGI additions. it wouldn't surprise me if those holes underneath the sidepods actually feed the passive drs and the cgi additions to the airbox are a red herring.

The Tunnels are there alright!! Visit ScarbsF1 for a better look. He has a picture of the Tunnel exits at the rear of the diffusor which is quite illuminating!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob
beelsebob

Coefficient wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:Exhaust solution looks similar to mclaren's, certainly no tunnel feeding air to the starter hole and the ramp doesn't go all the way down to the floor. Interesting stuff going on with the front suspension lots of different shapes and angles. Very slim airbox too in one of the images but then in another I see extra inlets for the passive DRS. Although, I've a feeling that those are CGI additions. it wouldn't surprise me if those holes underneath the sidepods actually feed the passive drs and the cgi additions to the airbox are a red herring.

The Tunnels are there alright!! Visit ScarbsF1 for a better look. He has a picture of the Tunnel exits at the rear of the diffusor which is quite illuminating!
Right, the tunnels are clearly there on the car they launched. The discussion above is based around the idea that some 3D artist creating advertising material had a better idea of what the car would look like than the engineers building the model for show. That artist showed McLaren style up and over exhausts, not red bull tunnels.

amouzouris

beelsebob wrote:
Coefficient wrote:

Right, the tunnels are clearly there on the car they launched. The discussion above is based around the idea that some 3D artist creating advertising material had a better idea of what the car would look like than the engineers building the model for show. That artist showed McLaren style up and over exhausts, not red bull tunnels.
actually i think the the CGI model is probably closer in terms of FW and RW to the car that is gonna be tested on Jerez...
also i think that the McLaren style exhaust illustrated in the CGIs is gonna appear in Jerez for back to back testing with the Red Bull style exhaust-sidepod layout on the launch car as they will have a difference in downforce, drag and top end power output of the engine..+ the DRD...more to follow in my analysis

seventhsin

How much of the car would have to be brand new, to consider it the new lotus? The tub? I would assume the majority of car launches would be nothing to write home about, possibly with the exception of Mercedes?

And Kimis steering wheel would NEVER have a smile button.

Shakeman

It looks like the Launch car exhausts are not terminated on the floor and are a derivation of the Macca exhaust but stretched into the shape of the RB solution minus the bridge.

The CGI car exhausts do appear to terminate on the floor with a bridge.

There's clearly a difference and may be different stages of development or just gamesmanship until testing.
Last edited by Shakeman on 29 Jan 2013, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.