Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

That is an E20. E20 sidopds (early version). E20 floor. E20 everything.Even the dust is there, you clould see it in every split. Exactly like last year with the fake R31. When the real E20 left the garages for the first time, it looked brand new. And obviously every part changed.
Yeah, they made a new rear bodywork and added some winglets to make it look like the new car... just like last year's presentation...
Last edited by Blackout on 29 Jan 2013, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

Blackout

In the other hand, maybe Lotus decided to keep the same design for the monocoque. Why not ? it could help them to spare money, time and even training (for the mecancis) but it would be the first time.

korzeniow
korzeniow

Blackout wrote:That is an E20. E20 sidopds (early version). E20 floor. E20 everything.Even the dust is there, you clould see it in every split. Exactly like last year with the fake R31. When the real E20 left the garages for the first time, it looked brand new. And obviously every part changed.
Yeah, they made a new rear bodywork and added some winglets to make it look like the new car... just like last year's presentation...
Exactly my thoughts :twisted:
Blackout wrote:In the other hand, maybe Lotus decided to keep the same design for the monocoque. Why not ? it could help them to spare money, time and even training (for the mecancis) but it would be the first time.
I don't agree on this. I think they have to account for their last year chassis fiasco with front suspension. Yes, they fixed it eventually but it's nothing like clean design.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Blackout

Right. forgot the Barcelona 'fiasco'.
Talking about suspensions (and aerodynamics this time), Alisson: The front and rear suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities.

amouzouris

Really? still on about the whole E20 thing...we disagree...you won't change our mind we won't change yours..its over... Focus on what's really important..Did you even notice the new sidepod leading edge flow conditioner and VG's? that setup will reduce the strength of the vortices substantially..did you wonder why?

FrukostScones

amouzouris wrote:Really? still on about the whole E20 thing...we disagree...you won't change our mind we won't change yours..its over... Focus on what's really important..Did you even notice the new sidepod leading edge flow conditioner and VG's? that setup will reduce the strength of the vortices substantially..did you wonder why?
We? Do you think everyone is as easily deceived as you?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

amouzouris

FrukostScones wrote:
amouzouris wrote:Really? still on about the whole E20 thing...we disagree...you won't change our mind we won't change yours..its over... Focus on what's really important..Did you even notice the new sidepod leading edge flow conditioner and VG's? that setup will reduce the strength of the vortices substantially..did you wonder why?
And you are still pushing it... ''The devil is in the details''... that's what you are missing.. And i really didn't to bring this up...but the guys who think that is is the new car..Beelsebob, Gridlock, myself have actually had multiple upvotes which maybe indicates that they know what they are talking about... Yourself, Blackout and korzeniow have very little upvotes for your contribution to the forum with technical knowledge.. as for korzeniow's 4 star post in which his lists the front wing, the nose, rollhoop, turning vanes, rear wing and sidepod air intakes...and then he states that these 6 features are ''everything'' and he highlights it with bolt letters...

FrukostScones

amouzouris wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
And you are still pushing it... ''The devil is in the details''... that's what you are missing.. And i really didn't to bring this up...but the guys who think that is is the new car..Beelsebob, Gridlock, myself have actually had multiple upvotes which maybe indicates that they know what they are talking about... Yourself, Blackout and korzeniow have very little upvotes for your contribution to the forum with technical knowledge.. as for korzeniow's 4 star post in which his lists the front wing, the nose, rollhoop, turning vanes, rear wing and sidepod air intakes...and then he states that these 6 features are ''everything'' and he highlights it with bolt letters...
the truth lies in upvotes, #-o

have fun on the 5th of FEB!

edit: I have to admit that I have no technical degree, but at least I can use my eyes; and I can think!
Last edited by FrukostScones on 29 Jan 2013, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

amouzouris wrote:Focus on what's really important..Did you even notice the new sidepod leading edge flow conditioner and VG's? that setup will reduce the strength of the vortices substantially..did you wonder why?
Good example. you are talking about the vertical VG Lotus brought in Melbourne ? and the horizontal winglets Sauber introduced during the tests and inspired Mclaren later ? or are you talking about the 'bulges' on the upper and lower lips of the air intake ? in all these cases you are analysing a FAKE car and aero devices that are well known. An Old car with 'new' parts which maybe were made with stereolithography 3 days ago :)
You can discuss everything you want. All we are saying is: REMEMBER this IS an E20. :mrgreen:

Edit: 'upvotes' :lol:

wesley123
wesley123

FrukostScones wrote: edit: I have to admit that I have no technical degree, but at least I can use my eyes; and I can think!
I doubt that.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FrukostScones

wesley123 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: edit: I have to admit that I have no technical degree, but at least I can use my eyes; and I can think!
I doubt that.
1+1=?

turbof1

In a management team, that is 3.
#AeroFrodo

korzeniow
korzeniow

amouzouris wrote:And you are still pushing it... ''The devil is in the details''... that's what you are missing.. And i really didn't to bring this up...but the guys who think that is is the new car..Beelsebob, Gridlock, myself have actually had multiple upvotes which maybe indicates that they know what they are talking about... Yourself, Blackout and korzeniow have very little upvotes for your contribution to the forum with technical knowledge.. as for korzeniow's 4 star post in which his lists the front wing, the nose, rollhoop, turning vanes, rear wing and sidepod air intakes...and then he states that these 6 features are ''everything'' and he highlights it with bolt letters...
Alisson: The front and rear suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities.

But the car at the yesterday's launch had exactly the same suspension as E20:

front old:http://i.imgur.com/xcISut3.jpg vs faked new: http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

rear old: http://i.imgur.com/A8ALn2U.jpg vs faked new: http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

From what Allison is saying and from the evidence we have from the pictures the only sensible conclusion is that it was old E20 at the lauch.

Computer rendered pictures of E21 have revised suspension though: http://cdn.f1zone.net/news/wp-content/g ... 1cam10.jpg, http://cdn.f1zone.net/news/wp-content/g ... 21cam2.jpg
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Forza

I was also comparing the monocoque design/front suspension packaging .

2012 - R31 launch car
2012 Test 3: Barcelona - E20
2013 - E2xlaunch car

2012 Test 3: Barcelona - E20 with modified suspension pick-up points
2012 Brazilian GP - E20 with modified suspension pick-up points
2013 - E21launch car
Last edited by Forza on 29 Jan 2013, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

I wonder what Allison means with ''front suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities'' ? Pull rods a la Ferrari ? or just a different angling ? Fact is; the wishbones we see on the CGI render* are different from the 'so called 'E21''. forder arms are larger and the independant sttering rack disappeared and the thickness of the upper wishbone suggests it now hosts the steering arm...
*a poor render obviously, but...

Edit: didnt see the two precedent posts :D