Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

Scarbs told the studio pictures give a much better impression of how the E21 really will be. So at the launch they indeed used a E20, but the rendered studio photo's are suggested to be the real deal.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

Blackout wrote:I wonder what Allison means with ''front suspension layouts are substantially revised to try and give us better aerodynamic opportunities'' ? Pull rods a la Ferrari ? or just a different angling ? Fact is; the wishbones we see on the CGI render* are different from the 'so called 'E21''. forder arms are larger and the independant sttering rack disappeared and the thickness of the upper wishbone suggests it now hosts the steering arm...
*a poor render obviously, but...

http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/14/79/55/26/_i4v9510.jpg

Edit: didnt see the two precedent posts :D
Not using the real suspension wishbones which a team believes will provide an aerodynamic advantage on the launch car (where real photos will give a much clearer picture) is the same logic as not presenting the wings they will use in Melbourne.

Richard
Richard

Tomba wrote:The team itself released a collection of computer generated images, with different exhausts and an un-stepped nose. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Image gallery of the real launched car:
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2013 ... e21-launch
If Lotus wanted to confuse with smoke and mirrors then they've succeeded. There are different pics of differently configured cars, a lot of which look suspiciously like the old car. They can't even be consistent on the airbox with the press pack images different from the physical car.

Scarbs seems to think the physical launch car is dummy and the CGI car is closer to the real thing.

This has been a corporate launch for the sponsors, not a car launch. We'll have to wait until testing to see what rolls out on track. I'm pretty sure it'll not be one of the cars we saw yesterday.

What is certain is that we have not seen the real E21.

Gridlock

amouzouris wrote:Beelsebob, Gridlock, myself have actually had multiple upvotes which maybe indicates that they know what they are talking about...
I'd like to categorically state that I have no idea what I'm talking about :mrgreen:

stefan_
stefan_

turbof1 wrote:Scarbs told the studio pictures give a much better impression of how the E21 really will be. So at the launch they indeed used a E20, but the rendered studio photo's are suggested to be the real deal.
If I remember correctly, he said that the renders show a better picture of how the car will be when testing starts.

E21's livery without the red bits.

via @wtf1couk
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

That just looks so much better ....

diego1960

It's simply amazing! Brilliant job!

Really, stunning livery. Why did they have to change the black areas into red and create this monstrosity?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Because of an upcoming sponsor ? (Honeywell ?)

diego1960

I know, what would be the problem though if they had it on the car painted in gold as the picture shows above? It seemed to work in 2012, why not again?

Afterall, if the letters are that beige colour instead of the original gold, it can still be read easily plus it maintains the retro-feel of the old livery.

What is really the point of going into all this trouble to get the old livery just to ruin it when a sponsor comes by? If they had signed Carlsberg for example, would they have painted the side pods in the Carlsberg Green and the rest of the car in lack/beige? :wtf:
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

The old JPS livery wasn't always gold, as a matter of fact it was mostly black-beige/cream as the one we see these days.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

korzeniow
korzeniow

stefan_ wrote:The old JPS livery wasn't always gold, as a matter of fact it was mostly black-beige/cream as the one we see these days.
Yes, that's correct. The reasons are still the same: true gold color looks bad on TV
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blackout wrote:Because of an upcoming sponsor ? (Honeywell ?)
Most likely since Honeywell is red

Rhodium

stefan_ wrote:
via @wtf1couk

Hell yeah !

That is a car !

stupid idea to put red color everywhere...

xDama
xDama

Although I like the new livery, this pure black one is simply amazing.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It does look nice with gold stripes as always, but unfortunately they race it with cream colour stripes which are vile.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)