Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

Anyone else thinking that it looks pretty damn good haha?

stefan_
stefan_

mikeerfol wrote:Rexooooooooona :lol: :lol:
I almost spilled coffee on my screen when I saw that logo :)
The guys from Lotus might not have the best car, but they sure have a great sense of humour.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

turbof1 wrote:I am wondering how come lotus suddenly decides to enlong it. If the cars performance can be bettered by such a big increase in wheelbase, how did they missed that then when designing the car?
I read it is testing for the 2014 chassis layout.
Honda!

Blackout

Chester says: "Well, we've wanted to do it because we've seen there's a performance gain associated with it. The way we're going to do it is with a front suspension change.
If anything, it should make the car a little bit more stable, a little bit easier to drive, it could even give us a small tyre management advantage so we think it's the right thing to do and we're looking forward to bringing it to Monza."
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 06#p449406

And Boullier says http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109525

Can't find the ITW where he talks about 2014

stefan_
stefan_

Italy 2013 - Thursday (05.09.2013)

via AMuS

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Thunder

Top View of the Lotus.

On top is Raikkonen with the longer Wheelbase, below is Grosjean.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Rear wing is interesting too.

via Craig Scarborough

Thunder

Thats tiny. :shock:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

astracrazy
astracrazy

that's smaller than the merc!

anzx
anzx

Lotus has changed more than just the wheelbase... I'm sure 8)

Richard
Richard

I see they've dropped the DRD for Monza.

It reminds me of the McLaren F-duct dilemma, but at least the f-duct had human input so there was no danger of switching it on around the fast bends. I suspect the DRD would hard to tune at Monza because it is relatively fast everywhere, I guess the system is best when there is a slow infield where DRD is obviously off and then fast straights where DRD is obviously on?

Donuts

richard_leeds wrote:I see they've dropped the DRD for Monza.

It reminds me of the McLaren F-duct dilemma, but at least the f-duct had human input so there was no danger of switching it on around the fast bends. I suspect the DRD would hard to tune at Monza because it is relatively fast everywhere, I guess the system is best when there is a slow infield where DRD is obviously off and then fast straights where DRD is obviously on?
I don't think they have "dropped" it, they were never planning to run it at Monza. Read interview with Alan Permaine on Lotus F1 website.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

wrcsti
wrcsti

richard_leeds wrote:I see they've dropped the DRD for Monza.

But did at Monza would allow them to run a bit more wing for turns. Its not as if this system will cancel every ounce of df from the rest of the car. If anything it seems less effective than the fduct

turbof1

-The wheelbase doesn't look like to be 10cm longer. They did change the front suspension though and the nose seems to a bit longer.

-The Monza rear wing has an interesting concept. Apperently they want to generate almost all rear wing downforce with the DRS flap. It does look like it will stall on higher speeds (and when DRS isn't activated), but if that doesn't bring problems in the parabolica then that's a plus.

-The absence of DRD might be due the pipework and such create drag. And when DRS is used, there is almost nothing left to stall.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

Italy 2013 - Friday (06.09.2013)