Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
emmepi27
emmepi27

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

"Short" wheel base comeback for Raikkonen from Abu Dhabi
http://www.blogf1.it/2013/10/29/lotus-a ... raikkonen/

IceIceBaby
IceIceBaby

emmepi27 wrote:"Short" wheel base comeback for Raikkonen from Abu Dhabi
Is that mainly to fix the understeer problem?

munudeges
munudeges

IceIceBaby wrote:Is that mainly to fix the understeer problem?
Most probably.

ptw
ptw

That info re SWB for Kimi was never confirmed by the team
Normally they mention all the updates re cars in their previews with Alain, but not this time

So, I doubt it

iotar__

ptw wrote:That info re SWB for Kimi was never confirmed by the team
Normally they mention all the updates re cars in their previews with Alain, but not this time

So, I doubt it
It would be very weird.

Big, expensive update goes to garbage can for one car after using in twice and they rebuild it with the old concept for three races, why? To "solve" qualifying for one driver when race pace isn't an issue? After Korea I thought they declared updates were working great and were the reason for success.

munudeges
munudeges

Not half as expensive as changing the wheelbase of your car (something basic you lay down before the season starts) and then don't race it because it isn't legal. :D

anzx
anzx

The most expensive was the DRD development, it took them a lot of time, and they didn't get the benefit they hoped for... I'm wondering if we will see it in next year...

munudeges
munudeges

They spent a massively disproportionate amount of time, effort and money, fell behind while they were trying it and never got it on a race car. Red Bull meanwhile looked at drag reduction as a function of the whole car.

Blackout

munudeges wrote:
anzx wrote:The most expensive was the DRD development, it took them a lot of time, and they didn't get the benefit they hoped for...
They spent a massively disproportionate amount of time, effort and money.
You dont know that. The F-duct was even more important in 2010, it was a must have, but few people worked on it in enstone, very few people according to the sources. I dont think they spent a lot of money on the DRD. The car's developpement didnt stop during that. they brought important updates just after that.

Blackout

No bulge under Rai's car's bulkhead and the fins under it seem to be from the early version... so Blogf1.it rumours might be true and RAI is getting the short wheelbase back:

Last edited by Blackout on 31 Oct 2013, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Yes, that bulge came with the LWB, so he's using the SWB this race.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Blackout wrote:No bulge under Rai's car's bulkhead and the fins under it seem to be from the early version... so AMuS rumours might be true and RAI is getting the short wheelbase back:

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 732509.jpg
Not Amus, Blogf1.it! ;)
emmepi27 wrote:"Short" wheel base comeback for Raikkonen from Abu Dhabi

Blackout

Exactly. Sorry.

iotar__

munudeges wrote:Not half as expensive as changing the wheelbase of your car (something basic you lay down before the season starts) and then don't race it because it isn't legal. :D
No, on the contrary because they did run it eventually and with good results. That's not waste that's delay and it happens whether it was mistake or pushing the limits of legality. Device is a separate issue, I don't know why it came up now.

Running two different cars is weird, last time they tried it it was a big success - Spa and Monza, so why not repeat it? How would their practice runs be comparable or compatible if it affects tyres?

emmepi27
emmepi27

Blackout wrote:Exactly. Sorry.

No problem mate! :wink:
But now, with normal wheel base, i'm very inquiring to see what Kimi can do with it!