2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2014 Design

RB7ate9 wrote:ould there be a possible ability to shape the sidepods to have a lifting body effect? Something that could be construed as an exension rathe than a grpund effect item?

of course, please let me know if there are any regulations against this.
The 2014 Technical Regulations are available, if you want to judge your design on legality.

Read articles 3.8 and 3.9 to get to know what kind of bodywork is allowed in the area in front of and between the rear wheels.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

astracrazy
astracrazy

quick question

where in the rules is it which allows or sets the boundaries for the chassis/nose humps that some teams use (like Red Bull). I'm trying to see if there are any changes for 2014 but i can't see where i'm looking

i found something on scarbs website regarding 2011, but i can't see a similar description of the rules in the regs for 2014 or where his referring to

thanks for your help

Huntresa
Huntresa

astracrazy wrote:quick question

where in the rules is it which allows or sets the boundaries for the chassis/nose humps that some teams use (like Red Bull). I'm trying to see if there are any changes for 2014 but i can't see where i'm looking

i found something on scarbs website regarding 2011, but i can't see a similar description of the rules in the regs for 2014 or where his referring to

thanks for your help
Isnt it just the height of the chassis/nose, 525mm vs 650 or w/e

astracrazy
astracrazy

i'm not sure

on scarbs site, its referring to 2012 noses i think it was actually. its regarding the 25mm corner radius which i already know but he refers to

'The FIA have made efforts to prevent this practice becoming any more extreme, so the front bulkhead must not be any less than 22cm at any point in the middle 15cm of the structure.'

so you got the two 'humps' which are made up by radius' of 25mm. then the center 150mm section can't be lower than 220mm from the bottom of the chassis

but i can't find the regs this is referring to, to cross reference with 2014 to check if this has been changed or is still valid. if that makes sense

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/27/20 ... gulations/

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Article 15.4.4 for the survival cell dimensions and radii allowed

Article 15.4.3 for the nose tip

Drawings 2, 3 and 5 of the appendix for visualisation

Article 3.7 and 3.11 for nose width
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

astracrazy
astracrazy

thanks for that. so am i reading this correctly that the bulges can still be used but the minimum height is now 225mm instead of 220mm?

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Huntresa wrote:Yeah i think Renault customers especially newey will redesign the exhaust etc to make it as minimalistic as possible.

Also what do you mean by lifting ? An F1 car doesnt want lift or dont you mean lift in that way?
I do mean "lift" as in "downforce", I was stuck in aeronautics mode.

Thanks Blanchimont for the link.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

astracrazy wrote:thanks for that. so am i reading this correctly that the bulges can still be used but the minimum height is now 225mm instead of 220mm?
Difficult to say, i can't find anything in the 2012 regulations about the 220mm mentioned in Scarbs Blog.

I would compare the 2013 and 2014 regs and if there are no differences regarding the survival cell, i would say that they are still allowed.

The 225mm dimension is just the result of 275mm - 2*25mm (max height at A-A minus two times the allowed radius of 25mm), i would guess, and has nothing to do with the 220mm that Scarbs mentions.

Edit: The inner template demanded by § 13.3.2 (shown in drawing 3 of the appendix) has a height of 275mm and limits the survival cell height 100mm behind the rearmost pedal, ~400mm behind the section A-A.

Blackout

Forza wrote:
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport reported on Friday that the FIA has dictated that the turbo V6s only have one exhaust outlet, and that it must exit beyond the diffuser.

That will mean that, unlike in previous years, the phenomenon of engine exhaust gases having an aerodynamic effect will be almost completely removed.

Even the "area behind the exhaust pipe is a forbidden zone", Auto Motor und Sport added.
what to they mean with ''beyond the diffuser'' ? I thought 2014 exhaust pipe will exit near the area where the monkey seat is used to be placed and that area is far from the diffuser Image

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

This is the AMuS report.

It says the exhaust exit has to be placed 170 to 180mm behind the rear wheel center line and not more than 10mm from the car center line, with a maximum angle of 5 degrees pointing upwards.

No specific dimensions are given for the height above the reference plane, but i would assume it will be between 350 and 550mm, as written in the published 2014 regulations (§ 5.8.4). Article 5.8.5, that forbids bodywork behind the exhaust, seems to be kept, too.

Blackout

Thanks

Huntresa
Huntresa

so they have gone from 1 exit to 2 and back to 1...

WhiteBlue

The WMSC has also confirmed that there will be no "steps" between the nose cone and the tub. This rule is to prevent teams to circumvent the low nose design which is mandatory for safety reasons. Low noses are introduced to reduce the penetrating danger from a T-boning accident and to stop cars to go on top of each other.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Huntresa wrote:so they have gone from 1 exit to 2 and back to 1...
Initially the engine was an I4 which would typically have one bank and one tailpipe. When they changed the concept to V6 it was thought they would want two tail pipes, but cost and sound considerations lead to a single turbocharger. So now they move back to one tail pipe to make it impossible to have aerodynamic gains from the exhaust.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

WhiteBlue wrote:The WMSC has also confirmed that there will be no "steps" between the nose cone and the tub. This rule is to prevent teams to circumvent the low nose design which is mandatory for safety reasons. Low noses are introduced to reduce the penetrating danger from a T-boning accident and to stop cars to go on top of each other.
I don't know if your interpretation is correct.

From the FIA homepage:
"Measures have been put in place to ensure that the cars do not incorporate a step in the chassis behind the nose. These changes will also ensure that a genuine low nose, introduced for safety reasons, is always used."

Doesn't this mean a step in the nose itself is allowed?