2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: 2014 Design

wuzak wrote:
djos wrote:Ouch, that nose looks woeful!!

Hehehe, blown monkey seats are going to be fun!!! :D

How is it "blown"? The exhaust isn't directed at the monkey seat, and nor can it be.
It can if you lean the money seat enough i think.

Also is the tunnel suppose to be there ?

wuzak
wuzak

Huntresa wrote:
wuzak wrote:
djos wrote:Ouch, that nose looks woeful!!

Hehehe, blown monkey seats are going to be fun!!! :D

How is it "blown"? The exhaust isn't directed at the monkey seat, and nor can it be.
It can if you lean the money seat enough i think.

Also is the tunnel suppose to be there ?
Lean it how?

The exhaust pipe has an exclusion zone that runs for its last 150mm and extends behind the car.

Tunnel?

nace84

Do the regulations allow to cut the exhaust pipe at the bottom and somehow redirect the exhaust gases down? (the opposite solution from last year)

Thunder

No, there is pretty much no way to redirect the Exhasut Gases legally.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SectorOne

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Scarbs drawing of what he thinks the 2014 cars will look like

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7158/u38x.jpg
Interesting that he chose to keep the tunnel sidepod for the 2014 car but maybe that´s just from the original picture.
That nose looks horrendous :) Good illustration though!
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

matt21

Thunders wrote:No, there is pretty much no way to redirect the Exhasut Gases legally.
But they should be able to blow through the space below the monkey seat and speed up the air on the undeside of the wing.

Thunder

matt21 wrote:
Thunders wrote:No, there is pretty much no way to redirect the Exhasut Gases legally.
But they should be able to blow through the space below the monkey seat and speed up the air on the undeside of the wing.
I think so yes.

@the Scarbs Picture: The Nose doesn't look too bad. Way better than his first Illustration. Some Teams will have uglier ones (FI and Williams come to Mind), some will have pretty solutions (Mclaren, Sauber). These are just my thoughts.
We'll have to wait til we see the Cars.
#aerogollum

turbof1

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Scarbs drawing of what he thinks the 2014 cars will look like

Now the car can show the finger alongside Vettel :P.
#AeroFrodo

wuzak
wuzak

Thunders wrote:
matt21 wrote:
I think so yes.
The monkey seat wing - maybe. The rear wing, no.

Also have to consider the engine side of things. At present the engine is doing the blowing work by passing more air than it otherwise would, and using more fuel to do that. In 2014 that will be impractical, for fuel saving reasons and for energy recovery reasons. The more energy recovered by the MGUH means less energy in the exhaust for blowing.

Thunders wrote:@the Scarbs Picture: The Nose doesn't look too bad. Way better than his first Illustration. Some Teams will have uglier ones (FI and Williams come to Mind), some will have pretty solutions (Mclaren, Sauber). These are just my thoughts.
We'll have to wait til we see the Cars.
I think the reason that one doesn't look so bad is the way he coloured the tip so it doesn't stand out.

Still say the FIA should say that is unacceptable, even if it complies with the wording of the rules.

djos

Wuzak, you are forgetting that Renault F1 engines have always used cold blowing to cool themselves by design and that doesn't really use any fuel, it just turns normally inactive cylinders into air pumps.
"In downforce we trust"

scarbs
scarbs

Has everyone forgotten the lessons we learned from the EBD era, the only rules preventing bodywork around the exhaust in its exit path (+30mm dia), you can have bodywork above, below and to the side of the plume. So you can blow the monkey seat, using the coanda effect to create an upwash and thus aid the top rear wing.
Last edited by scarbs on 04 Dec 2013, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

scarbs
scarbs

SectorOne wrote:

Interesting that he chose to keep the tunnel sidepod for the 2014 car but maybe that´s just from the original picture.
That nose looks horrendous :) Good illustration though!
No the tunnel is still there for good reason, if you use the top surface of the sidepod to run vortices along from the VGs at the front, you can get a high pressure at the diffusers trailing edge. This, like EBD leaves the issue of the cross flow from the sidepod undercut. Thus the tunnel exists to duct the crossflow to the starter motor hole

Thunder

scarbs wrote: Has everyone forgotten the lessons we learned from the EBD era, how you can manipulate exhaust flow?

Matt21 has it right there, the only rules preventing bodywork around the exhaust in its exit path (+30mm dia), you can have bodywork above, below and to the side of the plume. So you can blow the monkey seat, using the coanda effect to create an upwash and thus aid the top rear wing.
I totally aggree.
My "No" was an answer to nace84's Question: "Do the regulations allow to cut the exhaust pipe at the bottom and somehow redirect the exhaust gases down?", which i believe wouldn't be legal.

What happens to the Exhaust Gases after the Exhaust Tip is a whole different Beast. ^^
Last edited by Thunder on 04 Dec 2013, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogollum

Holm86

scarbs wrote:Has everyone forgotten the lessons we learned from the EBD era, the only rules preventing bodywork around the exhaust in its exit path (+30mm dia), you can have bodywork above, below and to the side of the plume. So you can blow the monkey seat, using the coanda effect to create an upwash and thus aid the top rear wing.
And the exhaust doesnt have to sit in the centerline of the car. It can be of by 100 mm from the centerline. Other than that it can have an angle of 5° to either side and/or an angle of 0-5° upwards.

Though of course if you want to somehow "blow" the monkey seat it would have to be in the centerline of the car.

But this opens up some possibility of assymetric exhaust exits.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Hogwash. No reason to have a tunnel in the sidepod. The sidepods will be bulkier but will be closer to the '09 config, smooth lines where possible. I very much doubt they will go with a nose like that.

This is just a very extreme interpretation to grab headlines. F1 news will be slow for a months, so expect to see alot of silly stuff like this.