FIA ban media from pit lanes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
motorloon1993
motorloon1993

FIA ban media from pit lanes

The FIA has banned media and 'non-essential personnel' from Grand Prix pit lanes after a cameraman was injured at last Sunday's German Grand Prix.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23249596

Text from BBC Sport.
A loose wheel from the car of Red Bull's Mark Webber struck cameraman Paul Allen, breaking his collarbone.
The ban, issued by Formula 1's ruling body, covers "anyone other than event marshals and team personnel".

On Monday, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said that cameramen would only be allowed to film from the pit lane wall.
Other media will also be kept out of the pit lane, with the FIA saying in a statement: "Access for approved media will be confined to the pit wall."
Sunday's incident occurred as Red Bull driver Webber was leaving the pits following a tyre change that had taken longer than usual.

The Australian was released without the right rear wheel being properly secured and after it came free of the car it bounced into Allen, striking the Briton from behind.

The FIA also announced that it will seek an immediate change to regulations so that all team personnel working on cars during pit stops wear head protection, and that the speed limit in the pits is reduced from 100 kmh to 80 kmh.

turbof1

Re: FIA ban media from pit lanes

Makes it less crowded atleast. No guarantee it will not happen again, but odds getting diminished.

I fully expect further clampdowns on bodged pitstops. I think they'll use homologated wheel guns, attachments to the axises, etc. The FIA is taking it very seriously.
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

They didn't know something like that can happen before it happened? In the same vain they didn't feel the need for proper tyre test before Silverstone curbs explosions. Safety first.

Similarly it will require speeding under yellow flags Rosberg to cause an accident to draw interest from FIA/FOM and impose penalties. Or some injury after unsafe release like Alonso's or Di Resta's recently. Or several teams most likely to give young talented drivers a chance to go bankrupt (Force India, Sauber, Marussia, Lotus) to realise how unhealthy financial model of F1 is. Someone has to finance Ecclestone's decision to give more money to poor Red Bull. Not FOM leeches of course, other teams.

Never in advance is motto of Formula 1.

MOWOG

I think they'll use homologated wheel guns, attachments to the axises, etc.
Or they could eliminate pit stops all together. Get some tires from Pep Boys and weld the wheels to the chassis. Better yet, why not hermetically seal the cars at the factory and allow no changes whatsoever? Do away with mechanics and pit crews all together?

Ban all media from the pit lane? How asinine. Why not design a goddam wheel nut that doesn't jam instead of requiring the press to report from the hinterlands? Let''s ignore all practical, sensible solutions and focus on using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. Sheesh, Formula is the biggest collection of imbeciles ever assembled. For smart people, they sure are dumb...... :roll:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

peanutaxis
peanutaxis

I think it's a pity, we will miss many great camera shots. I wish they'd just done the helmet thing and:

Made it compulsory for the gunmen to put up a standardized flag when they're done, because most/all tires falling off are a result of the car being let go to the horror of the gunman who didn't want the car to go at all!

I was also disappointed that no mechanic tried to slow it down by letting it brush by their hand, particularly as it wasn't bouncing at all really - just rolling along the ground.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

peanutaxis wrote:I think it's a pity, we will miss many great camera shots. I wish they'd just done the helmet thing and:

Made it compulsory for the gunmen to put up a standardized flag when they're done, because most/all tires falling off are a result of the car being let go to the horror of the gunman who didn't want the car to go at all!

I was also disappointed that no mechanic tried to slow it down by letting it brush by their hand, particularly as it wasn't bouncing at all really - just rolling along the ground.
It's a ~15-20 kg object traveling at roughly 20-30km/h (possibly more), to let it brush your hand is going to be rather painful.

scotty86

So as per usual it seems the symptoms rather than the causes of the problems are being dealt with, which isn't good...

I tend to agree with the idea that this move, while sensible in one respect, hardly removes the risk to all in the pitlane.

Although pit crews wear helmets, that would not have stopped the injuries that occurred on Sunday (torso injuries). Also there will still be 'unprotected' personnel in the area, notably those on the pit wall - there is no reason why a loose wheel would not head towards them either. Likewise a loose wheel, perhaps in freak circumstance admittedly, may just find itself going from the pitlane onto the track - Henry Surtees, enough said.

I meant to post some thoughts on this but never got around to it; now is as good a time as any i guess. The subject of increasing pit lane safety might just provide interesting discussion from both sporting and technical perspectives. What do we think are other ways of increasing or preventing these types of problems?

Let's quickly review the causes of unsafe pit releases - as teams strive to reduce pit stop times, it would appear that mistakes are being made with regard to releasing a car safely, be it into the path of another driver, or via miscommunication between wheel men and the person controlling release of the car.

So how to prevent this? Here are just a few of my ideas...

Please note that for the sake of this discussion, i am assuming that tyre deg/performance/changes will remain as they are, ie 2 or 3 stops per race.

Technical ideas:
- the light system is made mandatory to all teams, and wheel gunners on all four corners have to indicate a safely secured tyre manually. The driver cannot see a green light until they get the 'go' signal from all gunners plus the main engineer overseeing the stop.
- GPS systems that manually prevent release when another car is close enough to present a risk (there are problems with this theory, i.e. a car in an adjacent box, but perhaps there are workarounds based on car speeds).
- A combination of both of the above, to cover a wider range of eventualities.

Sporting ideas (these are generally more obvious in my view):
- simply reduce the pit lane speed limit; this allows for greater reaction time from those controlling the stops. However, this would still potentially allow releases with unsecured wheels as we saw on Sunday; but it would surely prevent releases into the paths of other cars.
- enforce a minimum pit stop time. During the refuelling era we VERY rarely saw unsafe tyre related issues, because the tyre guys had probably double the time to finish their task. While this would potentially allow safer, more considered pit work, i personally do not believe that it would work with the sporting ethos of F1 and pit stops.

Ok, my post is long enough ( :lol: ), but i hope this provides some food for thought. I can think of more possibilities that i left out, for sake of post length. As i said, i believe there is a lot of scope for solutions in this area, even if they may be convoluted in some cases (but hey, F1 is like that!). Please post your own ideas, critique mine, whatever! :)

langwadt
langwadt

peanutaxis wrote:I think it's a pity, we will miss many great camera shots. I wish they'd just done the helmet thing and:

isn't that basically what they have now? each gunman, the guy checking for traffic, etc. has a switch, once they all signal
done the loppypop light goes green and the driver puts down the hammer

But with stops pushing 2 second, mistake will happen and more people will get hurt it is only a matter of time

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I think it's about time that they improved the crowding situation in the pit lane. The media and the VIP guests are an unnecessary liability and distraction when the only thing going on in these areas should be 100% dedicated to racing.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

peanutaxis
peanutaxis

langwadt wrote: isn't that basically what they have now? each gunman, the guy checking for traffic, etc. has a switch, once they all signal
done the loppypop light goes green and the driver puts down the hammer
Sure, but clearly it doesn't work. If you look at Webber's pit stop the person controlling the lights just assumed for some reason that the gunner was ready. If the FIA make it mandatory that the gunner has to raise a flag - or something really obvious - and that the car isn't allowed to move before all those flags are up, then it will virtually get rid of the problem, because as far as I have seen the great majority of errant wheels are caused because the car is released before the gunner is ready (as opposed to the gunner incorrectly thinking that the wheel is on when it wasn't).

Kiril Varbanov

One very simple fix would be to limit the speed of the cars departing from the pits to, let's say, 10km/h for the first 20 meters.
Then think about sophisticated tech stuff.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Why not have a sensor on the car which will detect all 4 wheels are secured and then allow the car to engage the clutch/select 1st/accelerate from the pits?

Why not have larger gaps between garages in newer circuits?

Why not have mounted cameras on the garage walls where pitstop action can be recorded.

I think VIPs/celebrities/team guests should not be allowed during the event in the garages, but rather before and after..

Werent Renault initially handed a suspension in 2009 after Alonso's wheel came out? N'ring 2013 was a lot more dangerous...

WhiteBlue

Another solution would be a mandatory minimum pit stop time of 5 s and standard wheel fixtures.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

CBeck113
CBeck113

scotty86 wrote:Technical ideas:
- the light system is made mandatory to all teams, and wheel gunners on all four corners have to indicate a safely secured tyre manually. The driver cannot see a green light until they get the 'go' signal from all gunners plus the main engineer overseeing the stop.
- GPS systems that manually prevent release when another car is close enough to present a risk (there are problems with this theory, i.e. a car in an adjacent box, but perhaps there are workarounds based on car speeds).
- A combination of both of the above, to cover a wider range of eventualities.
My 0.02€:
- even better: use a 3 point contact system on the face of the socket (confirms contact to the rim) and measure the torque rise (standard in every factory) to insure that the process has been completed. This then unlocks the light switch when all four have been completed. Easy, right?
- Very good idea!
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Diff-user
Diff-user

Oh so this means no more "Down to you, Ted..."
But the issue won't be solved till the tyres-coming-out problem is not solved. The media personnel are not the only ones in the pit lane. The team personnel waiting for their cars to pit are equally in danger. I wonder what the FIA were thinking when they took this decision.
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1