2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gandharva

Re: 2013 Singapore GP

Low downforce races are over, so Mercs will possibly be back in game. -> Mercs vs. RBR.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Cocles wrote:
F1NAC wrote:no more singapore sling chicane now it's left hand corner
Does anyone have any diagrams or photos of they're doing? This is one of those situations where a picture would be worth a thousand words.
http://www.singaporegp.sg/media/news.php?id=133

Cocles

Awesome. Thank you!

raymondu999

Re: 2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

Basically it would be like Tabac, in a sense.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xzolien
xzolien

I wonder if they'll open up the track to the walls or artificially constraint it with some kerbs. This could be a fast section till the hairpin if they open up the next chicane

raymondu999

xzolien wrote:I wonder if they'll open up the track to the walls or artificially constraint it with some kerbs. This could be a fast section till the hairpin if they open up the next chicane
In an oddly perverse way, if they loosen up that T11/12 hairpin, then it would be a mirror image of Tabac - Swimming pool
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mika1
Mika1

Lewis is angry and he will show his class in Singapore :).
The boss follows me on twitter.

raymondu999

Mika1 wrote:Lewis is angry and he will show his class in Singapore :).
This thread is about the race, not about which driver is a happy camper
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sombrero
Sombrero

Vettel, who else ?

Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso

iotar__

I agree but that's the problem - now that championship pressure is off he might as well. Gimmicky race that would look better in daylight. Hard to say with Ferrari and their progress on odd tracks so it's Vett and Merc for pole as always, not Webb - not his track.

It doesn't matter, it's over anyway :cry: , I'm joining nostalgia crown and going back to watching old races, you wouldn't believe how much they talked about tyres in 2008 (graining!), 2006 or 2003.

Steven
Owner

Removing that micky mouse chicane will surely reduce the laptimes a bit, perhaps around a second, depending on what the turn becomes. It will shorten the race bit, but I disagree that this race needs less laps. In fact I'd say Monza or Spa need more laps. 1h20 for a race is a little bit too short in my opinion.

Also note that Ferrari will have a fairly big upgrade package on their car, attempting to fix they somewhat sluggish high downforce pace after analyzing their correlation problems. We'll see, but hopefully it brings them a bit closer to VET.

Anyway, 10 days of waiting. Will post some tech stuff in the meantime ;)

rssh

This is a mental track and gets on the nerves even when I see it as a spectator. I really won't miss the old sling chicane because it can be another great overtaking spot.
The best 3 driver have only won this race and I hope anyone other than Vettel/Alonso/Hamilton win this .

Mika1
Mika1

raymondu999 wrote:
This thread is about the race, not about which driver is a happy camper
I am talking about the race.

I expect Mercedes will be strong here, close battle with RBR for the win.
The boss follows me on twitter.

godlameroso

From what I understand through observation is that Red Bull still gets more out of the floor than any other team at the moment. This is what gives them the advantage, in tracks where downforce is down to the wings their advantage is lessened somewhat. The Lotus seems to be able to hang with the Red Bulls only in tracks without long straights because something about their car design A: doesn't let them work the tires very hard(hurts in quali, but helps in the race) and B: is very draggy but can generate very consistent downforce. Singapore is not an easy track to set up for, it's incredibly bumpy, even the track resurfacing being done this year won't change the nature of the track that much. I think this track requires a lot of fuel due to the stop start nature, the bumpy surface can disrupt underbody aero, and it only has one high speed turn. The rest are slow to medium speed corners with some very tricky braking maneuvers scattered about.

The new left hander is going to increase the entry speed to the chicane before the bridge and will completely change the line through that part of the track. It's a whole new corner combination. Whereas before the drivers had the luxury of the sling to give them a slower entry speed into that chichesse before the bridge the new turn forces a different line and a new trail braking challenge. The new turn is a much quicker left hander and drivers will have a higher entry speed so they will need to adjust their braking to maintain a similar entry speed into the chicesse before the bridge, pinpointing the new apex becomes difficult because now the whole sequence must be considered as a whole.

It's nothing any driver can't adapt to however this sequence will still offer up an accident or two given the nature of the new set of corners.
Saishū kōnā

stefan_
stefan_

I never liked the "Singapore Sling", I'm glad they modified that part.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985