2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langwadt
langwadt

Re: 2013 Singapore GP - Marina Bay

henra wrote:
Juzh wrote:New CCTV footage of alo/web taxi incident
Before having seen this I also thought, the Penalty was a bit harsh.
After having seen it I had to rethink that opinion.
That stunt was f***ing dangerous and stupid.

It's a nice gesture between Drivers and shouldn't been forbidden per se, but they should really use their brain when doing it. Doing it directly behind a 90° turn on the middle of the racing line does not exactly fulfill this criterion.
and that was pretty much what the stewards said, they don't recommend doing it but it is allowed, but it must be done safely
it wasn't done safely and the only "punishment" they have available against drivers are reprimands, Webber just happened to have two already so it was his "third strike"

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Where Alonso and Webber stopped was pretty stupid... Anyone remember the marshall that got killed in the South Africa GP crossing the track? He got hit by Tom Pryce as he was running to an accident to put out fire, Pyrce also got killed because the fire extinguisher hit his helmet. One of the worst things I have ever seen. The FIA were right in my view.

Racer X

When can we start the Korea GP thread'? Jw...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Kiril Varbanov

It may have been posted before, apologies in advance if this is the case.
Axis of Oversteer compares the quali laps of VET and ROS:
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013/09 ... -does.html

rssh

At first I was angry at the stewards for the penalty because it shows a positive image but then watching video I will confirm that even the reprimand was less for this . Alonso parked it in the middle on the racing line and even in the in-laps cars easily do a 100kph and it was really unsafe. In 2011 German GP Alonso hitched the ride from the side of track .

turbof1

Webber believes the penalty isn't correct. For somebody who holds safety so highly, this isn't doing him any favours.

Images now confirm that when Webber was at the left side of Alonso's car, Rosberg came around the corner and had to pull very quickly to the left in order to avoid Webber. Hamilton came shortly behind and had to pull to the right to avoid the car. A big thumbs up for the 2. Imagine yourself in the same situation as those mercedes drivers: 2 hours of driving in 30 degrees hot air with a high humidity, race done so you drop your concentration, only to face a standing car on track right when you exit the corner.

A small summation of what we can safely say is a chain of stupidity:

-Alonso parked his car right after a corner on the racing line, while there was quite a big run off area to the right of him.
-Webber ignored the request of the marshalls to not enter the track.
-Webber took place on the left sidepod, thereby walking around the back of alonso's car to the middle of the track right on the racing line.

Who agrees with me this deserved a penalty instead of a reprimand, for both of them?
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

I'm surprised Webber's complaining. Comical? You want to act cool, fine, but at least act with some basic awareness. He says there was no conversation with stewards, so what?

The problem is this was the biggest story of the weekend, apart from sudden sympathy for going off the track and not getting a penalty, how things change where it's not about positions 1-3, and people think booing is F1's problem.
Last edited by iotar__ on 24 Sep 2013, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Kiril Varbanov

I can definitely conclude that the season is over since the only talk after the race is about booing and taxi ride penalties. Sad to see that, but that's life.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Kiril Varbanov wrote:It may have been posted before, apologies in advance if this is the case.
Thanks for that. Vettel's car is a lot less nervous than the Merc, his steering input is smoother.

Also: Can it be the RB needs less steering input? he doesn't have to turn the wheel as much as Rosberg. A bit like my Settings for Racing Games. I had always at least 50° less rotation than my mates.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

Interesting claim on RB from AMuS - http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 41427.html

Juzh

Mandrake wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:It may have been posted before, apologies in advance if this is the case.
Thanks for that. Vettel's car is a lot less nervous than the Merc, his steering input is smoother.

Also: Can it be the RB needs less steering input? he doesn't have to turn the wheel as much as Rosberg. A bit like my Settings for Racing Games. I had always at least 50° less rotation than my mates.
Vettel has faster steering rack that's why he need less steering lock to compared to rosberg. That's simply driver preference, not a feature of the car. Alonso has the slowest of all by the looks of it on onbards.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

komninosm wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Where Alonso and Webber stopped was pretty stupid... Anyone remember the marshall that got killed in the South Africa GP crossing the track? He got hit by Tom Pryce as he was running to an accident to put out fire, Pyrce also got killed because the fire extinguisher hit his helmet. One of the worst things I have ever seen. The FIA were right in my view.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e58_1268397788

OMG it looks like his body was spinned so fast his head and arm got loose. His legs cut by the impact too. They couldn't even identify him and had to call all Marshals and see who was missing afterwards :(
That's the one, when you see that you realise that could have happened the 10 place grid penalty is pretty lenient.

FIA have those kinds of rules to prevent this kinds of things happening again.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Juzh wrote:Vettel has faster steering rack that's why he need less steering lock to compared to rosberg. That's simply driver preference, not a feature of the car. Alonso has the slowest of all by the looks of it on onbards.
Yep that's what I was on about. Sorry for not being able to communicate it properly :D

Juzh

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Interesting claim on RB from AMuS - http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 41427.html
So what they're saying is that renault is giving red bull racing as their "works" team a unique engine super-map which misfires cylinders much more often than anyone else between 0 and 50% throttle, giving them a lot more grip and traction on corner exit.