Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MOWOG

Re: Schumacher suffers head injury in ski accident

expert prognosis
That's an oxymoron. Why not just use tarot cards? Sheeesh...... :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

R_Redding wrote:
It does include the quote "Now that several weeks have passed since the accident"

So its not uptodate. but still worth reading.

Rob
have several weeks not passed?

also, the article is dated today, and in other places it says it has been two months. it's just a variation in phrasing.

Shakeman

MOWOG wrote:
expert prognosis
Th experts unfortunately have a wealth of case history to draw upon so they cannot be so easily discounted. Only the medics treating Michael will be able to give a prognosis but others in the field who deal with similar injuries on a daily basis will be able to give a good estimate based on time in induced coma and time taken to get the patient out of the induced coma. According to Hartstein there's no reason why a patient can't come out in days all going well, clearly that is not the case with Michael.

People are of course entitled to hold out hope as I'm sure the family are but I personally don' think there's going to be much good news left in this unfortunate situation.

lebesset
lebesset

Shakeman wrote:
MOWOG wrote:
expert prognosis
Th experts unfortunately have a wealth of case history to draw upon so they cannot be so easily discounted. Only the medics treating Michael will be able to give a prognosis but others in the field who deal with similar injuries on a daily basis will be able to give a good estimate based on time in induced coma and time taken to get the patient out of the induced coma. According to Hartstein there's no reason why a patient can't come out in days all going well, clearly that is not the case with Michael.

People are of course entitled to hold out hope as I'm sure the family are but I personally don' think there's going to be much good news left in this unfortunate situation.
I remember stirling moss had brain injuries so severe that he was paralysed down one side and still came round in a month ; as you say , not looking good but still hope
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Jonesy79
Jonesy79

It's difficult to know what to believe with some many stories being written and "experts" contradicting each other. Lets just hope he's making progress even if it's slow

strad

I think the family should be more forthcoming simply because the media and fans as well as nature abhor a vacuum and insist on filling it..In this case with mostly BS.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

simieski
simieski

"Michael is still in the wake-up phrase," said his manager Sabine Kehm, in a statement. "The situation has not changed."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26479162
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Chuckjr

Invalid information, so I've deleted my post.
Last edited by Chuckjr on 09 Mar 2014, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Watching F1 since 1986.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Complete opposite to the above is now being reported, stating that only a miracle will save him, his feeding and breathing is controlled by tubes and machines etc...

I expect that the press are just trying to force the hand of the family/management. The source is the usual 'close friend of the family'

Hell, if you told the press that about my family member you would not be a close friend.

autogyro
autogyro

I have stayed off this thread because I respect his family and friends.
All that should be needed is to wish him a full recovery and to give sympathy to those close to him.
All the greed based hype from the media and those jumping on the band wagon makes me sick.

FoxHound

The same ambiguous reports keep emanating due to the families position on news feeds.
Let it at least be more controlled with the help of a larger news agency. This story is bigger than Mrs Kehm with all due respects.

We all want to know if Schumi is getting better or, if he is turning for worse what the matter may be.
Thus far she has been most economical.

Economic tellings of truth invariably lead to this sort of speculation, qualified or not.
Yes, I have said it before.

What I'm calling for is more transparency and less smoke and mirrors.
We are in a period of long odd survival for the man, science tells us this much. But we can at least hold on to hope that whichever deity of your nomination, holds at least a small miracle for him.
JET set

F1NAC

Another driver is involved in ski accident
Austrian Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger, 54, suffered a broken hip and has been delivered to the hospital after the accident.

countersteer
countersteer

F1NAC wrote:Another driver is involved in ski accident
Austrian Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger, 54, suffered a broken hip and has been delivered to the hospital after the accident.
Strange... US media is reporting it as a broken arm.
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -accident/

Sebp

Don't forget who these people are:
http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt00089.html
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

aral
aral

So? Lots of people suffer accidents when skiing. and all get over it pretty quickly. Schumi was just unlucky. His head hit a rock. Had he fallen a foot or so earlier, he would just have shaken off the snow, and skied on.