Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
element
element

Re: SCHUMACHER AWAKE - OUT OF COMA!! :D

That's really good news, now let's hope he has a successful recovery.

mikeerfol

Great news! :D

mcalex
mcalex

Shakeman

I don't want to urinate on the fireworks but if you read the release from his manager it simply says he has been released and is no longer in a coma.

There is nothing about his ability to talk. It looks like he is in the same state but is stable enough to be given care at home.

If he was up and talking they would've said so in the official PR not from some unattributed source.

F1NAC

Thank you on this beautiful news, you made my day better :D

CHT
CHT

Shakeman wrote:I don't want to urinate on the fireworks but if you read the release from his manager it simply says he has been released and is no longer in a coma.

There is nothing about his ability to talk. It looks like he is in the same state but is stable enough to be given care at home.

If he was up and talking they would've said so in the official PR not from some unattributed source.
I would think that if MS recovery wasnt good, they would not have made this announcement to give fans the false hope recovery.

Ennis
Ennis

Re: Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Long time lurker - signed up to help with some clarity from a doctor friend. This is of course all coming with the usual call outs that he isn't close to the case, doesn't know the patient, etc.

This release is not good news. They probably released the statement in this sense because it would be hard to avoid the news of him getting out of an ICU, as soon as you move him people will notice. This combined with the family most likely still clinging to hope and trying to be positive would make the statement what it was.

Part of his feedback was that they used the term "clinically awake". He says this is, unfortunately, a term for 'the lights are on, but no one is home'. Please don't get your hopes up. The fact he's being moved only means his life is at no immediate risk, not that there is any real improvements in his 'consciousness'.

He suspects he'll be tended for before eventually succumbing to infection/pneumonia. Miracles do happen, but they are very, very, very rare.

RicerDude

Fantastic news!

Kiril Varbanov

According to most journalists, MSC is here - http://www.chuv.ch

smr
smr

Fantastic news!

Gary Hartstein's take on it

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/

mikeerfol

Kiril Varbanov wrote:According to most journalists, MSC is here - http://www.chuv.ch
And I thought it was supposed to be "away from the public eye" :P

Shakeman

Why is this fantastic news? Does anyone actually bother to read and understand press releases?

The PR says nothing you haven't already been told apart from he is being moved to an undisclosed location. We've known for quite sometime that he is not in a coma and that he is in either a vegetative state or minimally conscious state.

IMO this is not good news it's just more bad news. It seems to me the PR release was in rather poor taste to give them impression that things has changed and by crikey my F1 twitter stream has just lit up with everyone thinking it's great news! It's just the same news only he is being moved.

Mogster

Have to agree unfortunately. After very recent reports of no progress to read this this morning was odd to say the least.

The way this announcement is being reported in the UK media is disgraceful. The Schumacher family is obviously trying to remain positive but there is no good news as the media are reporting, you can see that if bother to read anything more than the press release title....

smr
smr

I wouldn't say it's disgraceful... the media have been told that his is officially out of a coma and are reporting that, what are they supposed to do ?

They're not stating anywhere that he's walking, talking, staying awake or anything else for that matter. The fact is is that he's out of his coma and will be working towards rehabilitation.

I don't understand the negativity.

Shakeman

smr wrote:I wouldn't say it's disgraceful... the media have been told that his is officially out of a coma and are reporting that, what are they supposed to do ?
I suppose it depends on how you believe the media should operate. Personally, I believe it should not be just regurgitating press releases without putting it in some context.

The context is that MSC has been out of coma for a long time, we know this from previous press releases. It is being widely interpreted that Shumaker is awake which is not the same as being out of Coma. The press are reporting it as though there has been some drastic change in his condition which is highly unlikely and the only news is that he is being released to another facility, oh, and don't expect to hear anything anytime soon.

There is nothing to be positive about because nothing has changed for the poor sod.
Last edited by Shakeman on 16 Jun 2014, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.