Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Afterburner

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

iHpled wrote:
Afterburner wrote:Has i said before, Ferrari is embarassing themselves, i didn't want to take that route but i think Domenicali should step aside because he's not the right guy to this job.

He let Aldo Costa leave for Mercedes and now he is working well in Mercedes, Allison was making a great job in Renault and now he can't deliver nothing in Ferrari, unfornately it seems it's something internal that doesn't work in Ferrari and clearly Domenicali can't solve it.

Red Bull with NO testing can make a better job than Ferrari and clearly they will be on top of Mercedes after the flyway races and will definetely make a gap after the midseason testing, from a Ferrari fan perspective it's becoming painful watching F1 and GP like we saw today.
Too early to judge.. let see what bahrain brings us with the planned updates on the pu etc..
Too early?

Even Lotus is making improvements with a low budget.

Ferrari strong points isn't catching up, what bothers me most it's the chassis isn't that bad like previous years but the engine + PU is. Solving PU problem is doable, the biggest problem it's the engine with the engine freeze rules (rumours say iFerrari's engine it's some kgs heavier than competition).

hattrick

Afterburner wrote:Has i said before, Ferrari is embarassing themselves, i didn't want to take that route but i think Domenicali should step aside because he's not the right guy to this job.

He let Aldo Costa leave for Mercedes and now he is working well in Mercedes, Allison was making a great job in Renault and now he can't deliver nothing in Ferrari, unfornately it seems it's something internal that doesn't work in Ferrari and clearly Domenicali can't solve it.

Red Bull with NO testing can make a better job than Ferrari and clearly they will be on top of Mercedes after the flyway races and will definetely make a gap after the midseason testing, from a Ferrari fan perspective it's becoming painful watching F1 and GP like we saw today.
I think that's not a problem in the SD, but in the LdMontezemolo.
Schumacher needed a couple of years that pulls a super team with Todt and Brown, but LdMontezemolo managed to tear it all with his italianisation in the "inner and outer" team, probably by eligibility (please do not get me wrong). Politics and slogans as the main product, which can only result such a team where mediocrity with a maximum budget is a constant.
http://www.f1puls.com
Croatian F1 portal

Bomber_Pilot

They are not embarassing themselves. They have been the only team to challenge RB for the drivers championship in the recent years. It's true that they clearly didn't have the best car, but they have made the best of it. Mclaren had a superior car in 2012 and look what they managed. That was embarassing. Should Domenicalli be replaced? Well, does he actually have any say in car development? IMO he is more of a pr person than anything else. The problems at Ferrari were mostly not taking any risk at design of the car and not taking a new aproach to it. They had an outdated wind tunnel, which has now been updated, they have reshuffeled the staff and they hired some new people. But, it will take time for it to show. Saying that Allison did his job at Renault and now he doesn't deliver is just ignorant. How long has he been there? The car was practicaly finished by the time he even got to see it. It was the same with Costa when he came to Mercedes - He had no input in the design of the car, because it was too late. What I do agree with you, is that Ferrari should have kept Costa, but Monti needed some scapegoats and unfortunately Costa was one of them. And as RB are concerned, as I've written in another thread, they are light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to chasis and aero. The only thing that is keeping them back is their PU, which is getting sorted out in big steps.

Afterburner

Bomber_Pilot wrote:

They are not embarassing themselves. They have been the only team to challenge RB for the drivers championship in the recent years. It's true that they clearly didn't have the best car, but they have made the best of it. Mclaren had a superior car in 2012 and look what they managed. That was embarassing. Should Domenicalli be replaced? Well, does he actually have any say in car development? IMO he is more of a pr person than anything else. The problems at Ferrari were mostly not taking any risk at design of the car and not taking a new aproach to it. They had an outdated wind tunnel, which has now been updated, they have reshuffeled the staff and they hired some new people. But, it will take time for it to show. Saying that Allison did his job at Renault and now he doesn't deliver is just ignorant. How long has he been there? The car was practicaly finished by the time he even got to see it. It was the same with Costa when he came to Mercedes - He had no input in the design of the car, because it was too late. What I do agree with you, is that Ferrari should have kept Costa, but Monti needed some scapegoats and unfortunately Costa was one of them. And as RB are concerned, as I've written in another thread, they are light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to chasis and aero. The only thing that is keeping them back is their PU, which is getting sorted out in big steps.

It's too soon for Allison to show but Costa is showing something already, Newey did it when he joined RB, James Key also did the same when he left "Jordan" to FI and then to Sauber (both teams did improve).

Ignorant is saying Domenicali is a PR in the team when he's the responsable for the assignment of each member and pilot, it's the responsable for all the reshuffling in all the departments they did this year and in the past years.

Ferrari has the money to do anything they want, they're behind on chassis, aero, engine,creativity, etc, because they don't have a team leader that inspires them.

Where's those designers and engineers that came up with the 7th gear, vertical exausts, hollow nose, etc,? It's painful to watch this days.

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

I dont think its all dominicallys fault, I think pat fry is much more responsible than SD.

The problem is just ferrari have bad engineers.

Bomber_Pilot

Afterburner wrote:It's too soon for Allison to show but Costa is showing something already, Newey did it when he joined RB, James Key also did the same when he left "Jordan" to FI and then to Sauber (both teams did improve).

Ignorant is saying Domenicali is a PR in the team when he's the responsable for the assignment of each member and pilot, it's the responsable for all the reshuffling in all the departments they did this year and in the past years.

Ferrari has the money to do anything they want, they're behind on chassis, aero, engine,creativity, etc, because they don't have a team leader that inspires them.

Where's those designers and engineers that came up with the 7th gear, vertical exausts, hollow nose, etc,? It's painful to watch this days.
Regarding the Allison Costa situation, we seem to be on the same page. It's too soon for Allison to have any significant contribution to the current version of the car, just as same as it was for Costa when he joined Mercedes. And yes, Costas work is showing big time now. And as for the second part, I probably shouldn't have used the word ignorant, but probably premature :wink: My bad. Regarding Domenicali - yes, he does appoint people to certain positions, but that's it. And please don't take this like I'm trying to defend him, but I don't think that replacing him will make much of a difference. They have a really solid base on which to build on now with Fry and Alisson, who I believe (or wish) have the saying on where to go with car development, and not Stefano. Heck, Mclaren got rid of Whitmarsh and they arent doing much better compared to last year, even with the currently superior engine. And I do think just as you, that it's time to start thinking outside of the box, but that is getting harder and harder with the rules being more and more stringent.

Afterburner

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Afterburner wrote:It's too soon for Allison to show but Costa is showing something already, Newey did it when he joined RB, James Key also did the same when he left "Jordan" to FI and then to Sauber (both teams did improve).

Regarding the Allison Costa situation, we seem to be on the same page. It's too soon for Allison to have any significant contribution to the current version of the car, just as same as it was for Costa when he joined Mercedes. And yes, Costas work is showing big time now. And as for the second part, I probably shouldn't have used the word ignorant, but probably premature :wink: My bad. Regarding Domenicali - yes, he does appoint people to certain positions, but that's it. And please don't take this like I'm trying to defend him, but I don't think that replacing him will make much of a difference. They have a really solid base on which to build on now with Fry and Alisson, who I believe (or wish) have the saying on where to go with car development, and not Stefano. Heck, Mclaren got rid of Whitmarsh and they arent doing much better compared to last year, even with the currently superior engine. And I do think just as you, that it's time to start thinking outside of the box, but that is getting harder and harder with the rules being more and more stringent.
I'm also not attacking Ferrari or anyone in specific, i'm just making conclusions after some (that are becoming too many) years of bad chassis and bad aproaches regarding development, it's true wind tunnel cost them on aero but on the other hand Ferrari has Alonso masking some problems, perhaps masking too much...

Regarding Mclaren, i don't understand your opinion, Mclare are much better this year than last year, they already got a podium on the first race.

Bomber_Pilot

To be honest, I think we agree on almost everything :)
Regarding Mclaren - they were clearly slower today than Mercedes, RedBull, Ferrari, Hulk was constantly faster than Button, and he had both Williams cars breathing down his neck. If and yes it's an "if" Vettel, Hamilton, Massa would be able to race at Melbourne, they would all finish infront of him. So, it wouldn't be much different than last year. But all of this belongs into another thread.

EDIT: I really like this discussion. It's the way it's supposed to be on this forum, exchanging opinions, not like what was happening in the race thread - fanboys measuring their "flow sensors"

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

I dont really see why people are saying Ferrari have produced 'another' bad car. Their results have been pretty decent for the last few years, if you take RB out of the equation.

speedy56
speedy56

ChrisM40 wrote:I dont really see why people are saying Ferrari have produced 'another' bad car. Their results have been pretty decent for the last few years, if you take RB out of the equation.
The car is good, but the PU is bad

xpensive
xpensive

Ferrari seem to be 5-8 km/h behind in Mercedes straight-line speed, which means about 5% less power, or 30-35 Hp.

- There's no way Ferrari lost 30-35 Hp in the ICE to Mercedes.
- In a perfect world, you have 160 ERS Hp for 33.3 sec per lap.
- Is there something wrong with their charging/storage/discharge of 1000 - 4000 kWs five-seven times per lap?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

xpensive wrote:Ferrari seem to be 5-8 km/h behind in Mercedes straight-line speed, which means about 5% less power, or 30-35 Hp.

- Is there something wrong with their charging/storage/discharge of 1000 - 4000 kWs five-seven times per lap?
Well it appears to be that way.

They both had massive issues in the first lap (again), which can be a result of a not fully charged ERS after the lap to the grid.

Also there is a rumor that they will have a "fix" for next race to increase ERS power by 30%, so certainly the power unit lacks in some ways compared to Mercedes.

At least they are faster than the other Mercedes powered teams apart from Mercedes itself, so the chassis is not too bad, but also not as good as Redbulls :(

max_speed
max_speed

Ganxxta wrote:
xpensive wrote:Ferrari seem to be 5-8 km/h behind in Mercedes straight-line speed, which means about 5% less power, or 30-35 Hp.

Well it appears to be that way.

They both had massive issues in the first lap (again), which can be a result of a not fully charged ERS after the lap to the grid.

Also there is a rumor that they will have a "fix" for next race to increase ERS power by 30%, so certainly the power unit lacks in some ways compared to Mercedes.

At least they are faster than the other Mercedes powered teams apart from Mercedes itself, so the chassis is not too bad, but also not as good as Redbulls :(
i still see they are significantly down on power to mercs , alonso said in interview that he was too slow and his race was a nightmare and at start ferrari was good until 100 kmph hit and when alonso switched to second gear he just did not get any power , engine just coughed up . this was second time in a row that ferrari was battling to save position after first corner than making up few positions(tht was regular case last year). they must sack tht stupid Pat fry , i wont blame stefano much , he is managing team not designing . mclaren fired that stupid Pat fry and ferrari hired him and to whom they fired Costa. everyone knows he is the reason to solve mercs tyre woes , he is a very good designer and it was big loss, cost with aliision is way better combination . i am sick of reading pat fry after race same usual stuff. they are destroying Alonso and have taken up Kimi to destroy him too.

Kiril Varbanov

Re: Ferrari F14T

Alonso's opening lap in Malaysia for those who want to analyse the handling characteristics of the F14T:

SiLo

Re: Ferrari F14T

Anyone got Rosbergs first lap? Would love to see that.
Felipe Baby!