Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
basti313
basti313

Re: Ferrari F14T

Jersey Tom wrote:One race in - could their performance be better? Absolutely. We'll see how that goes. If Ferrari do have excellent reliability that will play to their advantage as the season drags on and others struggle.
I do not see why they should be so much down on performance. Raikkonen can not be discussed, he is 1sec per lap down on Alo over most parts of the race, especially with free air at the end. This should be due to some problem with the car, maybe the brakes.
Alonso had a very nice, constant pace in the last stint, nicely in the league of McLaren and Redbull. The big problem was the beginning: He just had not enough power on the straights to fight with the Merc powered cars.

I think the learning curve in PU setup is much higher than in aero and car setup. So Ferrari will be ahead of FI and McLaren when they sort out the PU problems.
Don`t russel the hamster!

diffuser

Goran2812 wrote:
ecapox wrote:So everyone BUT Ferrari breached the fuel flow limit and you knuckleheads are doom and gloom after race 1? Excellent...
i didn't see anyone else get disqualified except red bull regarding the fuel flow so your statement is not valid...
Ferrari just suck... again... for the 4 year in a row... Which is sad for a team that is a symbol for F1.

Regarding the car itself, I think aero is good, they have major problems with power delivery...

We'll see what happens in the next race

I think Alsonso is just being Alonso by putting the focus on that 35 seconds. We all should know by watching the race that he was stuck behind a slower car in force india. Once he did got he got passed, he pulled away. What you need to look at is how much time he lost to Nico once he got passed The Hulk.

munudeges
munudeges

deterherligt wrote:Ted Kravitz just said that there is a rumour that the Ferrari is 18kg overweight. Is there anyone that have heard more? That must be a massive disadvantage...
Rubbish, but now that Ricciardo has been disqualified it's become clear these rules are a ---. Expect more of this and things to descend into a legal quagmire.

alexx_88
alexx_88

diffuser wrote: I think Alsonso is just being Alonso by putting the focus on that 35 seconds. We all should know by watching the race that he was stuck behind a slower car in force india. Once he did got he got passed, he pulled away. What you need to look at is how much time he lost to Nico once he got passed The Hulk.
...and how much time he gained through the safety car. I'm pretty sure that if someone pushes the merc they'll pull another tenths out of the bag. Today's race for them was just about reliability, no point for them in pushing the power unit, especially since it has to last around 4 races.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

basti313 wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:One race in - could their performance be better? Absolutely. We'll see how that goes. If Ferrari do have excellent reliability that will play to their advantage as the season drags on and others struggle.
I do not see why they should be so much down on performance.
Any number of reasons. Could very well have taken things conservative this race weekend and focus on finishing knowing all the issues other organizations have had with the complex PU. Now they get to collect some data and decide where they want to go. Or hey they may very well have their own teething issues to figure out.

Certainly Kimi looked like he was at a major disadvantage with his brake setup. Once they've got that sorted I'm sure he'll have much better pace.

With how different everything is this season, I could see it taking a couple races to really settle in and see what the pecking order will be.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Where exactly is the >0.5 s being lost? Is it braking, power unit/tire management, downforce, all of the above? Does anyone have sector times and trap speeds?

nacho
nacho

Did anyone else notice that Kimi managed to lock a single rear wheel once, or was I seeing things?
Last edited by nacho on 16 Mar 2014, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Redragon

Alonso stated after race on spanish press:

- they didn't have to save any fuel, so calls of Ferrari engine being thirsty not being proved as stated by Ted's notebook
- also they have electrical problems, switching to manual set ups and doing so during the straight lines and managing that
way all of the race. so no the best scenario to drive today.

About Ferrari having 18 Kg more, I would like to see any proof before conclusion, Ted's notebook gossip I take it with a pitch of a salt after his thirsty statements

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Redragon wrote:Alonso stated after race on spanish press:

- they didn't have to save any fuel, so calls of Ferrari engine being thirsty not being proved as stated by Ted's notebook
- also they have electrical problems, switching to manual set ups and doing so during the straight lines and managing that

About Ferrari having 18 Kg more, I would like to see any proof before conclusion, Ted's notebook gossip I take it with a pitch of a salt after his thirsty statements
Well, that should not be considered as a major achievement, there was a restart and a 4 lap safety car period.
Enough time to save more than enough fuel...

I would be concerned if they still would have fuel issues. (like Magnussen)

Redragon

Ganxxta wrote:
Redragon wrote:Alonso stated after race on spanish press:

Well, that should not be considered as a major achievement, there was a restart and a 4 lap safety car period.
Enough time to save more than enough fuel...

I would be concerned if they still would have fuel issues. (like Magnussen)
Yep but we are talking apparently one of the most demanding tracks on fuel efficiency this year. What I am trying to say if it was thirsty as stated they would had fuel issues and that wasn't the case

smhasan7
smhasan7

Can someone help me understand what is so good with the Mercedes car with it being so fast. I understand the engine is good but so is with the other Mercedes car. what is up with the Mercedes car that makes it so fast, is it the aero, is it the Chassis, the suspension or is it a combination of all. I keep reading they had a few tenths in the pocket and that they were not really pushing it was all about reliability but I want to understand where that speed is coming from.

And what is Ferrari missing I mean I understand they had electrical issues today but what is that the area where they are lagging. Some posters say aero is good, do u agree? The engine seems down on power, I don't know.

Guys pls share ur detailed views. I'll b really grateful.

Astro
Astro

Alonso is quoted saying more or less the following (as.com):

- Mercedes engines seem from another category.
- Yes, I had some problems with the electric motor at the start... but everything has gone well after the first 10 laps.
- The truth is we have pushed to the limit during the whole race. In other words, there was no additional power left that we could have used... We didn't have to save fuel in any part of the race and were able to attack without problems, so what have done is as good as it gets [today].

radosav
radosav

Alonso said that he didn't have electric motor for first three laps!

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

If this 18kg overweight thing is true what can the team do to decrease the weight?

n_anirudh
n_anirudh