Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
yuyue
yuyue

Re: Ferrari F14T

Kimi struggling at braking was just the symptom. The cause of that could be the BBW or lack of front grip, and the cause of not enough grip was fast tire degradation.
If Kimi was struggling to mange his tires, then it could be true that F14T was overweight.

yuyue
yuyue

Good photos
These bubbles on the front tires explained Kimi's race pace. The car just put too much heat into the front tires...

idfx

Anyone know the estimated weight, this new water cooling system adopted by the ferrari team?
Is there any cooling system with gas?
thank
----------

Steven
Owner

Seriously guys. Nobody knows the weight of the Ferrari, and they surely aren't going to tell us anytime soon.

As for cooling, obviously there's an option with air cooler, but it's to reduce the size of the cooling system that Ferrari uses an intercooler with water. I have also heard they're not the only team doing so. It's a design choice, and changing to an air-to-air solution will not fit into the sidepods.

If they are overweight, it's a matter of checking each and every single component and see if it can be made lighter. It's obviously not easy, as the engine components are homologated, and can only be modified when approved by the FIA, and that is only going to happen on reliability grounds.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

yuyue wrote:
Good photos
These bubbles on the front tires explained Kimi's race pace. The car just put too much heat into the front tires...
I'm not seeing any "bubbles" there.. just marbles picked up.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

TheGkbrk wrote:If this 18kg overweight thing is true what can the team do to decrease the weight?
Short Term:

Concentrate on loosing as much mass as they can from internal components whilst keeping strength and reliability, this can loose up to 80Kg in the V8 era, Colin Kolles did this with the HRT110 in 2010, reduced it from 740Kg (20Kg overweight) to 660Kg (60Kg underweight) meaning the car was up to 4 seconds quicker due to reduced weight and ballast placement. It was their only development path and only major upgrade they did. You can loose up to 20Kg from 50 new internal parts. Id recon the Radiators, Intercooler and even wiring looms are being looked at as a Wiring Loom can easily be 25Kg. So if you loose anything from 200grammes to 500grammes from lots of different components you can save 20Kg quite quickly.

Medium Term/Long Term:

New Chassis, this can take up to 10Kg off the overall weight, however the B spec chassis for these cars will take up to 25 weeks to have the R&D put into and constructed, this i think will be on the way as Ferrari usually change their drivers chassis about Silverstone time anyways. Past two years the teams haven't changed chassis as much as previous due to cost and time constraints in the layup department, i suspect this will be the case this year as well.

There is one thing that could be done, and thats work on the Energy Store, i think work on the batteries and the energy they store and how they are stored could be the major difference. Also work on the Transformers as well, as the AC to DC and DC to AC will yield results as well. Overall, this could be enough to loose enough weight to get a little ballast to play with.

Other than that, there really isn't much that can be done quick enough. Id recon that most teams will be having a small update for Sepang, but i do think that most teams will wait for Bahrain for their first decent update this year, but tradition and convention suggests that Barcelona will be where the first major updates are introduced and thats about 8 weeks away.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Astro wrote:Alonso is quoted saying more or less the following (as.com):

- Mercedes engines seem from another category.
- Yes, I had some problems with the electric motor at the start... but everything has gone well after the first 10 laps.
- The truth is we have pushed to the limit during the whole race. In other words, there was no additional power left that we could have used... We didn't have to save fuel in any part of the race and were able to attack without problems, so what have done is as good as it gets [today].
Well damm, does not look good at all. He was quite honest, this is all we have guys!

idfx

Steven wrote:Seriously guys. Nobody knows the weight of the Ferrari, and they surely aren't going to tell us anytime soon.

As for cooling, obviously there's an option with air cooler, but it's to reduce the size of the cooling system that Ferrari uses an intercooler with water. I have also heard they're not the only team doing so. It's a design choice, and changing to an air-to-air solution will not fit into the sidepods.

If they are overweight, it's a matter of checking each and every single component and see if it can be made lighter. It's obviously not easy, as the engine components are homologated, and can only be modified when approved by the FIA, and that is only going to happen on reliability grounds.
I was curious.
I found little information about the intercooler water. For me it is a new and challenging technology to study.
Thank
----------

Powershift

heidenreich27 wrote:The problem is now who is responsible for this farce again....
The Ferrari fans with their overly high expectations, Ferrari has only ever been dominant for 2 periods, 75 to 83 winning 6 out of the 9 championships, and 99 to 08 winning 8 of the 10 championships, other than that they have usually lagged behind in one technical area or another, so them lagging behind some other teams is more the norm than the exception.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

andrewf1

TheGkbrk wrote:If this 18kg overweight thing is true what can the team do to decrease the weight?
This is only meant as a joke, but if that's true, we're gonna see an even skinnier Fernando and Kimi. With no shoes on. Both of them bald.

ironrose
ironrose

During the race, Ted Kravitz said that ferrari mentioned both the drivers were nursing some electric problem and they were down on Ultimate power

Does anyone know more details on this?

Richard
Richard

This thread is for discussing actual features of this car. The bits you can touch.

Rumours, lap times, discussion of other teams, and existential angst about hypothetical horsepower belong elsewhere. A lot of posts will be deleted and members advised.

• Race talk in the race thread.
  • Team chatter about development programmes (incl wind tunnel) belongs on the team thread.
  • Rumours about horsepower in the engine yin yang thread.
[/i]

scuderiafan

ironrose wrote:During the race, Ted Kravitz said that ferrari mentioned both the drivers were nursing some electric problem and they were down on Ultimate power

Does anyone know more details on this?
In post-race interview Alonso said that for the first three laps he had no electric power, and for the first 10, there were problems managing the electric side of the power unit. After that he said he could run flat out.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

stuartpengs

Steven wrote:Seriously guys. Nobody knows the weight of the Ferrari, and they surely aren't going to tell us anytime soon.
I wonder if it's something that could slip out after FIA weight inspection on the weigh bridge? They're randomly called in, so I suppose of all the secrets of teams' cars, the weight is one third parties are aware of, so a possible avenue there?
Last edited by stuartpengs on 18 Mar 2014, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

I doubt that can happen. I did see Alonso's car being wheeled in post race and it was a rather quick check. FIA scrut team are very tight lipped and professional so we may *never* know the weight of the cars...