Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: Ferrari F14T

How can the car be set for oversteer?

I always thought it was about it was about adding more front end grip with higher front wing angles or reduced rear wing angles and having a more aggressive front suspension setting.

Is kimi trying to drive with Alonso's setup? or it is not possible for the F14T to be setup as above?

SpainFAN
SpainFAN

bhall II wrote:If Keith Collantine is correct, Bill Ockham would indeed be proud.
...But [Alonso] put an excellent move on Vettel at Abbey and stayed ahead for 13 laps despite debris lodged in his rear wing causing balance problems.
I am interested in the potential interaction between the airbox wing and the rear wing, though. We haven't seen airbox wings for a while, and I've been curious about the one on the F14T since it showed up in winter testing.

Same here, I think you might have come pretty close to your analogy, although I think it's just not the Vortex exiting the air around the rear wing, but also the downwash at high speeds play part in the intricate aero workings.

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:How can the car be set for oversteer?

I always thought it was about it was about adding more front end grip with higher front wing angles or reduced rear wing angles and having a more aggressive front suspension setting.

Is kimi trying to drive with Alonso's setup? or it is not possible for the F14T to be setup as above?
I don't know how he did it but I think Kimi did set his car to over steer...
I thought it was very strange how the rear of his car was squirming side to side before he subsequently lost control and went off the track. Definitely an oversteer setup that he forced into the car.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

bhall II
bhall II

These are Alonso's wings for Silverstone, but I'm pretty sure I saw that Raikkonen used one similar to the one on the bottom.

The flaps appear to be set at a higher AoA, and the outside edge of the main plane is split into two segments rather than three. I think both of those factors should make for higher peak downforce for a more positive front end. That said, those factors would also make the wing more susceptible to stall in turbulent air, say in traffic. (I actually think that's what caused Raikkonen to initially understeer off track.)

EDIT: I've seriously gotta stop procrastinating work. lol

timbo
timbo

n smikle wrote:

I thought it was very strange how the rear of his car was squirming side to side before he subsequently lost control and went off the track. Definitely an oversteer setup that he forced into the car.
Or a peaky engine.

Bob Brown

timbo wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Or a peaky engine.
Definitely the engine.

Remember Canada, when the power would suddenly burst on all at once?

Bomber_Pilot

timbo wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Or a peaky engine.
@smikle He didn't crash because of oversteer. There was a gutter (a drain canal) where he rejoined the track. His rear jumped and when it came back down, the rear snaped and when that happens at that speed, you are basically a passenger.

EDIT: here is a video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ex2Htr86p4[/youtube]

nismo

https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/486214166358011904 Sounds like another attempt to add to the noise level that probably won't work out.

PlatinumZealot

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
timbo wrote:
n smikle wrote: I don't know how he did it but I think Kimi did set his car to over steer...
Or a peaky engine.
@smikle He didn't crash because of oversteer. There was a gutter (a drain canal) where he rejoined the track. His rear jumped and when it came back down, the rear snaped and when that happens at that speed, you are basically a passenger.

EDIT: here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ex2Htr86p4
You are putting words in my mouth because I never said anything about crashing... I was refering to these little squirmy moments which subsequently put Kimi off the track. He went wide while the rear was squirming around, but I wouldn't call it understeer. Actually, this for me is a quite weird thing to happen because we have seen it before with both Ferrari's this year but never while in mid corner... and notice that Alonso's car is very steady even though he is visibly countersteering... This is why is suspect some oversteer in kimi's car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqPuAPT ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Bomber_Pilot

@smikle Sorry about that. I misinterpreted what you were saying.

George-Jung
George-Jung

I always thought it was about adding more front end grip with higher front wing angles or reduced rear wing angles and having a more aggressive front suspension setting.
Toe settings, Camber settings, damper settings, ride height etc..

FW17

George-Jung wrote:

I always thought it was about adding more front end grip with higher front wing angles or reduced rear wing angles and having a more aggressive front suspension setting.
Toe settings, Camber settings, damper settings, ride height etc..
When someone says that the F14T is designed for Alonso and not Kimi, what does that mean?

Even the regulations do not allow for a weight distribution of more than 46.7% (previous years) over the front axil, so how does one design a car for Kimi?
The car has the following problems to start with:
1) Rear comes loose on entry into a corner (sudden loss of down force)
2) on exit car looses traction (sudden surge of engine power)

George-Jung
George-Jung

WilliamsF1 wrote:
When someone says that the F14T is designed for Alonso and not Kimi, what does that mean?

Even the regulations do not allow for a weight distribution of more than 46.7% (previous years) over the front axil, so how does one design a car for Kimi?
The car has the following problems to start with:
1) Rear comes loose on entry into a corner (sudden loss of down force)
2) on exit car looses traction (sudden surge of engine power)
If it was that easy to solve, Ferrari would already have done it..
Maybe Ferrari doesn't have a good working 'FRIC' suspension system?

bhall II
bhall II

WilliamsF1 wrote:When someone says that the F14T is designed for Alonso and not Kimi, what does that mean?

[...]
I don't think the question is necessarily off-topic, but I know for a fact my answer is. Follow me...

TechF1

Again blown weel nuts testing :D