2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

zeph wrote:
myurr wrote:
zeph wrote:I don't have the live timing app. From where I was sitting, it looked to me that RBR and McLaren were second fastest today. The results seem to back this up.
Were it not for his brush with the wall Bottas would have been challenging for the podium. Considering where he started that shows how quick the car is. In the first stint he was second only to Rosberg in pace, which may have cost him a little bit in the second half.

Even Button just commented on how quick the Williams is.
On what tires? And what tires did the others have?

On a different note, Massa demads action against Kobayashi:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112951
Massa always demands action, nothing new there :lol:

sennafan24
sennafan24

mnmracer wrote:Kevin really is doing the definition of "sticking it to" though.
This.

Only Kevin beat his teammate in a straight fight this weekend.

D.R and Nico were both aided by mechanical problems their teammate faced. That said, both drove really well.
Last edited by sennafan24 on 16 Mar 2014, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ultra_Tech
Ultra_Tech

I'll be honest, it's getting harder and harder to justify getting up in the early hours of the morning to watch this dross. Same as last year really, one manufacturer miles in front of the others, race over by lap 5, artificial overtaking and of course double points in the final race of the season. F1 is becoming a bit of a circus imo.

djos

2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

Fantastic drive from Dan, Nico and Kevin - really really top level precision stuff from all three!

Bottas also did a great job aside from that one mistake, definitely showed a lot of promise.
"In downforce we trust"

Traction

Ultra_Tech wrote:I'll be honest, it's getting harder and harder to justify getting up in the early hours of the morning to watch this dross. Same as last year really, one manufacturer miles in front of the others, race over by lap 5, artificial overtaking and of course double points in the final race of the season. F1 is becoming a bit of a circus imo.
I'd hang in thee if I were you. Once the top teams start getting all aspects of the new format pinned down and " perfected" the racing will become more apparant. The fuel issue to me is a non issue as Australia been the hardest circuit on fuel proved not to impact on the cars at all. I for one think that things are going to even out after about 5 races and the benefits of the changes in regards to racing will become apparant.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

"Looking at Mercedes's race simulation, it wouldn't be a surprise if they finished two laps ahead of everyone in Melbourne. They have a massive advantage. What we know about Lewis is that he is extremely talented and naturally fast. And he's in a good team, so he's probably got to be the favourite going into the season."

NathanOlder

I wonder how far Mercedes would have finished infront if they pushed hard the whole race. If Lewis was still running atleast the 2 Merc drivers would have pushed each other
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djos

NathanOlder wrote:I wonder how far Mercedes would have finished infront if they pushed hard the whole race. If Lewis was still running atleast the 2 Merc drivers would have pushed each other
It won't ever happen, they simply don't have the fuel to push for the entire race.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

djos wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:I wonder how far Mercedes would have finished infront if they pushed hard the whole race. If Lewis was still running atleast the 2 Merc drivers would have pushed each other
It won't ever happen, they simply don't have the fuel to push for the entire race.
But if the Mercedes car is 2 seconds a lap faster, everyone has to save fuel. so even when the cars are saving fuel the Mercedes cars will still be considerably faster.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

gray41

Mercedes-Benz =D>
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

CHT
CHT

The race today is pretty much about engine reliability and fuel consumption. And now KERS is no longer something which we could see when its being activated to overtake and DRS overtaking is no longer important anymore. And the sound is just horrible. I actually dose offer after 20 laps.

Helios

I can only hope they don't need to change Lewis' engine, that would be an even bigger blow to his ambitions. But knowing his luck, they probably will have to.

myurr
myurr

Helios wrote:I can only hope they don't need to change Lewis' engine, that would be an even bigger blow to his ambitions. But knowing his luck, they probably will have to.
Word from the team was that they're hopeful they won't need to and that it is probably electrical or sensor related.

Ultra_Tech
Ultra_Tech

CHT wrote:The race today is pretty much about engine reliability and fuel consumption. And now KERS is no longer something which we could see when its being activated to overtake and DRS overtaking is no longer important anymore. And the sound is just horrible. I actually dose offer after 20 laps.
F1 lost it's way years ago. I call it WW-F1, these days, so many gimmicks. Back in the day, Qualifying was so simple. 1 Hour, fastest man at the end of the session is on pole.

Now, its Q1,Q2,Q3, then teams didnt even bother running in Q3 to save tyres for the race, now you get your tyres from Q2, next min everyones using artificial turbo boosts to overtake each other, FIA changing the rules every other week....F1 is like Mario Kart these days, almost unrecognizable to the 90's.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Helios wrote:I can only hope they don't need to change Lewis' engine, that would be an even bigger blow to his ambitions. But knowing his luck, they probably will have to.
He won't get a grid penalty but losing 1 of 5 PU is a penalty by itself.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012