Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Haas - American team in F1

xpensive wrote:I stand at awe, learning that so many members take the Haas thing seriously.
Oh dear...here we go again.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

strad wrote:
xpensive wrote:I stand at awe, learning that so many members take the Haas thing seriously.
Oh dear...here we go again.
And if I didn't have umerica-bashing for a pastime, what would I do?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

:lol: :lol: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

This one's for you Strad, my love-hate with the US goes far back;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP4tRUuqUY

I cry everytime.

xpensive
xpensive

So we have a go when the moderators are looking elsewheres is it?

The scandinavians were horrible in scotland way back when, can't see how it matters today though.

Surprised you don't bring up the holocaust and Gallileo when at it, but the point is that I love the US.

strad

when you're not hating th U.S..
Come now this is in good fun,,we've hashed this many times..I certainly am not looking for a fight.
Haas will succeed or fail and you'll have your fun. :wink: PAX
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

"I think now he (Haug) is basically doing DTM commentating, and Stefano I have no idea what he's going to do in the future or if he has figured out something," said Steiner.
"But I'm sure we will speak with him, and never say never, because they are both good people and they've been around a long time and their experience, for sure, has got value."

marcush.
marcush.

the pure numbers would suggest Talent pool in america should be a LOT bigger than in europe as racing is just on another level in terms of turnover,races held ,People employed in motorsports etc etc.
But then you have to realise the pinnancle is not Indy or Talladega it is LeMans ,Monaco Monza Formula 1 and LMP racing at least we europeans think so.could someone who learned the ropes in USmotorsports cross the Pond and jump in and be instantly successful when Teams like Caterham ,HRT, and Marrussia fail to make an Impression for how many years going being euro orientated ?
Formula 1 seems to be fickle enough that neither a Horde of boffins coming directly from a formula 1 plus a sizeable amount of cash and decent Drivers will make a new Team half competitive..which is surprising .
At times it Looks like you Need Newey at all costs is needed to come see and conquer ..and even that did not work instantly....Toyota failed with taking the more cash invested route ...it seems there are just too many possible dead end roads in this Business to allow for success in less than 4or 5 years even if you are not cash strapped.
So anyone seriously taking on formula 1 would start with a 5or 6 year planning and would only ever give the go ahead if the finance for that time was in place and safe.

beelsebob
beelsebob

marcush. wrote:the pure numbers would suggest Talent pool in america should be a LOT bigger than in europe as racing is just on another level in terms of turnover,races held ,People employed in motorsports etc etc.
What makes you think that? The population of the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy are together as large as the population of the USA, and that's a small subset of the population of Europe.

xpensive
xpensive

strad wrote: ...
Haas will succeed or fail and you'll have your fun. :wink: PAX
Believe me strad, when Haas even shows up on the grid, I'll eat a baclava,

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

As Marcus wrote:
.it seems there are just too many possible dead end roads in this Business to allow for success in less than 4or 5 years even if you are not cash strapped.
So anyone seriously taking on formula 1 would start with a 5or 6 year planning and would only ever give the go ahead if the finance for that time was in place and safe.
Red Bull exemplifies that observation.
Haas has too little time to be anything like reasonably ready at the start of 2015 and he is aware that 2016 is too far off so he will be 'sitting in neutral' for too long. Haas may have significant funds available - bit NOTHING like what is required to be in F1. Red Bull has the finances, bought a functional (though shambolic) team but it took lots of head hunting & time before they moved up the results sheet. It is the financial (sponser) side that will make or break his effort I think.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

beelsebob wrote:
marcush. wrote:the pure numbers would suggest Talent pool in america should be a LOT bigger than in europe as racing is just on another level in terms of turnover,races held ,People employed in motorsports etc etc.
What makes you think that? The population of the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy are together as large as the population of the USA, and that's a small subset of the population of Europe.
The US has a large and profitable military and aerospace industry bidding for young engineers. They pay well and offer good stability.

bhall
bhall

I think folks sometimes confuse the absence of expertise in a given discipline for an inability to acquire expertise in that discipline, when they're really not the same at all. What that means here is that there's very little reason for the vast majority of race engineers/designers/whatever in the U.S. to have F1 know-how simply because there are precious few avenues in the U.S. for which that knowledge is applicable.

If you work in NASCAR, for instance, in what ways would it be beneficial for you to possess the knowledge required to design flexible carbon fiber wings? And if you're the owner of that team, why would you hire someone with that background? In both cases, someone who knows more about NASCAR than F1 is far and away the better fit, regardless of anything else. So, naturally, that know-how tends be more in-demand.

But, does that mean such knowledge is a Holy Grail for which only the Old Countries have a key? That's bullshit. The resources and potential to undertake any competitive endeavor exists in abundance here in the States, just as it does across the pond. It's but a question of putting them all to work.

Random factoid: Did you know that an American team, Pratt & Miller, recently dominated its class in GT racing for the better part of 15 years?

I also think the idea that a Formula One team needs a European base is a bit of a red herring. For one thing, it's a tacit implication that it's somehow impossible for man and material to cross the Atlantic Ocean, when anyone who's ever been on an airplane can tell you differently. While it's obviously not an ideal situation, one can be anywhere in the world, with anything needed for the trip, in less than 24 hours. All that's needed is a plan.

Beyond that, it's not like any current F1 team has a leg up on anyone in this regard, because it's FOM that handles the logistics for flyaway grands prix, not the teams themselves. They just have to get their --- together on time. Otherwise, they move everything via truck, a fact of life for American race teams who do the same thing for up to 36 weeks per year, throughout a country only marginally smaller than all of Europe.

Random factoid: Did you know that the U.S. is home to four of the top-10 shipping companies in the world?

None of this is to suggest in any way that Gene Haas is a lock for F1, because I don't believe that's the case at all. I just think if he fails, it won't be the result of anything that's prompted the hand-waving that seems to make up the lion's share of what's being bandied about around here. On the contrary, It will be because he simply couldn't get it done. In no way will it be because it cannot possibly be done.

Constructr
Constructr

strad wrote:Good Heavens man...Which country/people do you think have clean hands?

What do past hypocrisies have to do with F1 racing?

Did not the Brits do their fair share of raping and pillaging? The Dutch? Germans? Aussies? Even them nice Canadians? :lol:
Come now, humans are pigs. The cats that sold those blacks as slaves were black.
Surely you have to dislike us for something other than the fact that we are hypocritical, bigoted, greedy a§sholes, imported from every other country on the globe. :wink:

Yes, and they seem to forget that were it not for the US, the French and British would be speaking German and China would be a Japanese territory. Additionally, the most recent US attempt at F1 was 1/2 British :lol:
I wish Haas the best of luck and hope he brings some good competition to F1.

Cheers!

#Keep Fighting Michael!

xpensive
xpensive

bhall wrote:I think folks sometimes confuse the absence of expertise in a given discipline for an inability to acquire expertise in that discipline, when they're really not the same at all. What that means here is that there's very little reason for the vast majority of race engineers/designers/whatever in the U.S. to have F1 know-how simply because there are precious few avenues in the U.S. for which that knowledge is applicable. ...

Random factoid: Did you know that an American team, Pratt & Miller, recently dominated its class in GT racing for the better part of 15 years?

Most scandiavians I know who has lived outside the seafront cities of the US compare it to Albania technnology-wise.

Give it to me strad?