Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall
bhall

Re: Haas - American team in F1

We call those the flyover states. Admittedly, it's a bit rustic here in my part of Kansas, one of the aforementioned states, and where I have to drive ~30 miles over terrain that's literally flatter than a pancake to reach a grocery store, but the region isn't without promise. Why the Ames Laboratory is but a few short hours away in Iowa.

Random factoid: Did you know that the Saturn V rocket and International Space Station were designed and developed in Alabama?

ecapox

bhall wrote: .....Why the Ames Laboratory is but a few short hours away in Iowa......
GO CYCLONES!!! :D

bhall
bhall

Even more impressive is the world's largest ball of twine. C'mon, how you compete with that? It's open 24 hours a day!

xpensive
xpensive

Like when I was living in PA, reading R&T in the tavern and the waitress goes, "Do you like to read, I like to read?

"Small world"
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall
bhall

Interesting. Did you get a chance to ask any of the other 315,000,000 U.S. citizens about their hobbies?

xpensive
xpensive

Not much more than I learned that the population of Seattle/Bellevue appreciated their scandinavian heritage,
or perhaps the ladies just told me so to get laid, how could I ever tell?

bhall
bhall

I too have a deep appreciation for Scandinavian heritage. Just the other day, I put together a fine modular table that required only minimal instruction and came equipped with all the necessary tools.

xpensive
xpensive

The insex-tool sucks, I give you that.

Moxie
Moxie

bhall wrote:I think folks sometimes confuse the absence of expertise in a given discipline for an inability to acquire expertise in that discipline, when they're really not the same at all. What that means here is that there's very little reason for the vast majority of race engineers/designers/whatever in the U.S. to have F1 know-how simply because there are precious few avenues in the U.S. for which that knowledge is applicable.

If you work in NASCAR, for instance, in what ways would it be beneficial for you to possess the knowledge required to design flexible carbon fiber wings? And if you're the owner of that team, why would you hire someone with that background? In both cases, someone who knows more about NASCAR than F1 is far and away the better fit, regardless of anything else. So, naturally, that know-how tends be more in-demand.

But, does that mean such knowledge is a Holy Grail for which only the Old Countries have a key? That's bullshit. The resources and potential to undertake any competitive endeavor exists in abundance here in the States, just as it does across the pond. It's but a question of putting them all to work.

Random factoid: Did you know that an American team, Pratt & Miller, recently dominated its class in GT racing for the better part of 15 years?

I also think the idea that a Formula One team needs a European base is a bit of a red herring. For one thing, it's a tacit implication that it's somehow impossible for man and material to cross the Atlantic Ocean, when anyone who's ever been on an airplane can tell you differently. While it's obviously not an ideal situation, one can be anywhere in the world, with anything needed for the trip, in less than 24 hours. All that's needed is a plan.

Beyond that, it's not like any current F1 team has a leg up on anyone in this regard, because it's FOM that handles the logistics for flyaway grands prix, not the teams themselves. They just have to get their --- together on time. Otherwise, they move everything via truck, a fact of life for American race teams who do the same thing for up to 36 weeks per year, throughout a country only marginally smaller than all of Europe.

Random factoid: Did you know that the U.S. is home to four of the top-10 shipping companies in the world?

None of this is to suggest in any way that Gene Haas is a lock for F1, because I don't believe that's the case at all. I just think if he fails, it won't be the result of anything that's prompted the hand-waving that seems to make up the lion's share of what's being bandied about around here. On the contrary, It will be because he simply couldn't get it done. In no way will it be because it cannot possibly be done.
I absolutely agree. I am notconvinced that Haas will succeed in entering F1, but this is not a reflection on the engineering talent available in the US. Our thriving defense and aerospace industry is more than capable of the task. American aerospace industry can build vehicles that explore Mars. I think they can handle a race car. I'd much rather see our engineers spend some time building a race car than fighter jets, and spy satellites.

I've mentioned Pratt&Miller a few times myself, and we mustn't leave out the talent available at the big three. We tend to kick these companies around for their poor financial decisions, but let's not forget that the Corvette of recent years performs with Ferrari and Porsche for a FRACTION OF THE COST!!! Now that right there, is exactly the kind of engineers a fledgling F1 team will need.

Frankly I'd base an American F1 team in Seattle. The extreme engineering of F1 is more akin to spaceships and fighter jets, than anything commonly considered automotive.

The only argument I have for a European base is one of time and distance. If repairs or mods need to be made to the car, it still takes time to load the car on the plane and fly it across the ocean, then unload it., then reverse the process. Time is a precious commodity in this sport, and the importance of saving time should not be overlooked.

countersteer
countersteer

"The latest reports from Italy, where the Haas team plans to have its first car manufactured by chassis-maker Dallara, suggest 2016 is now the most likely debut date for the new American team.
"We've got the option to start in '16 if we think it is not doable in a good, professional way for '15," admitted Steiner.
The Italian reports also said Haas officials are set to travel to Maranello to meet with Marco Mattiacci, the new sporting chief at Ferrari, Haas' likely powertrain supplier.
And Haas said the team will rely on its "technology partner" for more than just a turbo V6.
He said Haas Formula will also outsource the "transmissions, KERS systems, suspensions, steering wheel. All of those things are going to come packaged to us," he revealed.
"So our main thing is just focusing on the construction of the aero and chassis and getting to the races," Haas added.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140429/F1/140429833

What are the rules limiting testing for a new team? What tires are used? It would appear that Haas could be used as a test team for Ferrari (or other) based on the rules. Anybody?

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:The insex-tool sucks, I give you that.

+1 Inside hex is not sexy at all.

some design engineers and spannerman have a faible for it unfortunatelly also in Germany .... :wtf:

MOWOG

And if a frog had wings, it wouldn't hit its ass a'hopping! :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

countersteer
countersteer

Would somebody tell me what the testing rules are for new teams??? What tires do they use? Please ....
Last edited by Steven on 02 May 2014, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pointless image removed

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

countersteer wrote:Would somebody tell me what the testing rules are for new teams??? What tires do they use?
IMO you'd be crazy to test with anything but appropriate Pirellis.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

FW17

Jersey Tom wrote:
countersteer wrote:Would somebody tell me what the testing rules are for new teams??? What tires do they use?
IMO you'd be crazy to test with anything but appropriate Pirellis.
It would be crazy to not test and end up like Renault teams this year. Does not matter what tyres they use or which track they use but absolutely vital that they test. It is best for a team with no experience to validate everything they do on track.