Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Haas - American team in F1

60DShim wrote:As an American, I don't see this ending well. Listening to Gene Haas during the news conference I think he is in way over his head. I'm hoping for the best as if they are successful it would help F1 be more popular here in the states but I'm expecting the worst.
The annual budget to succeed in F1 is still substantial, at least 200 MEUR for a top team, I don't thing Haas will have that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

lebesset
lebesset

if it hadn't have been for his prison sentence for tax fraud I would never have heard of mr haas

could it be that he doesn't really expect this to fly , but that it will be a good investment in raising his international profile ?
as a certain group of people were reputed to say , it's only business ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

xpensive
xpensive

lebesset wrote:if it hadn't have been for his prison sentence for tax fraud I would never have heard of mr haas

could it be that he doesn't really expect this to fly , but that it will be a good investment in raising his international profile ?
as a certain group of people were reputed to say , it's only business ?
I was thinking the same thing actually, just a publicity stunt, I got suspicious when he had brought in Gunther Steiner. Peter Windsor at least had a long track-record in the Formula 1 paddock, as it was of now, but this guy is a joke.

autogyro
autogyro

Money manipulation I will not say the actual words.
In any case Americans have tried in the past.
They should place more interest in getting rid of some of their military aircraft which are all simply money mines designed to steal from the tax payer and far from capable in comparison with other countries types.
America lost its source of technical innovation some three decades ago when the sources from England dried up.
It is the same with motor sport.

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

It does seem to be the American way to base everything in the USA. I've only been three times but "Built in USA" does seem to be the biggest selling point out there. I saw TV's where BUILT IN THE USA was far further up the priority list than the size or whether or not it was HD, which were listed in small print on the side.

I think Haas needs to swallow up his pride and accept that the "European just-throw-money-at-things-and-go-racing approach" has worked quite well for the past 50 years.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

autogyro wrote:Money manipulation I will not say the actual words.
In any case Americans have tried in the past.
They should place more interest in getting rid of some of their military aircraft which are all simply money mines designed to steal from the tax payer and far from capable in comparison with other countries types.
America lost its source of technical innovation some three decades ago when the sources from England dried up.
It is the same with motor sport.
come on, what the hell does a crappy new f1 startup have to do with any of that political BS?
ACJJ619 wrote:It does seem to be the American way to base everything in the USA. I've only been three times but "Built in USA" does seem to be the biggest selling point out there. I saw TV's where BUILT IN THE USA was far further up the priority list than the size or whether or not it was HD, which were listed in small print on the side.

I think Haas needs to swallow up his pride and accept that the "European just-throw-money-at-things-and-go-racing approach" has worked quite well for the past 50 years.
I'm not at all defending Haas' remarks when I say this, but "Made in USA" is a big selling point here for a couple of reasons, depending on the particular market. USA has been suffering from a LOT of jobs (especially manufacturing) being outsourced for decades, so it's usually meant to convey that if you buy a "made in USA" product, you are supporting the domestic economy, and/or NOT supporting sweat shop operations in 3rd world countries. There is also the perception that the build will be higher quality but that's probably a less concrete claim to make.

At any rate, none of this has anything to do with Haas sounding like a d-bag in his press conference. As an American,I would appreciate if people in this thread keep in mind that he does NOT speak for America, nor does this have anything to do with any "American way". He wants to base his operations in the US because he already has the infrastructure built here.

xpensive
xpensive

USF1 2.0 disclosed!

countersteer
countersteer

... and xpensive leads the America bashing thread.... again....

xpensive
xpensive

countersteer wrote:... and xpensive leads the America bashing thread.... again....
Not at all, I have lived many years in the US and still love it, but gimmick-teams is another matter, regardless of origin.

dren

Well his reasoning to me is sound for his decisions on buying a chassis and PU package. He wants his people training with Dallara while they build the chassis so they can build their own in the future.

It's the best way to go in F1 as a starting team next to outright buying a team.

I don't expect to see them on the grid next year, but if they make it, it'll be some achievement indeed.
Honda!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pup wrote:I have no desire for Haas to become a "USA" team. They should pick their engines, staff, drivers, HQ location, etc. based on what's best for the team, not because they want to foster a national identity. I'd rather they simply be a team that happens to be owned by a US company. I think that alone is enough of a US identity to suit the fans and any sponsors who might care about such things.
Indeed so. This approach works very well for Mercedes, Red Bull, Force India - all are basically British teams that are owned by foreign companies/individuals and are marketed as being German/Austrian/Indian to the fans and sponsors.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moxie
Moxie

ACJJ619 wrote:It does seem to be the American way to base everything in the USA. I've only been three times but "Built in USA" does seem to be the biggest selling point out there. I saw TV's where BUILT IN THE USA was far further up the priority list than the size or whether or not it was HD, which were listed in small print on the side.

Is there something wrong with national pride in regards to F1? I'll argue that the answer is no. The enthusiasm the Italians have for their home built Ferrari's is endearing. I've been in the grandstands with a bunch of crazy Brazillians as they played their trumpets and drums every time Senna, Piquet and even back marker Gugelmin passed our position. It was wonderful, the excitement in the air. Yes, I too would like to enjoy that kind of national pride. it is not violent, not political,and there are no imperialistic attitudes. This is just good old "root for the home team" enthusiasm.

GitanesBlondes

I also see Gene's little F1 toe-dipping as a way to raise his own profile for a little bit.

It has to kill him that in spite of owning a NASCAR team, Tony Stewart gets more recognition than he does in NASCAR. This is a good way to get out of the shadows for a little bit and raise his overall profile.

It makes little sense to get involved with F1 as it will not end well for Gene Haas...shades of Jaguar and every other high-profile losing endeavor in F1. He'd be better off saving his money and fielding an IndyCar team. There's nowhere but up for that series to go currently, and I'd rather get in on the ground floor now since the cost to play is far, far less compared to F1.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

60DShim
60DShim

I'm not sure where you went or when you came here but that is not the selling point here. I can't recall the last time I seen a commercial saying "built in the usa" Everything, literally everything I have bought in the past 15 years was made in china or some south east Asian country.

Moxie
Moxie

GitanesBlondes wrote:I also see Gene's little F1 toe-dipping as a way to raise his own profile for a little bit.

It has to kill him that in spite of owning a NASCAR team, Tony Stewart gets more recognition than he does in NASCAR. This is a good way to get out of the shadows for a little bit and raise his overall profile.

It makes little sense to get involved with F1 as it will not end well for Gene Haas...shades of Jaguar and every other high-profile losing endeavor in F1. He'd be better off saving his money and fielding an IndyCar team. There's nowhere but up for that series to go currently, and I'd rather get in on the ground floor now since the cost to play is far, far less compared to F1.

I agree with this for several different reasons. Frankly, I have serious concerns about the Haas F1 endeavor because of his lack of infrastructure, his lack of development program, and the lack of a team. For a fraction of the cost of F1, Haas can compete in several race series, allowing him to develop relationships with more sponsors, and suppliers. He can interact with more personnel with road racing experience, and poach a few. His team can build a cohesiveness, and plan for the future, by developing protocols ahead of the leap into F1. If he competes in an international series he can build the logistic infrastructure he will someday need to compete in F1.