Four Off

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MOWOG

Four Off

Every race weekend, we hear how Charlie Whiting has warned the drivers in their pre-race meeting that they will be penalized if they put all four wheels off the racing surface. Usually during the race, we hear one team or another telling their drivers by radio to "respect the track limits", which means Charlie has called down to the pits with a warning.

Vettel is one of the worst offenders. Today at Spa he had all four wheels off at least once and often twice on EVERY LAP! And yet, no penalty was assessed.

Personally, I think it's a stupid rule. But if it's going to be on the books, it should be enforced. Perhaps if every driver was given a drive through penalty every time they put four wheels over the track limits, people would realize how idiotic the rule is and force its repeal.

Failure to enforce one rule diminishes respect for every other rule. Enforce it or get rid of it.

That's what I say. What do you think?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

strad

Re: Four Off

ENFORCE IT!!!!!!
The track limits are supposed to be the track limits.. What purpose does it serve to have a defined track if they can run wherever they want?
Why should there be no punishment for not confining themselves to the laid out course?
Do you think they should be able to do anything they want in other areas? Perhaps cheat a little on engine size.. or wheelbase.. maybe fudge on the fuel, or tires. Where would you have it end.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Juzh

While I agree vettel does it somewhat more often than some others, everyone would get at least 10 penalties in spa if they enforced this rule to the letter. This is what you get with tarmac run-off. We'll just have to deal with it as it doesn't seem FIA intends to act on it anytime soon. Parabolica will probably be hilarious in that regard this year with everyone pushing it over the limit with no real consequence.

Juzh

strad wrote: Do you think they should be able to do anything they want in other areas? Perhaps cheat a little on engine size.. or wheelbase.. maybe fudge on the fuel, or tires. Where would you have it end.
Technical regs are easier to enforce than sporting regs imo.

Pierce89

Juzh wrote:While I agree vettel does it somewhat more often than some others, everyone would get at least 10 penalties in spa if they enforced this rule to the letter. This is what you get with tarmac run-off. We'll just have to deal with it as it doesn't seem FIA intends to act on it anytime soon. Parabolica will probably be hilarious in that regard this year with everyone pushing it over the limit with no real consequence.
I'm afraid the Parabolica has probably become a joke of a corner. Before, it was a struggle to maintain speed without touching the grass and spinning. Now, no consequences for going over the edge.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Ennis
Ennis

I never understood it - I'd say it was more than once or twice a lap from Vettel, and that was after his warning. He was visibly a hell of a lot worse than anyone else for it yesterday, and its a bit of a trend from them.

I like the little slippy bits of what looks like astroturf that are being used now though, should begin to drive home the risks for people and we seen Vettel actually spin due to this in a previous race.

My guess is there are certain corners where you're not deemed to gain an advantage for not going off. Annoying, definitely.

Waywardism
Waywardism

I feel the astroturf only really works in the wet, in the dry they seem to be able to accelerate full speed out of corners on it.

I agree track limits should be respected at all times, whether that's enforced through penalties or effective run off areas I don't really care, I'm just sick of the inconsistency.

AnthonyG

I think I saw a lot of drivers 4 wheels off at the top of radillion, is this so? Why doesn't it get penalised?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

The Egg
The Egg

The stewards don't seem to have a problem enforcing the rule in btcc... No reason they couldn't enforce it in F1. After all these are meant to be the best drivers (pay drivers excepted).

notsofast
notsofast

Enforce it! Why would I want to see a driver win a race if he can't keep his car on the road? I want to see the best-and-fastest drivers, not just the fastest drivers. Anyone can learn how to drive a fast car. Not everyone can be fast within the rules of the sport.

MOWOG

Well, no dissenters so far. :D

Are you listening Charlie? Jean? Bernie?

No? I didn't think so. :x
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

GitanesBlondes

That's what happens when you have no real track limits, and curbs that are friendly to ride.

Track limits are never going to be truly enforced because it has become too subjective.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Andres125sx

IMHO the only way to do it safely and avoid these problems would be with 1-2m of grass just after the track, and then after those 1-2 meters of grass the rest of the exit to the fence should be tarmac. This way they could never go wide without loosing a lot of time because they will go straight on the grass (or will spin) so they´ll loose the line, but it would be safe for braking if out of control with tarmac the most part
GitanesBlondes wrote:That's what happens when you have no real track limits, and curbs that are friendly to ride.
True, curbs should be the safe zone just in case you slide and go wide, not part of the track because that actually makes them more dangerous than if they wouldn´t be there. They are higher than tarmac so the step is higher and the chances to loose control of the car higher

PS: curbs or kerbs? I´d always called them kerbs, but it´s just because I read it on some forum so I don´t know what´s the correct one :?:

Waywardism
Waywardism

The word curb means to put a restraint on something. Kerb is the correct English word. Although curb is also the US spelling of the English word kerb.

So go ahead and use whatever suits you.

SectorOne

It´s like tire and tyre, color, colour. Merican or British, both correct.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"