Suzuki unveils Super Aguri F1 team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iceman1uk

Suzuki unveils Super Aguri F1 team

Former racing driver Aguri Suzuki on Saturday unveiled his new Super Aguri team that will compete for the first time on the Formula One circuit this season.

"I want to report good results in the near future," Suzuki told journalists in Tokyo flanked by his two Japanese drivers, Takuma Sato and newcomer Yuji Ide.

Suzuki launched the team late last year and signed ex-BAR Honda pilot Sato and novice Ide to herald the first all-Japanese driver line-up in the history of Formula One.

His team is preparing to join the 2006 F1 championship with the first race set for March 12 in Bahrain. Sato is the second Japanese driver to achieve a podium place in a Grand Prix after Suzuki.

"I think it will be tough at the beginning, but I want to perform better step by step," said Sato.

Suzuki, now 45, has said he wants to retire at 50, reiterating his resolve to see his drivers stand on the Formula One podium in a few years. Suzuki made his debut at the Japan Grand Prix in 1988 and was the first Asian to stand on the Formula One podium in Suzuka in 1990 when he finished third.

Having finished his F1 driving career in 1995, he has shifted focus to developing his team Super Aguri, with selected drivers now competing in Japanese and US races.

jaslfc
jaslfc

i think for this year.. we got a challenger for position of 'MOVING chicane'

manchild
manchild

Aguri should have Mitsubishi engines and car named Zero since kamikaze is already driver number one (not to mention livery color scheme) :wink:

jezzwa

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

ranger
ranger

I think Aguri Suzuki is very serious....see the first picture...look at the car...and then the A24 car...very big difference :roll:
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

joseff

We wouldn't know, nobody outside of TWR ever saw an A24.

ketanpaul

i think it is a big mistake two have demolition derby sato as no. 1 and an inexperienced novice as a no.2. first of all aguri is starting a new team almost from scratch secondly, he doesnt have a good chassis and to add to this if he gets drivers like this, then i dunno what is his future. he should had probably got people like alex wurz and montagny in the drivers seat rather than making montagny his test driver. a new team needed valuable additions from people like wurz and montagny. what feedback can sato give? how to fix a broken car? or perhaps testing the strength of the front wing like he did in spa.

The all jap lineup is gonna cost him heavily

zjeeraar
zjeeraar

yeah its still an a23, but i have to agree with the rest, it looks a totally different car, especially from the rear! amazing what they can do with an 4 year old chassis.. lets hope it works for them
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

manchild
manchild

Couldn’t resist... :mrgreen:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

ketanpaul wrote:i think it is a big mistake two have demolition derby sato as no. 1 and an inexperienced novice as a no.2. first of all aguri is starting a new team almost from scratch secondly, he doesnt have a good chassis and to add to this if he gets drivers like this, then i dunno what is his future. he should had probably got people like alex wurz and montagny in the drivers seat rather than making montagny his test driver. a new team needed valuable additions from people like wurz and montagny. what feedback can sato give? how to fix a broken car? or perhaps testing the strength of the front wing like he did in spa.

The all jap lineup is gonna cost him heavily
The problem is, one of the major reasons why SA was rushed to race this year and is heavily supported by Honda is the fact that Honda feel the need to have Sato driving in F1. Politics and economics sometimes give weird results. So Sato is going to be in SA, that is carved in stone.
This time, they really do have the cart before the horse.
That being said, SA will quickly improve by year's end. I do wish them all the best, that organization has worked very hard to be where they are right now.

f1.redbaron

manchild wrote:Couldn’t resist... :mrgreen:

I don't see any Toyotas. Are they ahead of Renault?

manchild
manchild

f1.redbaron wrote:I don't see any Toyotas. Are they ahead of Renault?
No, they are below the deck on repair :mrgreen:

ketanpaul

The problem is, one of the major reasons why SA was rushed to race this year and is heavily supported by Honda is the fact that Honda feel the need to have Sato driving in F1. Politics and economics sometimes give weird results. So Sato is going to be in SA, that is carved in stone.
This time, they really do have the cart before the horse.
That being said, SA will quickly improve by year's end. I do wish them all the best, that organization has worked very hard to be where they are right now.
perhaps you are right. theres now doubt that the team has worked extremely hard in a very short time, but my point is all this really isnt worth giving sato a drive. but maybe sato will realise this and drive responsibly. all the best to the new team!!!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Sato drive responsibly? I haven't seen him capable of that yet.

vyselegend

DaveKillens wrote:Sato drive responsibly? I haven't seen him capable of that yet.
Yes I have to agree. It's not like if everybody on this forum were hating Sato for free. When you look at his driving, and especially the 2005 season, and what kind of irresponsible (and dangerous) moves he's able of, I think he really deserves thoses comments. Plus among all the reason to give a driver a racing seat, the "nationalist" one is probably the worse, and the most anthipatic. It's not like I hate Sato, but he realy does not deserve this seat, and some other drivers definitly does...