Toyota's zero keel solution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Toyota's zero keel solution

Look at this:

Now let's get the facts straight:
- The TF105 was a single keel design
- TF105B initiated a switch to zero keel as suspension mounts were changed. The monocoque remained the same (with keel still in place), as a new one would need a new crash test - see http://www.f1technical.net/features/1247 .
- This year's TF106 is supposed to be a zero keeled car.

Now, the above is a picture taken on friday at Bahrain. If my eyes don't deceive me that is the situation of the TF105B while they are running the TF106.
What is going wrong at Toyota with their monocoque then? Problems with structure? Failed crash test? :?

manchild
manchild

If any team could afford to make new chassis during the winter than it was Toyota. Why are they still using keel on car that has no-keel design I really can't tell. It might not be too much interfering with aero but when a team has 400 mil budget this seams outrageous.

This is a team that tends to fight for the championship and still they modify car bit by bit like some poor team from the back of the grid. Having in mind their budget that car (TF106) is awfully designed with pile of additional aero bits and very square sidepods.

Sawtooth-spike

it does seem a little pointless developing a zero keel car, and leave the Keel on.

I think the reason they are making a new car half way through this year is becasue they know this car is a duck.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

zac510
zac510

Sawtooth-spike wrote:it does seem a little pointless developing a zero keel car, and leave the Keel on.
Not entirely - the main advantage probably comes from moving the wishbones.

Tomba, don't they intend to release a new chassis around Imola time?

Steven
Owner

formula1.com wrote:The elongated splitter under the cockpit helps in dividing the airflow under the car and improving the efficiency of its bottom.
Quite funny... those guys think it's some kind of new design while obviously on that picture I posted, it is a keel from a single keel suspension (a splitter wouldn't be that wide would it?).

Btw... that new TF106B is an update of this TF106. This is not an "old" car as they have only recently included their new aero package (which doesn't work at all apparently).
Last edited by Steven on 11 Mar 2006, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

True. I suppose this proves that they're not up to Tomba's and F1technicals expertise. :D
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

benjabulle
benjabulle

I was wondering the same when the car came out in november, why did they retain the keel ? Scarbs got the answer from Gascoyne : " I asked Mike gascoyne this question a few weeks ago, it seems the keel has little aero effect, but help with the packaging of the drivers heel rest and pedals, this will be removed with the TF106b at Monaco. "

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Also notice the distance between the wishbones and the distance between the upper wishbone and the top of the pushrod, this looks like a very bad twin keel system, almost a bodge job.

The thickness of that upper wishbone as well, it just looks stupid compared to those of the BMW, Honda, McLaren etc.

The McLaren's design is by far the best so far. I feel the Honda's is not far behind though, the "thicker nose" allows the wishbones to be a decent distance apart so the dont have to be so chunky. Still not sure about that track rod though...