Rosberg's laps, Skill or Transmission?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Rosberg's Skill or Williams' Seamless Shift Transmission?

Rosberg
93%
Transmission
7%

Total votes: 28

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Rosberg's laps, Skill or Transmission?

Just curious as to what you all think. Was Rosberg able to get the fastest laps because of his own skill or b/c of the new Williams transmission?

Scuderia_Russ

If it was about seamless shift then why didn't any of the quicker cars (McLaren, Ferrari Honda etc... let alone his team mate!!) set fastest lap seeing as they had the faster race cars and similar seamless shift gearboxes?! This was pure Rosberg skill in my opinion, he knows the circuit well because he won there in GP2 last year.

Tom

I saw him in GP2.
He's a real master at car control.
I know he will always be compared to his farther but today he proved to anyone watching closely, that he is a genuinly skilled young guy, who I'm sure will oneday be WC (hopefully 8 times)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Sawtooth-spike

Boy got skills, Watch out Alonso!
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

Both Williams drivers had same transmission and having in mind Webber's performance I'm sure that Roseberg has great talent. This first race is really not good sign of what can happen in the rest for the season because of the fact that only few teams were testing on that circuit (Schumacher drove almost 400 laps in Bahrain), than there were accidents and bad luck in qualifying and incidents in race for some.

As always we need to see several races where main players don't have incidents and tech problems to compare their true performance.

Rosberg has spun on qualifying, had incident with Klien, lost 45 seconds, changed nose, had unplanned visit to pits and still finished 7 th! Imagine where he would be if he started in top 10 and drove without problems!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

All Rosberg. The Williams is a pretty competitive car, and will shine in races to come. But hey, he set the quickest lap........ wow wow wow.

acer

Keep in mind that the car won't move unless there's a driver driving it. Rosberg has been very fast in Bahrain, great overtakings..... :)
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

jgredline

DaveKillens wrote:All Rosberg. The Williams is a pretty competitive car, and will shine in races to come. But hey, he set the quickest lap........ wow wow wow.
WELL SAID 8)
That Cosworth was impresive :D
To finish first, first you must finish.

joseff

If the tranny is any good, we'll see what it's worth at Sepang, with its long long straights.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

A superior and quicker shifting transmission may be good for a half second a lap, but all these cars are top notch in shift times. But when you consider that Shu and Alonso were in a battle and each, at a certain time in the race, pulled out all the stops in an effort to gain an advantage. So when you compare Rosberg's record lap in the face of the competition he faced, it's quite an amazing achievement.
I didn't witness the lap, but there is also another possibility. He may have caught a tow bahind an STR car on the straight, at the most opportune time. Even if that did happen, it's still amazing.

ketanpaul

setting the fastest lap for a rookie is WOW. Rosberg is here guys watch that williams

Ciro Pabón

"Nico has been here four months... but he is well over his age." Mark Webber

"He seems like an intelligent pilot, one who fights" Frank Williams

"... becoming champion of the world, this is my long term goal" Nico Rosberg

Jerez, day 4, best chrono for Rosberg
Valencia, day 1 AND day 2, Rosberg is the fastest. One tenth of a second over Raikkonen.

And, of course, he is the youngest man to test an F-1 car, at 17. And he has started more races at 20 than his father did in his entire career. And he was studying mechanical engineer.

Yes, it should be the transmission... :wink:
Ciro

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens wrote:...I didn't witness the lap, but there is also another possibility. He may have caught a tow bahind an STR car on the straight, at the most opportune time. Even if that did happen, it's still amazing.
It was more than just one fastest lap by Rosberg, he was taking time down several times.

Steven
Owner

Well this seamless shift thing is pointless as Williams will only introduce that new gearbox several GPs from now. At the moment they run a "normal" gearbox.

Scuderia_Russ

That's good news then if they are showing this sort of pace without it. I thought they had teething troubles with it but had managed to sort them out in time.