Just how close was Schuey to Winning Bahrain??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RH1300S
RH1300S

Just how close was Schuey to Winning Bahrain??

I only just picked this up....it seems that in the final session MS did a lap outside the 110% rule, so was denied one extra lap of fuel for the race start.

Given how close he was to FA at the last stop.........could that lap have cost him victory????

Tom

Possibly, I don't think so though.

Anyway, no point dwelling on what could have happened if...

If Senna hadn't died, MS might never have won a championship.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RH1300S
RH1300S

I don't want to drag up IF's - as Murray says IF is F1 spelt backwards...

My point was that the race was so close that the tiniest problem with a front runner was enough to cost them victory.

manchild
manchild

No way. Renault (Alonso) had things under control during the race. It is hard to follow someone on 1.5 - 0.5 sec for 44 laps unless you have better car. I think that Alonso was taking it easy and maintained constant pressure on Schuey which was all part of the tactics.

I really think that Ferrari's performance in Bahrain was based on intensive testing they had there before the beginning of the season. Repeating 1-2 in qualifying and being so good in race is not something I think we'll see in races to come unless they run with low fuel again which is only good for Saturday headlines about qualifying.
Last edited by manchild on 14 Mar 2006, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

gforce
gforce

Listen what Jean Todt thinks about it.

"I hate making predictions but he definitely would have been able to do one more lap and when you see that he was level with Alonso after the second pit stop, he would have been three tenths ahead and three-tenths would have meant being a few car's lengths ahead"

//From F1technical.net news. http://www.f1technical.net/news/2122

RH1300S
RH1300S

Of course I missed the other "if" - If FA had not made a mistake in qualy, he would have probably started on pole and cantered off into the sunset.............

Ifs ifs ifs

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Close only counts in horseshoes and hydrogen bombs.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Yeah, stupid thread really ....... sorry guys :D

taleed

offcourse!!

Spencifer_Murphy

I think Ron Dennis summed it up quite well when he was asked about Kimi's Bharain race on ITV's F1 coverage of Malaysia.

He was asked "Do you think that if Kimi hadn't had his accident in qualifying that he would have been in a position to win?"

to which Ron answered, "Well concidering he went from 20th to 3rd the mathematics say so yes. But that doesn't mean that that is what will happen in reality"

obviously those aerent the EXACT WORDS, but thats basically what remains in my memory of it.

Same is true for MS, had he had an extra lap of fuel, the mathematics say yes maybe he would have won, but how do we know he may not have hit traffic if he stayed out one lap later? There's a whole host of scenarios which could have conspired against MS....but also a whole host the could have helped had he pitted later. The truth is, he didnt have that lap of fuel, we all play by the same rules and MS, unfortunately for himself, got caught out by them. So we will never know.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.