Ferrari front wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
joseff

Ferrari front wing

Did I just see the upper element of the Ferrari wing *detach* from the nose at speed? Not just flexing to reduce the angle of attack, but actually separating from the nosecone.

Did anyone else see it too, or am I suffering heat stroke?

pompelmo
pompelmo

yes I saw it too...it's probably flexing from the down force therefore a little bit deatchind;)

Jason

West wrote:There's an article on speedtv.com that talks about it. I'm sure other websites have it.
quite similar these two
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

bhall
bhall

Yeah, the inner tips of the upper element do seem to detach from the monocoque under downforce. I can't think of how that would be advantageous though. Then again, I'm no aerodynamicist either.

Perhaps it must detach in order to keep from breaking when under an intense load. Or maybe it comes off to keep from deforming the upper wing's shape (a wing that flattens on the straights would really piss everyone off). Then again, maybe it's just a mistake.

Jason

bhallg2k wrote:Yeah, the inner tips of the upper element do seem to detach from the monocoque under downforce. I can't think of how that would be advantageous though. Then again, I'm no aerodynamicist either.

Perhaps it must detach in order to keep from breaking when under an intense load. Or maybe it comes off to keep from deforming the upper wing's shape (a wing that flattens on the straights would really piss everyone off). Then again, maybe it's just a mistake.
Yes I saw it wiggle time to time on straights, I saw 2 really really small pieces carbon fibre sticking to the nose cone. I don't know what is the use of let it wiggle like that :roll: .
I think Ferrari wuld let it fly off the front wing and smash into other drivers airbox.(joke) :lol: :lol: :lol:

joseff

After having another good look, it doesn't look as if the airflow is causing the upper element to detach by itself. Instead, the main (lower) span actually flexes down, pulling the upper element off the nose.

bhall
bhall

joseff wrote:After having another good look, it doesn't look as if the airflow is causing the upper element to detach by itself. Instead, the main (lower) span actually flexes down, pulling the upper element off the nose.
Exactly.

I'm thinking that it's able to detach (and not all that much, really) so that the upper element doesn't simply break off from the monocoque as it's being pulled from the outside.

Jason

High risk to let it loose like that. If wind is blowing hard the wing would break off and hit someone behind, BAR did it last year but theirs were totally sticked to the noso cone and it do'sent flex up and down either. Ferrari let it flex up and down to cut drag or maximising straight line speed I guess :roll: . But the question is let it flex for what?

Steven
Owner

I noticed it already in Bahrain, and I think there is nothing illegal about it.

The upper element is attached to the nose with a small pin that prevents the upper element to move in vertical direction. However, it can move away from the nose.

That said, how does it move away?
Well that is quite simple too: it flexes away at high speeds. As with every front wing out there, the ends bend down under high speeds because of air pushing the wing down (and the wing pushing it up -> downforce).
However, it is beneficial to have it bent down, since a low to the ground wing generates downforce by low pressure under the wing (like a diffuser).
The only think Ferrari did with this pin is to not prevent that effect.

Just take a look at any front wing during a race, they all bend down (except for Honda maybe who have a fixed upper element).

Sawtooth-spike

aparently they will have to change it for the next race. cus aload of teams were about to complain about it.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Jason

If they put one pin = they did'nt do they're homework, it would spin vertically at high speeds and FIA would black flagged them :lol:

m3_lover

I do not see any advantages, it is not like the wing is moving up and down, it just moves horizontal. I am not a ferrari fan, but technically they are not cheating but a lot of teams are making a big stink. Everybody knows that cheating/loopholes is essential in motorsports racing.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Sawtooth-spike

its said that it allows the front wing to twist, Thus allowing Less drag on the straights. There must be an advantage otherwise they would not do it. As for it being ilegal its a grey area at the moment, but i think that will be sorted soon.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Jason

Sawtooth-spike wrote:its said that it allows the front wing to twist, Thus allowing Less drag on the straights. There must be an advantage otherwise they would not do it. As for it being ilegal its a grey area at the moment, but i think that will be sorted soon.
It's flexs only on straights on not corners so it's use to lessen drag on straights. It can be very useful in Monza were drag is very concern. i don't it should be use in Monaco and Hungary since those two tracks require high downforce.

The 2 flaps can be useful for blocking driver to overtake if it breaks off and hangs on the endplate.(joke) :lol:

Steven
Owner

Well, the air pushes the wing down and rearward, which also means that it twist a bit at both ends. Especially the second flap will bend down as it has a bigger angle of attack initially.

However, as the wing bends down, it can generate downforce as a diffuser a bit more, and a bit less like a classic wing. Considering that a diffuser creates downforce with less drag than a normal wing, this idd helps reduce drag. ;)