Vibration

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
m3_lover

Vibration

Watching the races so far, I have noticed on the Renaults and Mclaren cars that the left mirror is vibrating really bad, but on the right it seems okay, does anybody have any reasons why it is vibrating on the left side so much?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Jason

Re: Vibration

m3_lover wrote:Watching the races so far, I have noticed on the Renaults and Mclaren cars that the left mirror is vibrating really bad, but on the right it seems okay, does anybody have any reasons why it is vibrating on the left side so much?
I don't think it's vibration but I think the team purposely left it shake to reduce turbulence I think. If it's vibration will last the whole race? But there's 1 thing weird......why let the left shake and not both left and right? :roll: .
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Apex
Apex

Did you guys notice that Montoyas' left mirror broke off!
Dont dream it, do it.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

On both the Renaults and McLarens each mirror does vibrate, but the left much more so than the right. Also, they seem to vibrate more as a function of speed, rather than engine vibration. Only on the fast straights did the mirrors really start to dance. On braking, cornering, and even accelerating out of corners, no noticeable shake.
My opinion is that these mirrors are being severely buffeted by airflow under high speed.

Apex
Apex

I agree with Dave :wink:
Dont dream it, do it.

f1.redbaron

I remember seeing the same vibration from the Mclarens at the last year's Australian GP.

Tom

Again, why only the left.

It was the same in Bahrain, but I put it down to the high winds.

Perhaps the drivers only ever use one, and the other is there to comply with the rules, therefore is not held on so well to save a couple of grams.

Can't think of another explanation.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

walter
walter

the reason for one and not the other may lie in the mirror's asymetrical shape, not with the left and right, but of the sides of each mirror. The angle of approach of the wind may have something to do with it, but even in this case the other mirror should vibrate as well if the car is going the opposite way, I taped the race, will look for it when I watch it again.

Spencifer_Murphy

Its actually way way simpler than that. Its true the buffeting is caused by airflow, but the left moves more than the right because....

....there's a TV camera in the left mirror, it adds weight.

Bit of an anti-climax really :lol:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Jason

The mirror is dancing like crazy on straights, is it designed to shake like this or it's just a coincedence :roll: ????
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

ginsu
ginsu

DaveKillens wrote: My opinion is that these mirrors are being severely buffeted by airflow under high speed.
Technically, you can call it 'periodic vortex shedding'. If the frequency of the shedding vortices matches a the resonance frequency of the structure both can contructively interfere causing high amplitude vibrations.

....there's a TV camera in the left mirror, it adds weight.
And I thought it was airflow, oh well no monster vortices. :)
I love to love Senna.

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

I'm not sure whether it is still true, but in the past the right hand side wing mirror contained the transmitter to 'beam' a burst of telemetry data back to the team each time the car went through the pit straight. When I visited the Ferrari garage a few years back they had a protective shield over the rhs mirror.

That might account for a difference between the rhs and lhs mirrors, perhaps the transmitter mirrir needs to be attached more strongly to avoid any doppler issues as it is transmitting data.... just a thought.
Mike

Tom

Hang on.

I thought there was a camera in both?

Also, what is that at the front of the A1 GP car cockpit. 2 short pillars on each side.

Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

Perhaps vibration of mirror has something to do with asymetrical aero Mclaren has?

Principessa

manchild wrote:Perhaps vibration of mirror has something to do with asymetrical aero Mclaren has?
But you see it on the R26 too :oops: