Red Bull's boxy mirrors

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Red Bull's boxy mirrors

I just noticed this one, very strange to see such a boxy mirror when I think that could be shaped up a lot better. Any ideas for the reason to do it like that?

Scuderia_Russ

Well spotted Tomba. That is very odd isn't it?! Why would Newey allow something that's drag city central?

Sawtooth-spike

they look like Little golf Clubs. Could it be to do with the vibrations?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Scuderia_Russ

I would have thought that any team could easily run a mirror with less vibration without having it shaped like a toaster.

scarbs
scarbs

may be the mirror (which has been modified and resited with the cooling\sidepod update) works with the flow over the sidepods, the underside seems to match the leading edge of the sidepods, leaving the top surface paralell square to the ground.

Steven
Owner

I have no idea, but it's indeed very odd. Although the support is very thin (like the other teams), it is also very long.

In chat yesterday with the Renault F1 team they said vibrating mirrors are just because of weight issues. Making them vibrate less would mean extra weight. They don't seem to take it that much into account at Red Bull.

However, could it be that with such a mirror, the drag actually helps the mirror not to move vertically?

PS: To those who see some of their post removed, note that especially in the technical forums I am quite harsh on meaningless stuff

Tom

Bear in mind though, there is much more to aerodynamics than just looking at the shape.

I could even deflect some of the air straight into the sidepods, meaning smaller bargeboards?

Perhaps it is a new aero masterpiece that can only be seen in the wind tunnel.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Nah, that shape should be dead on.

Don't forget, in the grand scheme of things, F1 cars are pretty slow, so bluff bodies like that don't really create much turbulence at their leading surfaces, as long as the curves are smooth, and the radii of the fillets looks big enough to me.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Those mirrors may not contribute too much to drag. But they sure add some nice advertising space.

rsfocus
rsfocus

DaveKillens wrote:Those mirrors may not contribute too much to drag. But they sure add some nice advertising space.
of which red bull need plenty of :?: :?:

dont think so...

m3_lover

I thought Red bull has no advertisers and then I noticed the word Rauch, anybody if red bull owns that or what is Rauch is?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Spencifer_Murphy

Nah they do have 1 or 2 sponsors...Rauch is one of them. They cant fund the cars on their own. Well thats what I assue...

...I guess they could but hey, if sum1 wants to pay you to race cars are you gonna turn it down???
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DarkSnape

:D cool i never seen somethink like that to boxy maybe it`s for intimidation :)