JV & Massa

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RH1300S
RH1300S

JV & Massa

I thought has wandered into my mind........last year I was pretty happy to damn JV as being past his best, struggling to keep pace with young Massa.

Of course, on the strength of two races at Ferrari - I must say Massa looks pretty good right now.

Fair to conclude that JV was doing a decent job??? (maybe still not a World Champions job 'though ;))

Principessa

Perhaps Massa was faster last year in the Sauber, but Jacques Villeneuve is more valuable for an F1 Team! Villeneuve is a real Champion and he really knows what has to change about the car to improve him. I think that there aren't much drivers like JV that give such good data to the engineers.

And if you watch the last two races, Massa wasn't the only one doing good! Villeneuve drove solid races too!!

Sodder
Sodder

I agree. I belive that the team changing hands is a good thin sor BMW Sauber, and if they keep it up we will contiune to see JV getting faster and faster.

(I'm not really an ardent JV supporter but I do think he will be getting closer to his championship form as time goes on.)
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

m3_lover

I think JV sorted out his hairstyle, then thinks will be back to normal, he has the worst hairstyle in f1 and in the world, but he is a competent driver though
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

I think you are overlooking Bernie (and myself!)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

joseff

m3_lover wrote:he has the worst hairstyle in f1 and in the world
No, he won't have hair to style for much longer. Enjoy it while you still can...

ketanpaul

Even I was one of those who were of the opinion that JV should retire, but the last two races have really changed my perspective. He is rare class and F1 should hold on to him.

Principessa

Well good that you've come to your sences paul :wink: !
JV is really someone special and a real treasure for F1! Look at all the fans he has! He's still so popular after all these years

jaslfc
jaslfc

but i miss the jv of 96&97... i wish with bmw he gets back to the top. unfortunately i think he wil only get a drive next year in bmw if he does better than heidfeld!

m3_lover

I think this is JV last year as a driver, the only reason BMW took him was that his contract was water tight and to buy him out would be a lot of $$$, my prediction, this is giong to be his last year as a driver.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2370

I would like another year of JV :wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

With regards to pace I think JV is still way past his best. Recently he mentioned that Mark Webber is "Fantastic" that he "Is a great qualifier" and that "Sometimes his pace in qualifying makes his racing seem substandard, but it is actually very good" he followed this up sying Mark should be careful not to be content in poor cars as "Once in a slow car as a driver you become used to this and you loose your edge." A hint at his own decline after racing in those abysmal BAR's (as bad as my spelling? lol). And I share the opinion of Patrick Head who says that JV "Made hard work of winning the [1997] championship", personally I dont believe he would have won it if that Williams was so dominant. HOWEVER, I DO think that JV still has so much to offer a team, he is a proven race winner, and a champion none-the-less, with a decade of experience under his belt and the ability to speak his mind. He can help a new team like BMW in so many ways, and from the perspective of Sauber (seeing as BMW is at heart Sauber) he can really help them progress with his near unrivaled knowledge. To top it off JV is a real character, and like Stoddy & Irvine despite their poor performance in thier last years in the sport (Stoddy's team that is, and Irvines pace in the Jag's) those sort of characters will be sorely missed in F1. As Nigel Mansell put it recently, "F1 needs mavericks, like Hunt, Irvine, JV [etc]"
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ketanpaul

Exactly, BMW can be a real championship contender in a few years if it really takes JV crticism in a positive manner. I have always felt that JV always said the right things but was kinda rude conveying it to the engineers and that made him unpopular. But I do see the good side of his attitude specially how he praised Webber in spite of he being in Williams. I think Mario wouldnt be too happy with his remarks but thats who JV is and nobody should try and change how frank he is in his opinion.

Principessa

I don't think he said it in a rude way to the engineers, but I think that perhaps they felt like he was telling them how to do their job....!