Is Nissan at all part of Renault F1?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Is Nissan at all part of Renault F1?

As the subject says, I was wondering about how much Nissan, since it is owned I think by Renault, has contributed to the F1 team, e.g. in engine/car/aero design, etc.

Anyone know?

West
West

Renault own 44% of Nissan while Nissan owns 50% of Renault, for anybody's interest.

I heard a Nissan guy worked on Renault's launch control and possibly TC
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild
manchild

Well, people from Skoda made pistons for Renault V6 turbo F1 engines so it doesn't get weirder than that. :wink:

m3_lover

I would guess Renault would have access to information regarding Nissan's involvement in motorsports like the JTCC and other events. BTW Manchild that piece of info regarding Skoda is just plain wierd.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

Helix Skoda F1 LTD!

maybe thats one of the 22 teams mentioned in general chat.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

m3_lover

I wouldn't suspect Skoda to be entered as a team from VW, if anything Audi would be the closet thing to compete against Mercedes and BMW just like in the DTM series.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

It can be weird at first glance but having in mind what Skoda was before WWII and Russian ocupation than it isnt surprising at all. Czechoslovakia is very famous by its metallurgy and excellent craftsman so Renault obviously didn’t knock on their doors by accident. Even though there was cold war and "Iron curtain" dividing Europe in two, still Skoda was the only factory that could produce pistons according to specific demands from Renault.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I kinda doubt Nissan's involvement in Renault's F1 program though. Renault is a lot more experience in the field of open wheel cars(and F1 engines in particular), while Nissan has very little openwheel experience as a whole.

vyselegend

Yes I think Renault is most interested by the knowlege and experience Nissan have on front engined propulsions and 4 wheels drive, and most of all it's all about sharing technologies and chassis for production cars, I don't think Nissan is involved in the F1 program.

Darkrain
Darkrain

For captainmorgan and West, Renault own 44.4% of Nissan while Nissan own 15% of Renault, so that Renault control Nissan.
Carlos Ghosn is President & CEO of Nissan and Renault.

I didn't heard so much about Nissan involved in F1. Nissan doesn't have knowlege and experience in F1 world. You can't enter this world without these, as you can see with Toyota dificulty to win a race in F1 although they have a huge budget and experience in others sport car field.

wazojugs

with regard to the lauch control i thought renault spoke to an american dragster team and have installed a 2 stage clutch.... am i wrong

zac510
zac510

I thought Ghosn moved on from the Presidency?

manchild
manchild

zac510 wrote:I thought Ghosn moved on from the Presidency?
Louis Schweitzer was replaced by Carlos Ghosn less than a year ago (President and CEO of Renault since May 2005, he remains Co-Chairman, President and CEO of Nissan).

zac510
zac510

Ah, see Ghosn was President/CEO of Nissan about 4 years ago, but he must have taken over the same role at Renault too.

Frenchblock
Frenchblock

yes there is a engine's electronic team that worked for renault , from nissan, even Mclaren tried to hire the guy, but he came back to japan!

it's true, TC is co devloped with Nissan R&D section!

this days, Renault lead the diesel devlopment design while Nissan lead the fuel engine devlopment design for all Renault brands, Nissan included!